I'm having a Multitool midlife crisis

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: I'm having a Multitool midlife crisis

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:22 pm
I have not held one in my hand either, but looking at the pictures on their site, it does not appear there is enough room. Probably could do it with one of the many aftermarket belt pouch / cases available.

Oops I meant to ask PeaceInOurTime that question since he posted pics of a Surge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:13 pm
I haven't handled a Surge, do you think one of those extended shank bits would fit inside there with it closed up? If I could modify a Philips bit to fit in there and be able to leave it in there I'd probably get a Surge...
The T-shank adapter is not designed to handle torque. I would not try to turn it into a screwdriver.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:16 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:13 pm
I haven't handled a Surge, do you think one of those extended shank bits would fit inside there with it closed up? If I could modify a Philips bit to fit in there and be able to leave it in there I'd probably get a Surge...
The T-shank adapter is not designed to handle torque. I would not try to turn it into a screwdriver.

Oh I know, I was talking about the actual screwdriver bit driver Leatherman uses. I'm most likely going to get a Supertool 300M that has one but I've gotta see how I can mod the extended shank bits to fit first or I won't like how short the bits are.
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Ok got ya...

Typical 60mm vs 90mm impact bits.

Even if you remove the t-shank adapter, a 90mm bit will be slightly too long for the Surge, unless you shorten it slightly.

A 60mm fits better length-wise, and you get to keep the t-shank adapter.

The bigger challenge is thickness... Too thick unless you butcher the handle completely.

Perhaps there is a way with the Supertool, but for the Surge I would lean towards modifying a 90mm bit to fit the bit adapter, and find a way to carry it along with the unmodified MT.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:46 pm
Ok got ya...

Typical 60mm vs 90mm impact bits.

Even if you remove the t-shank adapter, a 90mm bit will be slightly too long for the Surge, unless you shorten it slightly.

A 60mm fits better length-wise, and you get to keep the t-shank adapter.

The bigger challenge is thickness... Too thick unless you butcher the handle completely.

Perhaps there is a way with the Supertool, but for the Surge I would lean towards modifying a 90mm bit to fit the bit adapter, and find a way to carry it along with the unmodified MT.

Yeah that's still not what I'm getting at, I mean grinding the shank thinner so it fits the actual screwdriver bit driver that it has inside. I just wasn't sure if once I did that if the bit would be too long to leave in the bit holder when closed.
Screenshot_20230510_191208_Chrome.jpg

Anyway I'm pretty sure it won't work, I didn't realize those bits were 60mm long.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

:rofl I have to laugh at myself. I thought you meant store a bit or two in the pouch with the tool, not store a bit inside of the tool. :straight-face
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 5:39 pm
:rofl I have to laugh at myself. I thought you meant store a bit or two in the pouch with the tool, not store a bit inside of the tool. :straight-face
Now actually I did consider this for the Supertool 300 EOD because I think it would work really well where the C4 probe thing is at, and that side of the handle is already cut out for a tool that's shaped just like a long bit driver. I'm just not sure how thick the rest of that tool is and if the bit driver will fit right in or if I need to lose other tools to fit it. Then I just work some scissors in somewhere else and I'd be pretty happy with that.
~David
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm about to put scissors (from a busted up and poorly repaired by me Fuse I bought a long time ago for like $5--that has a broken blade, destroyed cutters, and damage to both slotted screwdrivers, but strangely, unused scissors) into a Bond to sort of make it a modern Fuse. Fuse's layout is perfect for 99% of what I do that ain't farm work--I almost never need a file, sparingly use a saw (I've found a good SE like the Robin 2 Wharncliffe does most of what a saw can in terms of light pruning), but scissors--well, pretty much daily.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Unfortunately, don't think a much longer bit will fit due to this tab that the folded plier head rests on. Perhaps cutting off the tab and modding a long bit to the correct shape will allow the plier to fold correctly? Not much room to work with.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

100% agree about reach. So many MTs fail there.

I've settled on just carrying a slightly modified Cadet for my in-pocket MT needs. For now. While it is definitively lacking in it's toolset, it is so, so much better than nothing. Yet it weighs almost nothing and take up almost no space. It's like it's not there. It's just a convenience tool for the odd tasks that take me by surprise. I usually have easy access to more tools/dedicated tools in my office, my backpack, my car or misc workshops around my work facility for any task I can plan ahead.

I work mostly with electronics and low voltage electrical systems, so my main use is connecting terminal blocks, PCB terminals, opening cabinets etc.

90% of screw down terminals are 3.5mm flat head, so the small ~3mm with the can opener grinded off for more reach can actually take care most ad-hoc connecting that needs to be done. The file can be used as a 2D Philips for low torque applications such as battery covers etc. And is why I'll choose something like the Sportsman or Cadet over the Spartan or any other two bladed SAK when I can. Unfortunately the redundant blade seems to be popular and there's not many options with the file.
The large flat head usually works well for cover screws and access panels, and doubles as a decent prybar. I do carry a dedicated prybar, but it lives in my wallet and isn't all that accessible. Out of the way, but always with me, even when I have to leave my sharp objects behind because of overreaching knife laws.

