Paramilitary 2 vs Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Paramilitary 2 vs Shaman

Post by Woodpuppy »

vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:38 am
I'm glad we see so much M4 from Spyderco. It's been in my top 3 carbon steels for ages. Very well balanced in terms of edge holding and ease of sharpness, with more toughness than I need in a folder.
Me too!!

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 am
I am generally a pretty big fan of tool steels. If feel like the Shaman just calls for a tough tool steel. The PM2 would be great in a S90V or even S110V, I do T think you would be splitting wood with it.

Right now I use a guided/free hand Work Sharp system for my knives. It uses diamond stones and has no issue cutting steels so far.
KnifeCenter just recently ran a Shaman exclusive in s90v and brown burlap micarta. I am really sad to have missed that one.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP229B ... -exclusive
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:09 am
vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:38 am
I'm glad we see so much M4 from Spyderco. It's been in my top 3 carbon steels for ages. Very well balanced in terms of edge holding and ease of sharpness, with more toughness than I need in a folder.
Me too!!

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:25 am
I am generally a pretty big fan of tool steels. If feel like the Shaman just calls for a tough tool steel. The PM2 would be great in a S90V or even S110V, I do T think you would be splitting wood with it.

Right now I use a guided/free hand Work Sharp system for my knives. It uses diamond stones and has no issue cutting steels so far.
KnifeCenter just recently ran a Shaman exclusive in s90v and brown burlap micarta. I am really sad to have missed that one.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP229B ... -exclusive
That is really nice. I guess I will just have to wait a bit for something to drop.

Are store exclusive knives announced in Revels?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

+ for Shaman:
* Strong blade with durable tip, of course it's still not a prybar.
* Nice handle to blade ratio, you don't have extra half inch of empty handle when closed.
* G10 feel very solid and pleasant. It's not slippery to me.
* Good looking design with nice blade finish. Native family is better looking than Military family.
* I like personally when blade is wider than handle.
* You can front flip it.
* Pocket clip is in harmony with lanyard hole.
- for Shaman:
* Heavy compared to PM2, with same cutting edge length, but it's not that bad.
* Thicker behind the edge, but that's a price for stronger blade
* Nob on ricasso may iritate when closing, you can get used to it
* It's big in pocket
* Cutting edge could be longer, ricasso shorter

+ for PM2:
* Good weight compared to size
* Better slicer than Shaman
* More grippy handle

- for PM2:
* It's very personal but scales feel very plastic in bad way, because how thin and shallow they're on this large handle, longer than in Shaman
* Lanyard hole terrorised pocket clip placement and it's sometimes pain during dissasemble
* I don't like big nob on ricasso, Para 3 has it much better done. Because cutting edge is much higher than end of ricasso in PM2, it creates impression of blade that was resharpened too many times. Especially when you close the knife and see how much room there is for longer blade. That's why I have Shaman and I've got rid off both PM2's I had.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, here you have two of my favorite knives. Throw in the Manix and you have all three.

You cannot go wrong with any of them. I have several of each and am in the mood to carry one one day and another on another day. The question for you is probably which one to buy next. I enjoy them all, and life would not be as good as it is without any one of them.

All that being said, and ignoring the Manix for now. The PM2 is really more of what people expect in an EDC knife. Slimmer and lighter. Now me, I like having the stouter Shaman in my pocket and have never been annoyed by it in any way, so I am certainly willing to call it an EDC knife, but some people would look sideways at that statement.

The Manix XL is just too big. I have one, and sort of regret the purchase.

The Native is just too small. I have one and sometimes do carry it (such as when backpacking and trying to really put the squeeze on myself to reduce every bit of weight). But I really prefer the PM2/Shaman/Manix blade size for an all around knife where you have things to do.

Me, I love the thick stout Shaman blade, but some people don't like it.

The Manix is a fantastic knife and should be considered right alongside these two.

But again, you can't make a wrong decision -- unless you are one of these people looking for the one perfect knife.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix XL carries really well IWB or in a side pocket. Large folders in general are a lot less noticeable that way.

:unicorn
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:54 am
Well, here you have two of my favorite knives. Throw in the Manix and you have all three.

You cannot go wrong with any of them. I have several of each and am in the mood to carry one one day and another on another day. The question for you is probably which one to buy next. I enjoy them all, and life would not be as good as it is without any one of them.

