I'm having a Multitool midlife crisis

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

I'm having a Multitool midlife crisis

Post by Evil D »

Other alternative names for this thread may include:

I've fallen down the Multitool Modding rabbit hole

If you can't find the right multitool for your needs, make it yourself

And my personal favorite and runner up,

WTH doesn't Leatherman put scissors on all their Multitools?

In the last probably 3 weeks I've ordered 5 different Leatherman multitools and have returned 3 and may return a 4th. In fairness one of the 5 I ordered, the Amazon seller sent me the wrong tool so I guess technically I've gone through 4 different tools of which there have been 3 different models;

Free P4 - Found that, while the one handed opening seems like a cool idea, I actually didn't care for it. For starters I don't have a problem opening any other multitool with one hand, I may need to fold it open/closed against my hip but the whole balisong action didn't do anything for me, and I often leave the tool half folded open to increase reach and that didn't work well with this one. I also really didn't like the Philips driver which I use quite a bit at work, and I can't stand the Leatherman flat bit exchangers so that rules out a lot of models right from the start. This was one reason I tried the P4, since it has a dedicated Philips driver, but it too is flat and too wide to fit into small recessed holes. It was a nice tool overall, I thought it was great looking, but also a good bit more expensive for little gains IMO. I did like the blade shape and outside one handed tools though.

Rebar - This is the one I ended up with two of, and initially I was going to order one standard version and one knifeless version and then swap out the scissors from the knifeless version into the bladed version. I've seen this done with Wave scissors so it seemed like an easy mod. Unfortunately this is the one that the Amazon seller sent me the wrong tool so I ended up with two bladed versions and sent one back. I still have one and I'm on the fence about it. I don't care for the shape of the file and how they cut a slot in it, and the serrations are ground a little small for my liking. It's basically the same size as the Vic Spirit that I've carried for a decade, but it isn't as comfortable to use and digs into my palm a lot even though they did soften the edges pretty well. Still undecided here but it will absolutely have to get scissors for me to keep it.

Supertool 300 - This one I also ended up with two of, and will likely get a third. I started out wanting the black oxide version, just because it's different and I actually like the worn beat up patina look. Unfortunately the first thing I noticed was that the Philips driver was noticably softer and more rounded and just looked like it would slip and strip every screw it touches. I didn't try it because I didn't want to scratch it up and then return it, so to be safe I just returned it and ordered the standard silver version. I'm still bummed on this decision, I'm half tempted to get another black one and just swap in the Philips driver out of a silver one. I also plan on getting an EOD version to sacrifice for the blade exchanger bit. I thought about just using the black frame from it too but it has the long cutout on the side from the C4 probe and I don't think I'd like that and don't plan on using that tool. I may put a knife blade there and see how I like it, might be the solution for getting the black version I originally wanted and I may end up with a hodgepodge of black and silver parts. I also already have a pair of Victorinox scissors that are going into it just as soon as I get time to mod it.

Overall I'm finding that I actually prefer the old school classic Leatherman designs over the newer ones. Having all the blades as one handed opening is less of a priority because I always have a pocket knife and I'll always reach for that first if I need to cut something. I also looked at other models like the Surge, but it's ridiculously heavy and is a brick in hand, and I'd be stuck with the bit driver and that's a deal breaker that also rules out the Charge and several others. Basically if it doesn't use the 3D Philips driver, I'll pass.

This all came about because I finally started to actually damage my Vic Spirit. I bent the pry tool and don't even remember how, I did fix it with a hammer though. I also have wore out the Philips driver in it too, and I've grown tired of how slippery it is in screws. The way Victorinox "stamps" their Philips driver really sucks, I wish they'd do an actual machined bit. I've also been wanting pliers heads with serviceable wire cutters for a long time. In many ways Victorinox is just behind the times in multitool design and they need to bring out something new but the best they can do is adding a thumb lip so their knives are one hand opening.

So far the Supertool seems like a winner. Despite its size over the Rebar I actually find it feels better in my hand and digs into my palm less. It doesn't seem that much bigger when you hold them side by side but the difference on my belt is definitely noticeable and kinda sucks. I may look at swapping out a couple tools on the Rebar and see if I can make it more to my liking.