I hardly ever use the knife blade on the SAK, so even with that redundancy this kit manages to carry very compact, to the point where it's practically unnoticeable. Just how I like it :)
After switching to a wharncliffe for my main blade, the SAK blade feels slightly less redundant as it provides an option with more belly, but I still don't find myself using it.

It's pretty obvious that my needs are quite simple and not as heavy duty as many others, yet very specific. I really can't understand why we don't see more trade/role specific MTs, so yeah.. modding seems to be the way to go.
I have some modding ideas floating around, but nothing that really nails it in one compact easy to carry MT.

Ideally I'd want 2.5mm flat head, 3.5mm flat head, large flat head >5mm, Phillips #1 (can be 2D to save space) - all with decent reach. Add some compact needle nose pliers (larger than squirt/style though), wrap it in the smallest frame possible and I'll have my perfect EDC MT. There will be times I need more, but I'm well covered for that.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:23 pm
Oh I know, I was talking about the actual screwdriver bit driver Leatherman uses. I'm most likely going to get a Supertool 300M that has one but I've gotta see how I can mod the extended shank bits to fit first or I won't like how short the bits are.
LM does have a couple of long bits, if that helps in any way?

Not many sizes/types to choose from though.
These could have worked well for me in some applications if they came in some smaller sizes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:17 am

I work mostly with electronics and low voltage electrical systems, so my main use is connecting terminal blocks, PCB terminals, opening cabinets etc.

Finally someone that probably understands how frustrating this pic is lol.
20230511_035500.jpg

That was the Leatherman Free P4, and it fit probably 50% of what I needed it for. The short bit drivers are all but useless.

I don't do that stuff all day everyday or else I'd probably just wear a small tool pouch at work and carry an actual screwdriver, and it's because I don't do it that often that I prefer a multitool. With drivers like the Supertool uses I can reach those screws in every scenario where a screw itself isn't very very small and then you're just out of luck and need a much smaller screwdriver.

When I get a new multitool that I think is going to work, I go around to all the little parts like this and stick it in every hole I can find. I probably look like a crazy person.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 4:23 pm
LM does have a couple of long bits, if that helps in any way?

Not many sizes/types to choose from though.
These could have worked well for me in some applications if they came in some smaller sizes.

Yeah for a brief second I thought I could get away with putting one of those in a Surge and leave it there, but the pliers head is in the way when closed up.
~David
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

SOG has a few tools that accept standard bits at the underside of the plier head when closed. It would have to be inserted everytime it's used, but it's an option.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:44 am
SOG has a few tools that accept standard bits at the underside of the plier head when closed. It would have to be inserted everytime it's used, but it's an option.

I like the idea, but I really don't like a lot of their tools. I have a Powerlock and it's great for some things but sucks for others.
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I ended up with a Spirit (serrated lambsfoot blade) and a Surge in which I replaced the PE blade with another tool holder, so I have both file & saw, plus the mini screw driver. That needed me to file a liner lock ramp, which was interesting.

The Surge is a proper tool that I’ve not been afraid to lean on. I also have the accessory full size bit holder, which is a little cumbersome, but allows the use of any bit & extender if the LM flat bit isn’t enough, and allows significant leverage.

Not me:
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I've carried an SOG Powerlock since my Dad gave me one long before he died. I use it multiple times a day and am now afraid to be without it. Multi-tools are great.

I hate what's happened to SOG and would probably buy a Leatherman if I lost it.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:52 am
Other alternative names for this thread may include:

I've fallen down the Multitool Modding rabbit hole

If you can't find the right multitool for your needs, make it yourself

And my personal favorite and runner up,

WTH doesn't Leatherman put scissors on all their Multitools?

In the last probably 3 weeks I've ordered 5 different Leatherman multitools and have returned 3 and may return a 4th. In fairness one of the 5 I ordered, the Amazon seller sent me the wrong tool so I guess technically I've gone through 4 different tools of which there have been 3 different models;

Free P4 - Found that, while the one handed opening seems like a cool idea, I actually didn't care for it. For starters I don't have a problem opening any other multitool with one hand, I may need to fold it open/closed against my hip but the whole balisong action didn't do anything for me, and I often leave the tool half folded open to increase reach and that didn't work well with this one. I also really didn't like the Philips driver which I use quite a bit at work, and I can't stand the Leatherman flat bit exchangers so that rules out a lot of models right from the start. This was one reason I tried the P4, since it has a dedicated Philips driver, but it too is flat and too wide to fit into small recessed holes. It was a nice tool overall, I thought it was great looking, but also a good bit more expensive for little gains IMO. I did like the blade shape and outside one handed tools though.