All that being said, and ignoring the Manix for now. The PM2 is really more of what people expect in an EDC knife. Slimmer and lighter. Now me, I like having the stouter Shaman in my pocket and have never been annoyed by it in any way, so I am certainly willing to call it an EDC knife, but some people would look sideways at that statement.

The Manix XL is just too big. I have one, and sort of regret the purchase.

The Native is just too small. I have one and sometimes do carry it (such as when backpacking and trying to really put the squeeze on myself to reduce every bit of weight). But I really prefer the PM2/Shaman/Manix blade size for an all around knife where you have things to do.

Me, I love the thick stour Shaman blade, but some people don't like it.

The Manix is a fantastic knife and should be considered right alongside these two.

But again, you can't make a wrong decision -- unless you are one of these people looking for the one perfect knife.
I have the G-10 Manix in S30V and I have been very happy with it as a EDC. My only problem I have with it is the cutting edge seems a bit small for the size of knife it is. Otherwise been my go to knife for 8 years or so.

I am leaning Shaman next if I can find the right one at the right price. Just something about it looks cool even though the PM2 is probably the better office EDC. I also agree my friends Manix XL did feel big.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Manix (which you know) and the PM2 are for me interchangeable. The same weight, basic size, and so forth. All kinds of design details are different, but I use either one without much noticing the difference.

The Shaman is very different. The thicker blade steel makes it feel very different in use (but has always been to my liking).
The other big difference is the contoured G10 (or Micarta or whatever) on the handle. As near as I can tell, that is what you are paying extra for, those are extra steps in production. I like the result and find it very much worth it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:26 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:26 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:47 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:37 pm
Theres only less distance from the grip to the cutting edge if you are not using the shamans choil grip. And the shaman has an amazing choil grip, you just dont like it.

Also to take the Manix XL down a peg or two. The ergos arent good unless you have giant hands. I have big hands and even I think the handle is overkill. The hook at the butt of the handle is annoying. Like all manixes the handle jimping is ridiculous. And the biggest offender is that the handle size makes operating the ball bearing lock difficult for many people.
Evil D wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:26 am
This is ultimately why I never bought the XL and stopped carrying the standard version, I don't like how you need to get leverage on the butt end of the handle to pull the lock back. Even with big hands I don't like how I have to hold the handle just right to get it unlocked and the XL made this worse for me.

1.) Is the handle really overkill? To be clear: I have no experience with the Manix XL (just the standard version), but the XLs handle looks to be of the same height and width, just a bit longer.

2.) Imo the CBBL is really not hard to use, and their are quite some methods to choose from.
I did a thread and vids once about six of those methods to close a CBBL one handed, see here:

viewtopic.php?t=87806#p1459252

- If one uses two fingers (thumb and index finger) to pull the lock tabs one can use the clip as "leverage point". Nod need to use the butt end in my experience

- Or, again using two fingers: Just close it somewhat like many people close a backlock (so let the choil drop on your middle finger) - this way one can grip the knife "fully", again no need to use the butt end.

See HERE (one of the vids I mentioned above): https://streamable.com/ar7okf

- Imo no need to use two fingers for pulling the locktabs anyway. Thumb alone is enough, and this offers this method for example , where one can use the opening hole as "leverage point":

See here: https://streamable.com/79jhhr

For three more methods see the first link in this post.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 pm

1.) Is the handle really overkill? To be clear: I have no experience with the Manix XL (just the standard version), but the XLs handle looks to be of the same height and width, just a bit longer.

2.) Imo the CBBL is really not hard to use, and their are quite some methods to choose from.
I did a thread and vids once about six of those methods to close a CBBL one handed, see here:

viewtopic.php?t=87806#p1459252

- If one uses two fingers (thumb and index finger) to pull the lock tabs one can use the clip as "leverage point". Nod need to use the butt end in my experience

- Or, again using two fingers: Just close it somewhat like many people close a backlock (so let the choil drop on your middle finger) - this way one can grip the knife "fully", again no need to use the butt end.

See HERE (one of the vids I mentioned above): https://streamable.com/ar7okf

- Imo no need to use two fingers for pulling the locktabs anyway. Thumb alone is enough, and this offers this method for example , where one can use the opening hole as "leverage point":

See here: https://streamable.com/79jhhr

For three more methods see the first link in this post.

