Warrior: not just a one-trick pony. Mini-review.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xavierdoc

Warrior: not just a one-trick pony. Mini-review.

Post by xavierdoc »

Warning- some hunting pics lower down in post.

At some point I'm going to do an in-depth review of the Warrior, based on the last few years I've been using mine. Since someone asked if the warrior could be used as a camp knife, I decided to post a quick taster of the (relative) versatility of this "single-purpose" knife:

Batonning:

In the wet- no corrosion concerns:

Feather sticks:

Quick cook-up, shows the "functional" Kydex sheath I made for it:

Hacking through ribs:

Beheading deer:

Delegating (De-leg-a-ting, geddit?!) using the serrations: saves your plain edge:

Skinning:

Good grip when wet/bloody:

For those to whom such things are relevant, my sheath presents the knife for ipsilateral, reverse-grip, edge-out hold or contralateral conventional grip:

H1 is not the greatest for edge retention in abrasive media but it is tough and easy to sharpen.

So, it may not be the best knife for most of these tasks, but it can certainly do them. Mine was secondhand when I bought it several years ago and it is showing no undue wear and tear.

It's a more versatile knife than it gets credit for.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

Wow that's a great review so far
dwong

Post by dwong »

nice.

seem H1 also good for outdoor/wood, maybe bushcrafter style be interesting.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great review :D .
Clip

Post by Clip »

Love threads like these, looks like you're getting some good use out of it. I wouldn't have guessed the Warrior would be so useful/functional in everyday use.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Holland

Post by Holland »

awesome review!!! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

you know, your photo #4 would be a good entry for the 2014 Calendar... after all, there can't be 100% pictures of Paramilitary 2s and Natives.

**edit** never mind. The photos for the Calendar have to be in Landscape orientation, not Portrait, which is how your photo #4 is.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Wow nice use of the Warrior, seems like it should work well in those roles even though it's not the "designed intent". Thanks for the mini review, shows its not a one trick pony.

I think you should retake some pictures for the calendar, the Warrior should have a month.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thanks for posting. I'll admit my warrior was purchased on a whim (a very good price I couldn't pass up :) ) and has lived in its box since I bought it, because I can't carry it in Texas (no double-edged knives allowed :( ).

Nice to see that you are able to use it for some real-life chores.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Nice review. Really like pics 3 and 4.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Nick D.

Post by Nick D. »

Thanks for the mini-review and great pictures! These reviews are excellent because they open us up to the versatility of the knife. I, for one, never associate the Warrior with making fuzz sticks but there it is. A combat knife with field, utility and some bushcraft capability. Thanks again for taking the time.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

The pronounced belly of the blade doesn't favour whittling, but the point is still almost on the axis of the handle. This makes the tip controllable and much more useful than the blade shape would suggest. The guard and finger grooves are a mixed blessing- limit grip options but very secure.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
monsterod

Post by monsterod »

Awesome !!great review !!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Great review, like the one about the Tuff!
BatCountry9

Post by BatCountry9 »

Wow. The Warrior is the only fixed Spydie I've ever really considered buying, but now I think I'm sold. Great to see it put to good hard use.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the review and for the great pics. The Warrior is an interesting knife with quite a story behind it.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Nice review. Clearly the owner/user knows his outdoor skills to include how to properly use a field knife!

I passed along my Spyderco Warrior to a good friend currently serving another tour overseas. He changed out the sheath and is as capable in blade combatives as the reviewer is with outdoor applications.

As with most other things in Life it's all in what you can do with what you have :spyder:

In my case, given a choice between a Spyderco Puuko and the Warrior I'd go with the Puuko for both field and SD/combatives use. Just say'in :D
GW
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I agree. It's an excellent and informative review. It shows that, in the right hands, the Warrior can perform tasks other than those for which it was designed. However, it does not change my opinion that, if someone is only looking for a camp knife, the Schempp Rock would be a more sensible choice. I love the Stretch, and I think it does a reasonably good job when used for food prep, but if someone were to ask about kitchen knives, it's not the knife I would recommend.

If the pricing situation was reversed, it might be a different matter. For some folks, saving $90 would be more than sufficient justification to "make do" with a knife that is advertised as being designed as a weapon and optimized for reverse grip. However, that is not the case here. In fact, the exact opposite is true. The Schempp Rock, which has similar dimensions and is advertised as having been designed specifically as a camp knife, costs $90 less.

Unless, of course, the buyer actually needs a combat knife that can also be used for camping, or intends to camp in an area the could double as a Q-fog test chamber and is drawn to the Warrior beacause H-1 is impervious to rust, or is simply enamored with the idea of owning a combat knife and simply using camping as an excuse to indulge that fascination.

Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I've been known to occasionally indulge my "inner 13 year old" with a humungous Bowie, a boot knife, or one of Microtech's adult jack-in-the-boxes. However, if anyone asked why I owned an Ultratech, I'd expect to get funny looks and perhaps hear a snicker or two if I started extolling its virtues as a letter opener.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:I agree. It's an excellent and informative review. It shows that, in the right hands, the Warrior can perform tasks other than those for which it was designed. However, it does not change my opinion that, if someone is only looking for a camp knife, the Schempp Rock would be a more sensible choice.
I completely agree Paul. ANYONE paying over $200+ for a "camp knife" really needs to consider the decent options out there. Like a Moran and a proper saw.

For a knife that can double as a camp knife though it's nice to see it stand up well enough.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Very, very cool review. It's not that hard to make a knife durable as well as dangerous, I won't buy a "stabber" only knife that I have to worry about breaking if I need it for any of the tougher chores a knife can be used for. I have folders for light work, that take up half the space on my person.

Thanks!