Paramilitary 2 vs Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Paramilitary 2 vs Shaman

Post by WilliamMunny »

For anyone who ones both or at least handled both what is the better EDC knife? I currently have a G10 Manix for the past 8 years of so that I love but I was looking to change it up a bit.

I think I like the looks of the Shaman a bit better, especially the brown cruwear version, but worry about EDCing and potentially losing a $300+ knife. It also seems like it might be much harder to find a Shaman to buy, Spyderco.com is sold out of them all. I have only lost one knife before, a $125 Griptilian but that bugged me to no end.

Any thoughts??? I know they are both great knives I just don’t have the opportunity to see them both in person. I am in no rush but looking hard.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Evil D

Re: Paramilitary 2 vs Shaman

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely a Shaman for me. The ergonomics just fit me better in every way, I like it more aesthetically, I like the rounded scale a lot more, I like how beefy it is. The only pros I can think of for a Para 2 are less weight, slimmer folded package for those who care about pocket footprints and it's a bit thinner behind the edge so it'll slice a bit better. Those are three pretty big factors for an EDC knife though so I understand the popularity.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Never really warmed to the shaman. Carried one for a few days….But it’s probably having several other knives like PM2s (jade M4 and new Crucarta) in the size to actually want or need another in the size category

Like Evil D mentioned above PM2 has a slimmer profile in pocket.

But my Native 5 maxamet is the pocket dominator for the last year hands down
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:27 am
Never really warmed to the shaman. Carried one for a few days….But it’s probably having several other knives like PM2s (jade M4 and new Crucarta) in the size to actually want or need another in the size category

Like Evil D mentioned above PM2 has a slimmer profile in pocket.

But my Native 5 maxamet is the pocket dominator for the last year hands down
There really are too many cool Spyderco knives. I was also look at the Native a bit, would like to try it, but I tend to like the 3.25”-3.5” blade length. I recently got the Alcyone (3”) and like it a lot but still tend to my Manix even when I’m a suit.

I have carried, used and sharpened my Manix so much it has almost totally lost its belly. It’s basicly straight from tip to handle. Can you wear out a knife???

***Spyderco***

Spyderco needs to start a knife of the month club. Cost around $25 per month and they will send you a random knife for a month. You send it back at the end of the month (or maybe purchase) and they send you a new knife. The knives they get back they sharpen and send out to the next person.

Probably be way too hard to coordinate but would be great to try out a bunch of their knives and buy the ones you want.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had a Shaman when first came out and in hindsight , I should have given it a chance but sold it at knife show before going home . I do see one in the future since I have a better perspective of the scales . Evil D basically hit all the points to consider between the two knives . I only have three PM2 models in different variations and like them . If possible I would try to visit a store to handle both or a show nearby. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I think the Manix is a good middle ground between the PM2 and Shaman. They are all about the same size, but not the same weight. If you feel you need a beefier knife than the Manix, get the Shaman. If you want a slightly less beefy knife, get the PM2.

For EDC I prefer the PM2 because it is a better slicer, and I like the sharp tip.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:19 am
I think the Manix is a good middle ground between the PM2 and Shaman. They are all about the same size, but not the same weight. If you feel you need a beefier knife than the Manix, get the Shaman. If you want a slightly less beefy knife, get the PM2.

For EDC I prefer the PM2 because it is a better slicer, and I like the sharp tip.
I like your middle ground ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I now have multiples of both, but my affection years ago was for the Manix2.

Had the Shaman been available when I decided to try something new, I still would have gone for a PM2. Its potential for precision-cutting is greater than the Shaman, and for EDC, that matters to me.

But if I were out on a woods-walk, I could just as likely have a Shaman in my pocket.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

I have both and, from a utilitarian perspective, I'd say it really depends on what the majority of your edc tasks are. For light to medium duty cutting the PM2 is more than adequate. It's a better slicer and I find the sharp, pointy tip extremely useful.

The Shaman maybe a bit of overkill for those tasks and may not be as good for some of them.
On the other hand the Shaman is definitely more comfortable so even for light/medium duty cutting it may be better for prolonged use. It is certainly more robust if your edc involves more hard use (not that the PM2 can't handle it).
The Shaman is bigger and heavier in pocket but I find that it carries just fine and actually better, in regards to pocket space, than my Manix LW.

Aesthetically...beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder. :beer-mug
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:19 am

Awesome, gives me a great perspective on the two knives, exactly what I needed. I am going to see if a deal comes up or Spyderco does a limited run on one of these that grabs my attention. Maybe a MagnaCut… or Z-Wear…

Thanks
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I have owned multiples of both the Shaman & the PM2 over the years. Currently, I own one Shaman (SE S30V) and three PM2s (PE S30V, S110V & Cru-Wear).