As much as I buy different knives and have many options, I really don't have any interest in owning 50 multitools, I just want ONE that does exactly what I need and it looks like I'll have to make it myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Re: I'm having a Multitool midlife crisis

Post by aicolainen »

This sounds all too familiar, but for different reasons.

To your issue, is a retired model off the table? Sounds like something like a PST II would be up your alley.

I haven't found much use for scissors in my daily life, I just want the most common tools conveniently available without dragging a pocket anchor around. The retired Juice S2 would probably have been ideal, but I didn't realize it soon enough.

I get multitools through my employer, so they've accumulated through the years; Skeletool CX, Crunch, Squirt ES and Surge.
I've been gifted a few through the years; OG Supertool (lost), OG Wave and a SideClip.
And I've bought a couple, mostly the last year or so; Style PS, OG Supertool (sentimental replacement for my first), Victorinox Spirit X, Rebar and Supertool 300. The last two was supposed to be only one, as I needed a compact "tool box" for my EV. Both were on sale so I ordered both to compare. Kept both and placed one in my 4WD as well.

IMO the style/squirt size is too small to be really useful. Everything else is too big and heavy for what I can justify, try to do too much and are too similar/generic. I wish they would make slimmer and lighter options that were more specialized for specific trades/tasks/use cases. I think this is a problem across the board, but it's mostly LM and VIC I pay attention to.

To be honest I think I moved a bit too quick on the Spirit X. It's a ridiculously well made MT, but I was looking for something I was likely to carry more than my current options, and I really haven't. Just after buying it, I discovered the little talked about LM Curl, which might have been a better option for me. I think it could be for you too, but it does have the 2D bit holder.

I also tried to find a knifeless rebar. I don't like redundancy in pocket tools, so it made a lot of sense, but they are much less common around here and never on sale.

There's a rumor about a new model around the corner. Looks similar to the wave, but slightly improved tool selection and a MagnaCut blade. It does indeed look like a better tool than the current wave, but it's still just another refinement of the same old recipe.

I'm sorry this turned out to be more of a rant than advice, but you touched on a topic that has been itching me for quite a while.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Quite a coincidence you'd start this thread. After years in a box, yesterday I brought out two old multitools I used to carry daily at work. I don't carry one any more, and I was trying to think of how I could put these to good use.

Face it, most multitools are pretty similar. They all have a pliers, cutters, knife blades, screwdrivers, etc. The reason I chose Gerber was because they were the only manufacturer that made a multitool with a blunt nose pliers. I needed blunt nose more than needle nose. The other feature that I came to appreciate was the way the pliers "deployed." Most multitools have a flippy foldy way of opening up. The pliers on the Gerber "slides" out of the handle, like an OTF knife. You can be looking at your work, reach into the sheath, pull out the tool, and with a flick of your wrist it's ready to use. It's VERY handy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:49 am

To your issue, is a retired model off the table? Sounds like something like a PST II would be up your alley.

Not necessarily, it just depends on what I get in that tool ya know. It seems that my required tool set is a major limiting factor and is why I carried that Vic Spirit for so long.

