FRN Caly - am I alone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in an FRN Caly?

Yes, yes I am
62%
No siree
38%

Total votes: 98

Jazz

FRN Caly - am I alone?

Post by Jazz »

Am I alone in really wishing there was an FRN Caly 3? You'd think such a great and popular design would have made it that far. Either linerless or designed like the Delicas - would be awesome, in my opinion. Might as well be BRG with ZDP 189 blade, while we're at it, though VG 10 is great, too.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the problem is that if you make it FRN and make it cheaper, it starts to eat into Delica sales.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You have a point, but it'd also sell well, I think, and I still love my Delicas.

- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am huge Caly fan. But strongly prefer Caly3: liners, no swedge, tip down carry. Still if Spyderco will make Caly Jr VG10/FRN (the next best thing) sprint most likely I would buy couple for my nephews.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey Jazz. I totally hear ya!

The Caly project is more aficionado aligned. Personally FRN is my fave material but I'm not sure everyone would agree.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:Hey Jazz. I totally hear ya!

The Caly project is more aficionado aligned. Personally FRN is my fave material but I'm not sure everyone would agree.
I'm in agreement. Most days FRN is my favorite too. I love my FRN Caly Jrs, I'm taking the maroon ZDP to work tomorrow, just touching it up now.

I'd love to see an FRN Caly, but from what I understand tooling brand new FRN molds is not cheap.
beatlman87

Post by beatlman87 »

Maybe they could just use the handles from a UKPK and throw a lock on it and a Caly balde?
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

beatlman87 wrote:Maybe they could just use the handles from a UKPK and throw a lock on it and a Caly balde?
I would rather see handles like the Squeak's personally.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

avocadobbq wrote:I would rather see handles like the Squeak's personally.
I too am a fan of the frn scales on the squeak.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
dialex

Post by dialex »

Ummm... guys, there already IS a FRN Caly. And it used to come in various flavors, with handles ranging from common black to gray or even burgundy

For my part, I would very much like an H1 blade with yellow FRN scales. Cosidering that full flat grind is not an option with H1, they could use a high grind like at the H1 Dragonfly :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I still need to get a Caly.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've got a grey VG10 and a burgundy ZDP Caly Jr. The fish-scale patterned FRN is one of my favorites and I would certainly pick up another color/steel if it were offered. They are incredibly thin and lightweight. I like Dialex's idea for one in H1, which is very appropriate with the fish-scale pattern.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

To be honest I'd rather see less FRN used on folders.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal's already sounded amenable to the possibility of another FRN Calypso Jr Sprint, so there's probably a better chance of that than of an FRN Caly 3 which would require expensive new molds and tooling. However, a Caly 3 style blade with no spine bevel might be possible.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

If we did another FRN Caly, it would either be a sprint of the Caly Jr. or we'd tool up for a Caly 3 model in FRN. However, most of the comments have been to keep the caly 3 & Caly 3.5 in slab scales. Why would you want an FRN version of a Caly 3 or 3.5?

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:If we did another FRN Caly, it would either be a sprint of the Caly Jr. or we'd tool up for a Caly 3 model in FRN. However, most of the comments have been to keep the caly 3 & Caly 3.5 in slab scales. Why would you want an FRN version of a Caly 3 or 3.5?

sal
I'm a big FRN fan. It's light, tough, doesn't lose it's grippyness, and looks great in whatever color you do it in. I'm picturing, just to be clear, a Caly 3 with Delica-like texturing. What brought this to my mind was the fact that there's no more G10 Caly 3 in the lineup, which I really miss (I modded mine and really wish I didn't :( ). A linerless UKPK with a lock would be just as awesome, though... :p ... or just bring back the G10 Caly 3. Whatever you do, I'll be happy - I still have a pile of Delicas and a ZDP Caly 3. Thanks for the comment, Sal.

- best wishes, Jazz.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

sal wrote:If we did another FRN Caly, it would either be a sprint of the Caly Jr. or we'd tool up for a Caly 3 model in FRN. However, most of the comments have been to keep the caly 3 & Caly 3.5 in slab scales. Why would you want an FRN version of a Caly 3 or 3.5?

sal
Sir,
I'm not sure if your questions was rhetorical or not, but I'll attempt to answer anyway. I feel I already have an FRN version of the Caly 3 in the UK Penknife, minus the lock and FFG of course. The CF ZDP Caly 3 is my most carried knife. I love the ergonomics, but there are sometimes I'd rather carry a knife that is a little less nice/refined. That is when I carry a Delica or Salt, or FRN UK. So do I need a FRN Caly 3/3.5? - No, I don't. I have knives to fill it's void.

Do I want an FRN Caly? Absolutely. Why? I'd love a FRN, FFG,locking version of the UK Penknife. I think I'd be more likely to carry it on my outdoor adventures than my CF Caly. As stated above, it may displace my Delica from my pocket on occasions, but can we ever have too many options?

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

sal
Sal,
For one I think making a FRN Caly 3 or 3.5 would give those of us who just don't care that much for G-10 or other materials a nice option away from the Delica and Endura. Perhaps using the wire clip and smoother scales similar to the UKPK series would make these a bit more desirable for people who wear slacks or have less durable pockets. I tend to think of the Delica and Endura as straight working knives and by making something like the Caly 3 or 3.5 FRN they would fill a role as a bit more refined EDC. Something that would be at home in an office setting as well as in a field setting. Another thing that might make these sell is the pointed tip, something that the Delica and Endura now lack. I realize why the pointed tip of the Delica and Endura III's was discontinued for the IV's yet I still prefer having a knife with a sharp tip and that's part of what attracted me to Spyderco in the first place.

On a more personal preference note I wouldn't mind to see these (if they are ever made) to be linerless. I realize that I'm in the minority there but I haven't broken any of my Endura or Delica III's nor my Native yet and they have minimal blade play. Either way I'd love to see more FRN options and wouldn't mind paying a bit more if that was a what is required.

Thanks for chiming in Sal.
sal

Post by sal »

Good info. Thanx. What would be the preferred texture?

My leaning would still be for a lined model. While the wire clip doesn't need a liner, the pivots gain some for having them.....but that too is up for discussion. Skeletonized liners don't add much weight, but add rigidity, kinda like an internal skeleton.

I carry a 3.5 quite a bit. It's legal in my part of the world and large enough for food processing (fruit, etc). I also like FRN for it's toughness and lower final cost. Tooling is expensive so the investment must be considered as a long term model.

We felt that the Slipits that we're making in FRN would be around long term because of the trend in laws worldwide is to non-lockers. The UK, Squeak, Pingo models are legal in most places as EDC's.

The Caly 3/3.5 is more of an afi model and we'd have to determine if the market is large enough to support the tooling costs long term.

sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd be just as happy with a special sprint run of the Caly Jr., while tooling investment goes into new designs.
:bug-red-white