Warrior: not just a one-trick pony. Mini-review.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

The Deacon wrote:I agree. It's an excellent and informative review. It shows that, in the right hands, the Warrior can perform tasks other than those for which it was designed. However, it does not change my opinion that, if someone is only looking for a camp knife, the Schempp Rock would be a more sensible choice. I love the Stretch, and I think it does a reasonably good job when used for food prep, but if someone were to ask about kitchen knives, it's not the knife I would recommend.

If the pricing situation was reversed, it might be a different matter. For some folks, saving $90 would be more than sufficient justification to "make do" with a knife that is advertised as being designed as a weapon and optimized for reverse grip. However, that is not the case here. In fact, the exact opposite is true. The Schempp Rock, which has similar dimensions and is advertised as having been designed specifically as a camp knife, costs $90 less.

Unless, of course, the buyer actually needs a combat knife that can also be used for camping, or intends to camp in an area the could double as a Q-fog test chamber and is drawn to the Warrior beacause H-1 is impervious to rust, or is simply enamored with the idea of owning a combat knife and simply using camping as an excuse to indulge that fascination.

Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I've been known to occasionally indulge my "inner 13 year old" with a humungous Bowie, a boot knife, or one of Microtech's adult jack-in-the-boxes. However, if anyone asked why I owned an Ultratech, I'd expect to get funny looks and perhaps hear a snicker or two if I started extolling its virtues as a letter opener.
Blerv wrote:I completely agree Paul. ANYONE paying over $200+ for a "camp knife" really needs to consider the decent options out there. Like a Moran and a proper saw.

For a knife that can double as a camp knife though it's nice to see it stand up well enough.
Both absolutely correct, of course. I bought the Warrior secondhand at a good price. I knew I could always sell it on.

For my needs, there are many knives that fit the tasks better. However, being used to the knife, it does not feel forced or contrived when used in this way.

Of the current H1 fixed blades, I'm not sure what I'd choose to replace it. My inner 13yr old also likes it!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Regarding the S-Warrior as a good camp knife for the money I agree it is not.

It is my strong sense the evaluation/review demonstrates more vividly someone with a solid foundation in outdoor skills CAN utilize a wide variety of edged tools / weapons and do well.

The pukko design, easily available and from roughly $35 to $125, is an extremely functional outdoor knife with years upon years of proven worth the world over. It does not attract undue / unwanted attention and as an SD option - in trained hands (and such training can be outdoors based in reality) - it is all one would ever need. Just ask the Russians who witnessed the Finns' work with their native pukkos during the hours of darkness during WW2. The Finn and Swedish militaries, to include their Special Operations forces, still issue a military version of the pukko and Spyderco offers a nice S-version itself.
GW
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thanks for the pics and review.. Nice job!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Greg Walker wrote:
Just ask the Russians who witnessed the Finns' work with
their native pukkos during the hours of darkness during WW2. The Finn and Swedish militaries, to include their Special Operations forces, still issue a military version of the pukko and Spyderco offers a nice S-version itself.
Russians experienced Pukkos before WW2. In 1938/1938 during Finish war. I grown-up surrounded by legends about puukos and was quite surprised to see finish knives on their web sites. Even now many people of my generation calls any fighting fixed blade fink a, which means Finnish knife. Can you, please drop a link with military versions of pukkos? Thanks.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Who made the sheath, please?
GW
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

Greg Walker wrote:Who made the sheath, please?
I made it. Not pretty but it works!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

That's all that counts! :) Thanks!
GW
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Nice post. I agree, your photo 4 tells a nice story....
Fish on!
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

My buddy whom I gave my first Spyderco Warrior to before deployment to the Sandbox is back.

He carried the Warrior for most of the mission. Issue sheath. Before leaving he reshaped the insert so it held the knife more securely and quietly.

He reports becoming very familiar in everyday use of a fixed blade for this, that and the other. The Warrior served well in such things.

The serration, he reports, was and remains scary sharp. Very pleased with that feature.