Eventually one of these companies is going to make a custom option where you choose your chassis, pliers head and tool layout and they're going to break the multitool industry and make a fortune doing it.
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 am
Eventually one of these companies is going to make a custom option where you choose your chassis, pliers head and tool layout and they're going to break the multitool industry and make a fortune doing it.
the GOAT tool already did that. Open source even, but that one too is a chunk of metal
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I have two of the OG Supertools that I’ve had since they came out. The one I’ve used the most is pretty easy to open one handed to get at the pliers. I also had two of the OG Waves. One was gifted away, the other I still use. A PST II showed up somewhere along the line when I was looking for something a bit more portable with scissors. These are all pretty old at this point. I used to carry the Leatherman Micra for the scissors and I have some other small plier LM’s as well. I picked up a Spirit X with the rachet kit fairly recently. Great little tool. This one has the Sheepfoot blade. And, last but not least, a Gerber MT 600 bluntnose pliers version joined the group. The tools on this one are pretty bad, usable, but low quality. I got it for the bluntnose pliers and quick deploy feature for a particular job I had at the time. Never have modded any of them. I bet Victorinox would repair, or replace, that Spirit if you sent it in. Beyond that, I have a bunch of Victorinox I use for specific jobs and a couple of Wenger Mini Grips which are surprisingly handy here and there. One has blunt-nosed pliers and the other needle-nosed. The Mini Grips would be worth some money now, if I had left them in the packaging but what would be the fun in that? I also have quite a few bike-specific tools from Park and Topeak, I think I’m set for multitools at this time.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Man I love MT’s and I haven’t gone through as many as some of you but I am guilty of trying quite a few different ones and either returning or selling them…finally settled on the Rebar, Skeletool RX,and Style PS…they all could be improved imo for different reasons but like Victorinox something is always left out to encourage purchasing another…like why isn’t there a pocket clip or scissors on the Rebar or an awl on the Compact…to me the knifeless Rebar(my next one 😳) is close to perfection except for no clip and wasted space where the lanyard ring is because I always have a knife on me…of course I’d have to add a clip and put something in place of the lanyard ring like a chisel or hacksaw or probe like is in the Super tool 300 EOD…what I’d really like is a smaller/lighter “mini” knifeless Rebar with a pocket clip and an additional tool 🤔
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:45 am
but like Victorinox something is always left out to encourage purchasing another…
I don't think it's deliberate, but it sure is working for them.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:45 am
…what I’d really like is a smaller/lighter “mini” knifeless Rebar with a pocket clip and an additional tool 🤔
yep, or an even shorter and slimmer Bond without the long tools, i.e. knife blade and file to get rid of the bulge. Can opener and lanyard ring could also be removed if it slims it down further, or be replaced by scissor if sufficient space to fit one.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

EvilD, welcome to my world 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a Gerber that I'm quite happy with. I selected it because it was the only multitool I could find without a blade (I do a lot of carry-on only travel), though, so I'm not sure it will help your cause any, since my criteria is totally different from yours.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:52 am
I can't stand the Leatherman flat bit exchangers so that rules out a lot of models right from the start.
I also dislike the Leatherman 2D bits, but here is something to consider...

A while back I also went through a multitool phase, and discovered these double-sided Wiha bits. They fit perfectly into the Leatherman bit extender, which fits into the bit driver. The bits and/or extender also fit into some of the small bit ratchets, which gives you a range of options. They may work if you are happy to carry bits and a bit extender, and don't mind the extra step to fit it to the multitool or ratchet every time you use it.

It is fun to build these mini-toolkits, but they are bulky and not practical for everyone as an EDC. This one is for a Surge, and goes into a bag, typically a "last resort problem solver". I store a Philips #1 & #2 bit in the bit extender, because that is what I need most often.

I also carry a Volty battery checker bit in the kit. Nice toys...
https://pcpoodle.com/products/volty-bit ... multi-tool
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:52 am
I can't stand the Leatherman flat bit exchangers so that rules out a lot of models right from the start.
I also dislike the Leatherman 2D bits, but here is something to consider...

A while back I also went through a multitool phase, and discovered these double-sided Wiha bits. They fit perfectly into the Leatherman bit extender, which fits into the bit driver. The bits and/or extender also fit into some of the small bit ratchets, which gives you a range of options. They may work if you are happy to carry bits and a bit extender, and don't mind the extra step to fit it to the multitool or ratchet every time you use it.

It is fun to build these mini-toolkits, but they are bulky and not practical for everyone as an EDC. This one is for a Surge, and goes into a bag, typically a "last resort problem solver". I store a Philips #1 & #2 bit in the bit extender, because that is what I need most often.

I also carry a Volty battery checker bit in the kit. Nice toys...
https://pcpoodle.com/products/volty-bit ... multi-tool

My biggest problem with bits is their lack of reach. I always seem to be dealing with recessed screws and it really only takes one time that I can't reach and I'm put off by bits.