Gotta be honest man, I'm at a point where I don't really care enough to use a knife that requires that I learn different methods to live with it when there are other models that I don't. Know what I mean? If it doesn't come naturally then the rest of the knife had better be absolutely perfect for me to put that kind of effort into it, and this model isn't that perfect for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yeah. CBBL, Compression lock, who cares? They both work fine and I love them both. I am not worked up about learning fancy techniques to open my knife one handed, blind folded, left handed, etc. etc. I just use my knife and cut stuff, then close it up.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I agree in principle, but man, on a cbbl you just gotta pull a sliding tab back with a thumb. it's so easy.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 pm
Gotta be honest man, I'm at a point where I don't really care enough to use a knife that requires that I learn different methods to live with it when there are other models that I don't. Know what I mean? If it doesn't come naturally then the rest of the knife had better be absolutely perfect for me to put that kind of effort into it, and this model isn't that perfect for me.
Tucson Tom wrote: Yeah. CBBL, Compression lock, who cares? They both work fine and I love them both. I am not worked up about learning fancy techniques to open my knife one handed, blind folded, left handed, etc. etc. I just use my knife and cut stuff, then close it up.
I get and respect what you mean, David!

But, honestly: All this "methods" came completely "naturally" and easily in my case, just from "using my knife and cut stuff, then close it up" (to quote Tom ;) )

Actually, the "main" method of closing a CBBL (pulling the tabs with both fingers, then "swing" the blade shut) is probably the least "natural" to me (so this one https://streamable.com/msetaz )
I think it just became the "main" method cause of the weird "fingers have to be out of the blade path all the time" thing (I´ll never really understand this if the knife has a choil like the Manix. Fingers completely safe then with other methods, AND knife safer, better and more natural in hand).

Perhaps I had the advantage that I did not know at all how people use to close their knives when I got my first CBBL Spydie (true also for all other locktypes, I think).

I am really not sure if the "main" method (see above) is the "natural" one, or rather just the one people see a CBBL knife closed all the time and so try this first and THINK this should be the "best", "easiest" and "most natural" one (actually it isn´t, right? Cause it requires the grip you don´t like (unless you use the clip instead of the butt end of the handle)

So, long story short, and I could be wrong of course (though not in my case): I don´t think any of the "methods" I linked above is "harder" or "easier" to "learn" than any other.

I mean, why for example should dropping the choil on a finger be "fancy" or "more to learn" than the "main" CBBL method?
After all this (dropping the choil on the finger) is what most people do "naturally" with their backlock knives...

And, perhaps with the exception of number 3 ("reverse Spydie flick"): Does any of that methods even look "fancy"?
Rather pretty down to earth imo...?
Or actually the method most people seem to use with a CBBL looks pretty unsafe and "fancy" in my book (though in reality it is not too)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:37 pm

But, honestly: All this "methods" came completely "naturally" and easily in my case, just from "using my knife and cut stuff, then close it up" (to quote Tom ;) )

Take your Manix and go stand on the side of the highway about 2 feet from the white line. Stand there long enough for a few semi trucks and texting drivers to fly by you so fast that the wind nearly knocked you down. Once you're fully aware that just one of those people can get distracted long enough to cross that white line long enough to kill you, that's when you pull the knife out and see if it's as second nature for you to operate, or if it requires way too much focus for you to bother with. Then do it with gloves on. Then do it in the pouring rain. Then do it in the snow. Then do it in all those scenarios in the dark. This is the environment I use my knife in about 50% of the time. For a casual EDC I can and have lived with the CBBL but it just doesn't work for my job, and lately I buy knives that can do more than just ride in my pocket on my day off.

It's not like I'm saying it's difficult, it just takes more focus than I'm going to live with, when other locks require less focus. What exactly am I gaining by forcing myself to adapt to a knife or lock? Like I said, if the rest of the knife design was absolutely the best possible, then maybe, but the wonderful thing about Spyderco is that there are many options and like this thread has shown some of those options have a lot in common. The whole mentality of "well it's this easy for me so surely it's easy for you too" just doesn't ever work out that way for everyone.

And for the record I did EDC a Manix 2 for a very long time, it was the knife that dethroned the Para 2 for me, so it's not like I'm speculating about any of this. Both the CBBL and Compression Lock have their pros and cons and I've changed my preferences for and against both of them over the years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

For the record, I love the Manix 2 lightweight. Which probably has the hardest spring out of all the cbbls.