Rebar - This is the one I ended up with two of, and initially I was going to order one standard version and one knifeless version and then swap out the scissors from the knifeless version into the bladed version. I've seen this done with Wave scissors so it seemed like an easy mod. Unfortunately this is the one that the Amazon seller sent me the wrong tool so I ended up with two bladed versions and sent one back. I still have one and I'm on the fence about it. I don't care for the shape of the file and how they cut a slot in it, and the serrations are ground a little small for my liking. It's basically the same size as the Vic Spirit that I've carried for a decade, but it isn't as comfortable to use and digs into my palm a lot even though they did soften the edges pretty well. Still undecided here but it will absolutely have to get scissors for me to keep it.

Supertool 300 - This one I also ended up with two of, and will likely get a third. I started out wanting the black oxide version, just because it's different and I actually like the worn beat up patina look. Unfortunately the first thing I noticed was that the Philips driver was noticably softer and more rounded and just looked like it would slip and strip every screw it touches. I didn't try it because I didn't want to scratch it up and then return it, so to be safe I just returned it and ordered the standard silver version. I'm still bummed on this decision, I'm half tempted to get another black one and just swap in the Philips driver out of a silver one. I also plan on getting an EOD version to sacrifice for the blade exchanger bit. I thought about just using the black frame from it too but it has the long cutout on the side from the C4 probe and I don't think I'd like that and don't plan on using that tool. I may put a knife blade there and see how I like it, might be the solution for getting the black version I originally wanted and I may end up with a hodgepodge of black and silver parts. I also already have a pair of Victorinox scissors that are going into it just as soon as I get time to mod it.

Overall I'm finding that I actually prefer the old school classic Leatherman designs over the newer ones. Having all the blades as one handed opening is less of a priority because I always have a pocket knife and I'll always reach for that first if I need to cut something. I also looked at other models like the Surge, but it's ridiculously heavy and is a brick in hand, and I'd be stuck with the bit driver and that's a deal breaker that also rules out the Charge and several others. Basically if it doesn't use the 3D Philips driver, I'll pass.

This all came about because I finally started to actually damage my Vic Spirit. I bent the pry tool and don't even remember how, I did fix it with a hammer though. I also have wore out the Philips driver in it too, and I've grown tired of how slippery it is in screws. The way Victorinox "stamps" their Philips driver really sucks, I wish they'd do an actual machined bit. I've also been wanting pliers heads with serviceable wire cutters for a long time. In many ways Victorinox is just behind the times in multitool design and they need to bring out something new but the best they can do is adding a thumb lip so their knives are one hand opening.

So far the Supertool seems like a winner. Despite its size over the Rebar I actually find it feels better in my hand and digs into my palm less. It doesn't seem that much bigger when you hold them side by side but the difference on my belt is definitely noticeable and kinda sucks. I may look at swapping out a couple tools on the Rebar and see if I can make it more to my liking.

As much as I buy different knives and have many options, I really don't have any interest in owning 50 multitools, I just want ONE that does exactly what I need and it looks like I'll have to make it myself.
They must have heard your scissor request. see pic below.
I have an old Leatherman that I got back in the 90's. I think it is the original design and it was made in the USA.
I keep it in my Harley's Tour Pack.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess I never followed up on this thread.

I did end up returning the P4. It had the tools I want but the tools themselves were not up to par.

I also got a Rebar. I liked it but it was too small. The weight was nice but I had plans for bigger tools than the frame would accept.

I ended up buying 3 different Supertool 300s, one standard stainless version and two black oxide versions, the 300EOD and the 300M. I returned the stainless one because I knew I'd never use it and had figured out what I wanted with the two black oxide versions.

Basically just picked tools from both that I preferred, went with the M pliers head with the EOD wire cutter blades, added some Victorinox scissors and modified a DeWalt impact Philips driver bit to fit the flat bit driver so I can actually reach deep recessed screws. I really had little choice but to go with the 300 as a platform in order to get the Philips driver as long as I wanted it (and I'd make it even longer if it would close into the tool).

I also carry two T-Shank hacksaw blades in my wallet. The only thing I feel it's missing is a smaller flathead screwdriver blade. I may swap the wood saw out with something else and carry a T-Shank wood saw blade too since I don't use either saw very often but I definitely want them, I actually just had to use the wood saw for an unexpected drywall project at work. I'm thinking about trying to fit another bit driver tool in somewhere, maybe in place of the wood saw and flathead screwdriver and modify another impact bit for my flathead needs.

I'm also debating whether or not I'll replace the knife blade with something else since I always have a knife anyway, I could probably get another T-Shank tool in there if I delete the knife and can/bottle opener, I have less elegant ways to open both if it really came down to it.
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have a Charge. It was Ti and had an S30V blade🤣

It's also got the ultra small screwdriver that can be useful in IT, or if your glasses need tightening.

I suppose the real iorny is I never use the S30V blade because I've always got a Spyderco on me. Pliers/ wire cutter probably most often used besides standard Philips bit.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal