Would like to get into the Mule project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Clip

Would like to get into the Mule project

Post by Clip »

Hey again all,

Another thought's been floating around in my head for a while now. I'd like to break into the Mule project, seems like a great idea as described on Spyderco's website and from the praise I've seen in all the forums.

My only problem (and I saw this mentioned in another search on here) is that there are several Mules currently available. I've eliminated MT9 for my own reasons, but am having a hard time between MT12 Cruwear and MT13 Elmax.

I know Elmax is a stainless and Cruwear is supposed to be very tough, but I'd like to see some actual user feedback as to the pros and cons of each steel (taking an edge, holding an edge, etc.).

A note: I wouldn't be in this situation if I'd kept up starting with 52100!
jossta

Post by jossta »

Between the two, I'd go for Elmax. It's stainless and still VERY tough. I can almost guarantee too that it will end up being to more desired and harder to get once they're both gone.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Clip,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

When you start to get into these materials and learning more about them it begins to get a little nutty ;) All are good, all will take a fine edge and keep it, the debates come up when you start splitting hairs :eek:

Get either or both :) Experience the blade material, enjoy and report back with your impressions :) We are lucky to have found Spyderco :D The Super Blue Mule has been very enjoyable for me as well as the M390 which has not been used enough yet :o .

Go for it, play, and test the limits :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Ol' KL

Post by Ol' KL »

Well I have both. I haven't used them much, but I say Elmax all the way based on my impressions. The Cruwear I have has some of the pitting described on other threads. It is very sharp, but I don't like the pitting. It bothers me. I'm not sure how it will effect the performance...probably not much, but the Elmax looks perfect and has a reputation for being very good steel.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks to you guys, an MT13 is on its way :) Now I just have to get out of this apartment and back to the shop where I can put some real handles on it.

I gotta say, I've never had as good an experience as I have with Spyderco. It's definitely going to keep me coming back.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Good snag Clip. I say if you ca swing the cash, get the Cruwear too. I didn't like the pitting at first, but it has grown on me alot. The steel performance is really great and responds well to stropping with or without compound. On a side note, the finish on the Cruwear (both perimeter machining and surface) is a really briliant semi-mirror shine. The more I use it the more I really want to order a second to keep in case.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

I might pick it up once I get the Elmax in my hand. Have a feeling it'll overcome me like some kind of hunger after I get the first one.

Wouldn't happen to be from Franklin, would you?

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Work there and been living here in SW Virginia all my life.
*Landon*
Clip

Post by Clip »

Just last August I graduated from Tech and moved away from Salem (born and raised) to take a job here in Bowling Green, KY. Not the same without the mountains so I'm constantly keeping an eye out for openings :)

Glad to see something familiar once in a while.

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

You ever get a chance to come back for a break, we will have to get together and go to New Graham for a blade run!
*Landon*
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Get the other one as well. You will regret later, once they are gone for good. Once you start buying mules.....
Welcome on board!

Tomas
Tom
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Between the two, I'd go for Elmax. It's stainless and still VERY tough. I can almost guarantee too that it will end up being to more desired and harder to get once they're both gone.
That's a tough call. Cruwear is still a lot more rare. Elmax isn't very rare at all. It looks to be gaining in popularity so it'll be even more common. Cruwear you likely will never see again, and only run across it's name in steel lists and threads about the mule team project.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ol' KL,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

The only answer I have is get both. But I realize that's not for everyone. There are pros for both sides. Any idea what type of handle you will want to put on it?
Clip

Post by Clip »

I've got something in mind that's a little...different than what I've seen so far. Will post pics with progress eventually as I think it'll take a while.

And thanks to you enablers I'll probably order a cruwear tomorrow.

Chris