FRN Caly - am I alone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in an FRN Caly?

Yes, yes I am
62%
No siree
38%

Total votes: 98

elena86

Post by elena86 »

A FRN Caly Jr. come back would be nice.This time with adjustable pivot.And VG10.But no liners.Keep it simple.
sal

Post by sal »

We can discuss the possibility, but at this time, I question whether or not the market would be there to support a Caly3 FRN. If we did do one, we'd make it like the D4, with nested skeletonized liners. The bi-directional texture is nice. We've done it in the original Native, Calypso and the new Endel 4 series. (Stretch, D'fly, ladybug & manbug). Don't know what pattern we'd use on a Caly.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bi-directional is great.
But seriously, I think a sprint G10 would be great, too. You know the market better than any of us, Sal, so I'm cool with whatever you do or don't. I really miss my G10 VG10 one. Why did I mod such a perfect blade? Kick me in the buttocks, please!

- best wishes, Jazz.
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

sal wrote:We can discuss the possibility, but at this time, I question whether or not the market would be there to support a Caly3 FRN. If we did do one, we'd make it like the D4, with nested skeletonized liners. The bi-directional texture is nice. We've done it in the original Native, Calypso and the new Endel 4 series. (Stretch, D'fly, ladybug & manbug). Don't know what pattern we'd use on a Caly.

sal
I would buy at least 7. I'd love to see the bi-directional pattern with a few different colors.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

sal wrote:We can discuss the possibility, but at this time, I question whether or not the market would be there to support a Caly3 FRN. If we did do one, we'd make it like the D4, with nested skeletonized liners. The bi-directional texture is nice. We've done it in the original Native, Calypso and the new Endel 4 series. (Stretch, D'fly, ladybug & manbug). Don't know what pattern we'd use on a Caly.

sal
I think there would be a definite market, I just am unsure as to whether it would justify the cost of the new mold. There have been a number of requests for a Delica with a choil and a wire clip. A Caly 3 in FRN solves that, IMO.

Bi-directional would be fine. Now excuse my ignorance, but is there anyway you could adapt the mold of the current FRN UKPK's? They already have the Caly 3 handle shape and cut outs for wire clips.
thewoodpecker

Re: FRN Caly - am I alone?

Post by thewoodpecker »

I love the Caly 3.5 platform and would really love to see an FRN version similar to the UKPK but locking. Lightweight, FRN with multiple steel options would be a game changer. HAP40, Super Blue or K390 anyone? ;)
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.