However, just last night I got to thinking about these new impact driver bits and the extended ones that Wiha make, and I'm going to look into modifying them to fit the flat bit holder. This will give me as much reach as the dedicated Philips driver has and in many cases will give me a more precise Philips bit and of course options for swapping them out. I just need to figure out what tool has enough space to fit one of these inside while closed up. This may open the door to those other Leatherman models I've been avoiding.
Screenshot_20230509_190753_Instagram.jpg
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Modifying the long bits to fit the bit adapter could also work... 👍

Thanks for the idea, I think I'll add a few long bits to my kit for those recessed screws.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a bunch of Leatherman tools that I got from the late ‘90s into the early 2000s. Great tools. I tried type original Swisstool and it felt too bulky to me. My favorite MT ended up being the last one I bought, a Swisstool Spirit with the serrated sheepsfoot instead of the scissors.

The original Wave I had (that got stolen out of my car) was really wobbly around the pliers joint. My second Wave didn’t have that issue. I also had an early Micro that was wobbly at the scissors joint. All my other Leathermans have been rock-solid.

IMO, the overall quality and fit and finish of the Victorinox is superior to Leatherman, but there are some things the Leatherman tools do a bit better.

I have heard a few people report (including a couple guys telling me directly) that after awhile, their Leatherman tools broke. It was either at the pivot joint of the pliers, or the pliers head cracked. I’ve also heard of Gerber MTs cracking/breaking during use. I don’t know how they were using them when those things happened, but I’ve never heard anything similar happening with Victorinox MTs.

I used to carry a MT all the time, but I don’t carry them anymore. I probably would if I went camping or something, but that hasn’t happened in a long time. I do wear one when I’m doing weed whacking and stuff, to help replace cord, or fixing stuck cord.

Jim
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I have seen people mod regular bits to fit the LM flat driver. Could open up more options for you. I use to frequent the multitool.org forum. Lots of great posts and knowledge there for mods.

Have you looked at the GOAT Tools multitool? I have no experience with it, but I'd like to try one eventually.

I handled the LM P4 in a store once. I liked the idea of it, but left with the Surge instead. I pocket carry a Surge with bit kit everyday at work. Can't beat it's capability with large scissors, exchangeable bits, and T-shank blades. I'd like to get the Leatherman ratchet driver, should make it even more useful/enjoyable. The only mod I've considered for my Surge is replacing one of the blades with a DIY full length prytool/scraper.

My kit:

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gerber makes the CenterDrive multitool with a fold out standard bit holder. If you hunt around, you can find mil surplus versions at a good discount.

I have many multitools primarily because I could never find one that offered all I wanted without adding extras. Now my job never requires hand tools, so they rarely get used. I do take at least one along on vacations, because you never know what might happen.
Last edited by JRinFL on Wed May 10, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 12:59 pm
Gerber makes the CenterDrive multitool with a fold out standard bit holder. If you hunt around, you can find mil surplus versions at a good discount.

I have many multitools primarily because I could never find one that offered all I wanted without adding extras. Now my jobs never requires hand tools, so they rarely get used. I do take at least one along on vacations, because you never know what might happen.

I actually just looked at those yesterday, they have great reach but probably still wouldn't fit into tight recesses.

What really sucks about the multitool rabbit hole is that it's already a tool of compromise, none of the tools work as well as their dedicated counterparts but then it's like there are different grades of how much they're compromised and my obsessive personality is trying to make the most out of an already less than ideal tool. I would not be at all surprised if I spend a boatload of money trying to mod a tool just to circle back around to the Vic Spirit. I'm trying to address some areas that I think it could be a better tool, but it has got the job done for over a decade now.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yeah, the bit holders are thick. You'd need at least a couple of extended bits to add to the kit.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm
Yeah, the bit holders are thick. You'd need at least a couple of extended bits to add to the kit.

I haven't handled a Surge, do you think one of those extended shank bits would fit inside there with it closed up? If I could modify a Philips bit to fit in there and be able to leave it in there I'd probably get a Surge because it has the best scissors I think you can get I'm a MT.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have not held one in my hand either, but looking at the pictures on their site, it does not appear there is enough room. Probably could do it with one of the many aftermarket belt pouch / cases available.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001