In terms of handle feel & ergonomics, I slightly prefer the Shaman. This matters a bit more if you spend a lot of time breaking down industrial cardboard or shaving wood but it's a minor benefit with most EDC tasks like opening packages. Don't get me wrong, though: the PM2 feels great in the hand for me, the Shaman just feels a little better.

Where the PM2 trumps the Shaman for me is carry: it is significantly lighter. If you carry multiple things in your knife pocket or just like to keep things light, this could be a major determining factor as to whether or not you'll carry a PM2 or a Shaman. The PM2 also takes up less volume in the pocket than the Shaman, although its protruding "hump" when folded sort of minimizes this advantage.

Blade-wise, whether you'll prefer one or the other really depends on what your EDC knife tasks are. Both will work well across a range of tasks, but the thicker blade on the Shaman gives me more confidence during tasks that involve a significant potential for torquing & lateral stresses while the thinner bladestock and finer tip of the PM2 make it a better slicer. I have broken the tip off a PM2 (in S30V), but that was in a work situation: I accidentally drove it into a steel beam—even the Shaman might not survive such an incident unscathed. Otherwise, I think the PM2 blade is plenty robust for normal EDC & work tasks.

For what it's worth, I only ever carry my Shaman for work (and goofing around in the woods) and rarely carry it for EDC, while I do carry the PM2 for both work & EDC. The Shaman is a great folding knife, but it's "too much knife" for my EDC tasks. The PM2 is a great all-'rounder and is a more budget-friendly option to boot, if you're concerned about the cost of replacing one in case of loss or irreparable damage.

That said neither the Shaman nor the PM2 are my daily drivers. Nine times out of ten, I carry either a Li'l Temperance 3 or a Yojimbo 2, two somewhat left-field models which I find carry a mix of the Shaman & PM2's best qualities.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The PM2 is the flagship Spyderco, I think everyone who likes and collects Spyderco Knives should own at least one. It was the second Spyderco I ever bought, and it is a solid knife......

.....however. I never bought a second one, and I haven't carried it in a really long time.

The Shaman, I have bought 5 different variations of it. And as I often say, the base model stonewash S30V is my favorite. Me and this knife just clicked when I handled it for the first time. "It just feels right". If I could only keep one knife in my collection, the Shaman would be a front runner. And despite it's beefiness, the tall flat grind makes it a good slicer.

I would recommend the Shaman over the PM2 all day.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've carried and used both, though I no longer own either as I prefer other designs.

I'd take the Para 2, and here's why:

- Lighter and slimmer in the pocket, more comfortable to carry.

- Para 2 has thinner geometry.

- Para 2 is cheaper

- It has more steels and scales available.

- The balance is better. The Shaman feels too blade heavy unless choked up in the choil, which for me is a secondary grip. The Para 2 doesn't feel overly blade heavy gripped behind the choil.

- Para 2 has the pointier tip, which I like in an EDC.

Shamans rounded scales are nice, and in general the feel is bulkier and more hand filling, which I appreciate. But the thick grind and blade heavy balance really killed my interest in the model, and I thought it would be one I'd really warm up to.

They are both great designs, these are just my preferences.
:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2 for all the points mentioned... It carries smaller than it is and cuts better in most EDC situations for me.

The Shaman on the other hand carries bigger than it is and has no cutting performance advantage IMO.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think for typical edc use the PM2 probably is the better choice, though I prefer the Shaman myself. I think that's solely because of the contoured G10 and micarta scales I have on my models, as well as no thumb ramp hump. Those are big reasons for me, but maybe not for everyone else.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
adv23

Post by adv23 »

I have all 3 - you should too!!!
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

The shaman is my favorite knife - for a work knife, when I know I'll be wearing jeans, using it a lot, using it hard, and I'm not worried about bulk or other things in that pocket. My definition of EDC is basically light duty out of work carry. I don't usually reach for my shaman for EDC - I'd take a PM2 for that given the options presented. Consider a sage or kapara?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If you mean having one knife, and one knife only, I would go for the PM2, but having only one knife would be madness….
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:37 pm
If you mean having one knife, and one knife only, I would go for the PM2, but having only one knife would be madness….
It’s more of the next knife. Plus there is always the wife factor..z spending $200 on a knife is one thing… spending $200 on a PM2 and $300 on a Shaman would put me on the sofa.

How does the Shaman compare to the Manix XL? A friend has a XL and I find that too big for the office but I think my Manix works fine. At some point I really will have to get both, they seem great.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think you just need a new Manix my friend!
It sounds that you love the model just like me and i can tell you can purchase what you want but you will mis it and in the end buy a new Manix to edc anyway!
I have 5 pm2’s and guess what they never see any use because for me there is no knife model in the world that comes close to the exquisite total package that the Manix is. :beaming-face