Its just as far as the XL goes, I definitely have to fidget with it more for the hand position when disengaging the lock. I dont like this. Yes, I can slide the cage back with just my thumb on 1 side, but I still dont like how it sits in my hand when I do that. Plus all my muscle memory for the lightweight is to do it the two finger way while jamming the butt of the handle into your palm. The XL is, for me, more difficult to do it that way.

I can absolutely use the XL indefinitely if I got stuck with it as my only knife, but I would prefer others.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:37 pm

Take your Manix and go stand on the side of the highway about 2 feet from the white line. Stand there long enough for a few semi trucks and texting drivers to fly by you so fast that the wind nearly knocked you down. Once you're fully aware that just one of those people can get distracted long enough to cross that white line long enough to kill you, that's when you pull the knife out and see if it's as second nature for you to operate, or if it requires way too much focus for you to bother with. Then do it with gloves on. Then do it in the pouring rain. Then do it in the snow. Then do it in all those scenarios in the dark. This is the environment I use my knife in about 50% of the time. For a casual EDC I can and have lived with the CBBL but it just doesn't work for my job, and lately I buy knives that can do more than just ride in my pocket on my day off.

It's not like I'm saying it's difficult, it just takes more focus than I'm going to live with, when other locks require less focus. What exactly am I gaining by forcing myself to adapt to a knife or lock? Like I said, if the rest of the knife design was absolutely the best possible, then maybe, but the wonderful thing about Spyderco is that there are many options and like this thread has shown some of those options have a lot in common. The whole mentality of "well it's this easy for me so surely it's easy for you too" just doesn't ever work out that way for everyone.

And for the record I did EDC a Manix 2 for a very long time, it was the knife that dethroned the Para 2 for me, so it's not like I'm speculating about any of this. Both the CBBL and Compression Lock have their pros and cons and I've changed my preferences for and against both of them over the years.

My apologies should I have come across the wrong way, this was not my intent!

And actually almost my main credo on this forum is "things can be x for person A, but y for person B and both is fine" - so I´d never, ever intentionally imply that cause something is easy (or hard) for me, it must be easy (or hard) for anyone else!
If I sounded like that, this was also not my intent.

Perhaps I should make my hypothesis clearer; What I am basically proposing is:
. that there are several good "closing methods" to choose from with the CBBL - some don´t require using the butt end of the handle for leverage.
- Most people though "learn" the usual "two fingers pull the lock tabs and then swing the blade shut" first. Not necessarily because this is the best or most natural way of closing a CBBL (for me it definitely is NOT), but because this is "how it´s done" - everyone does it, on every youtube vid they do it and so on and so it is actually not "natural" to start with another method.
- AFTER one has "learned" that method (which requires the handle end or clip for leverage), of course all other / new ones at first feel like "having to adapt".
- Would people learn another - for me better - method first, or, like it was in my case, completely have to figure out by themselves how to use a CBBL without knowing how others do it, things might (just might!) be different
- Just a theory, could be totally wrong.

... Actually, in the scenario you describe, I´d take a CBBL over a comp.lock any day of the week (especially with gloves on!)
Just personal preference, and I admit; I am never in danger to get killed by a car while operating a folder (I know YOU are in your line of work!), but other than that I do use my knives quite a bit in snow, dark, cold and rain.

Anyway: I know you really know what you´re talking about, and despite I have not little, I am sure you still have more experience in using folders. I did not mean to doubt that by any means!
And I am dabbling deeply into "off topic" anyway... :worried
GrindedFunyan

Post by GrindedFunyan »

I just got a para 2 s45vn and is the slightly crooked jimping on the thumb ramp common or normal? Just wondering thank you
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear GrindedFunyan:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
GT99

Post by GT99 »

the Shaman is a beast, it is thicker blade stock so you can be less worried about breaking the tip like the PM2, it is heavier but to be honest the size is really not much different in the pocket, it feels like a much larger knife but its really not, some find the contoured scales more comfortable but I do find the PM2 comfortable as well. The PM2 is a better slicer for sure. For EDC I like to carry the PM2 a bit more and the Shaman at work more but it depends on the week, I switch it all the time, both are such great knives you cant go wrong with either