H2H wise he is **** on wheels no-BS and has been for years. Armed and unarmed. He quickly mastered the Spyderco Warrior grip manipulation wise and finds great favor with its weight/balance.

He was and still is very adroit with the original AMK Warrior but has always felt it was over-built and unwieldly to carry comfortably and manipulate swiftly/securely. The Spyderco Warrior, he believes, is far superior in these two areas.

Just a "back from deployment" snapshot. No, he is keeping the S-Warrior. I'd already purchased another one :p
GW
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cool. Very cool....
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Greg Walker wrote:My buddy whom I gave my first Spyderco Warrior to before deployment to the Sandbox is back.

He carried the Warrior for most of the mission. Issue sheath. Before leaving he reshaped the insert so it held the knife more securely and quietly.

He reports becoming very familiar in everyday use of a fixed blade for this, that and the other. The Warrior served well in such things.

The serration, he reports, was and remains scary sharp. Very pleased with that feature.

H2H wise he is **** on wheels no-BS and has been for years. Armed and unarmed. He quickly mastered the Spyderco Warrior grip manipulation wise and finds great favor with its weight/balance.

He was and still is very adroit with the original AMK Warrior but has always felt it was over-built and unwieldly to carry comfortably and manipulate swiftly/securely. The Spyderco Warrior, he believes, is far superior in these two areas.

Just a "back from deployment" snapshot. No, he is keeping the S-Warrior. I'd already purchased another one :p

I would say that that is a pretty nice endorsement. Thank you Greg. My Warrior arrived yesterday and I'm impressed. Mike
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Am picking up custom leather sheath from Ed Stebbins (Tracker Leather, Lost Creek Armory, Bend, Oregon 541 389 4867) this weekend. Sheath is for REKAT Hobbit. I've known Ed for years and his work is exceptional. He'll be sheathing my Spyderco Warrior next - dropping it off this weekend, as well. Will post photos of the Hobbit sheath this weekend with details. Ed will also be sheathing my Pygmy when it becomes available :spyder:
GW
xavierdoc

Re: Warrior: not just a one-trick pony. Mini-review.

Post by xavierdoc »

It's nearly 10 years since I wrote the original review, above.

The Warrior has continued to serve me well as a general purpose knife. I live by the sea so it sees it's fair share of salt water (kayak-fishing, beach BBQ etc.) and has shown no signs of corrosion, as you'd hope.

Combat use is of no relevance to me, so I can't comment on that role. However, on the rare occasion I get called to a humane dispatch situation for deer, I reach for the Warrior in case a knife is needed. (Dispatch is usually with a silenced 410 or 20bore, though in the example below, I used a silenced 300Blackout with 240gr subs.)

In the example below two deer were entangled and thrashing around in someone's garden (rural location but it's a livery so lots of horses nearby and twitchy neighbours/horse owners.)

Deer entangled:

Bullet bulge:

Bullet removed:

300Blk

The serrated spine of the Warrior came in handy for cutting the tangle of baler twine, allowing separation of the carcasses for easier extraction.

Current appearance, Dec 2022:

It's a bit grubby but aside from some scratches, it's holding up well. The grips aren't the easiest to clean blood/dirt out of but they do provide a secure hold.

Here's to the next ten years!
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

Excellent follow up. Looks like it’s serving you well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

What an update ! The knife looks like it's 1 month old ^^ (I'm referring to the scratches, they do appear very fast on H-1 and then it seems to not change much).

Good testament to the construction and design, I'm looking forward to the next update in a decade :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you returning , love this post . This was one knife I passed on thinking it would not be of most use for me , but you have proved me wrong . I love to see a return of this model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Thx for the review!
vivi

Post by vivi »

really cool review. missed it the first time around, glad you updated it.

H1/FRN fixed blades are incredibly versatile. I've used Aqua Salts for all sorts of roles like you have your Warrior.
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Great review!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bladesandbeverages:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike