Native Chief M390 sprint run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tactikool

Re: Native Chief M390 sprint run

Post by tactikool »

I guess Spyderco changed their policy on offering the OPFOCUS discount on the M390 Chief. The price on the satin version has been brought down to 122.50 and 145.00 for the DLC at checkout.
rgc

Post by rgc »

The Chief is the only knife I own two of and if I find a deal on a Rex45 sprint run I would make it three. Granted I stumbled on to this model due to the Cutlery Shoppe special so I am new to the game, but, it was love at first fondle once I got it.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Really enjoying my 2 m390 examples. This is such a great, functional model. Love the authoritative and solid lock up too
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Quantities on the DLC model went from +350 to under 130 in two days.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
rgc

Post by rgc »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:10 am
Quantities on the DLC model went from +350 to under 130 in two days.
It is a very slick knife, I love mine.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Well, I finally broke down and got one. I opted for the satin finish. I admit I don't need it, I just wanted it. I have a Cutlery Shoppe XHP and that should be all I need, but what the ****, it's a beautiful knife. The plus is I don't add or mod anything on the Native Chief. I feel the clip works perfectly with this knife for it's size and shape. And please, Sal, make one (or a Manix2) in K390.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I am very lucky in that I have all of the Native Chiefs. I'd buy 3x as many of the knives and stick them all over the place in the home and car for self defense. Excellent knives!

I just need to win the Powerball tonight, and I'll buy multiples of them.

:party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Stas

Post by Stas »

Let's make it visual. Please show yours who got it already. Still waiting for mine to arrive :)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:26 pm
I am very lucky in that I have all of the Native Chiefs. I'd buy 3x as many of the knives and stick them all over the place in the home and car for self defense. Excellent knives!

One of my favorite Spydies, but still not sure about my ability to open it quick enough. Like Endura or PM2 for instance.
You should be really good at it!

EDIT: grammar
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Stas wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:12 am
Naperville wrote:

One of my favorite Spydies, but still not sure about my ability to open it quick enough. Like Endura or PM2 for instance.

I did not win the $1 Billion dollar Powerball, so I am holding on that vast collection of Native Chiefs. :squinting-tongue

Opening the Native Chief quickly is not something I've been able to master. I asked @MichaelJanich if 5x5 Combat Solutions was going to provide a solution (Pickpocket Exo-ccessory) for faster opening and he said that they would, but I have not seen the new solution on the 5x5 website yet. I hope that they roll it out, I'll buy at least 2, maybe more. I'll call tomorrow and leave a message, and anyone else interested should do the same: 772-713-1178.

This is the device order page, but no support for the Native Chief yet.
https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols ... o-ccessory
Last edited by Naperville on Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Stas

Post by Stas »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:23 am
Stas wrote:
Naperville wrote:

I did not win the $1 Billion dollar Powerball, so I am holding on that vast collection of Native Chiefs. :squinting-tongue

Opening the Native Chief quickly is not something I've been able to master. I asked @MichaelJanich if 5x5 Combat Solutions was going to provide a solution for faster opening and he said that they would, but I have not seen the new solution on the 5x5 website yet. I hope that they roll it out, I'll buy at least 2, maybe more. I'll call tomorrow and leave a message, and anyone else interested should do the same: 772-713-1178.

Thank you for the reply! The opening factor is the reason I still prefer 'much less visually appealing' Wave Endura for this need ;) Even regular Endura is much faster due to exposed hole and the lock construction. But I love Native Chief!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Stas wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:36 am
Naperville wrote:
Stas wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Opening the Native Chief quickly is not something I've been able to master. I asked @MichaelJanich if 5x5 Combat Solutions was going to provide a solution for faster opening and he said that they would, but I have not seen the new solution on the 5x5 website yet. I hope that they roll it out, I'll buy at least 2, maybe more. I'll call tomorrow and leave a message, and anyone else interested should do the same: 772-713-1178.

Thank you for the reply! The opening factor is the reason I still prefer 'much less visually appealing' Wave Endura for this need ;) Even regular Endura is much faster due to exposed hole and the lock construction. But I love Native Chief!
The Native Chief hits the spot as a near legal carry for me in IL(around 3 inch blade for a misdemeanor if they decide to charge you for self defense), and has the right blade profile. Not too much belly up near the tip so it should penetrate in a thrust, and plenty of blade for a cut.

I plan to live in a more knife friendly state at some point, but the knives are available now.

If the 5x5 Combat Solutions device becomes available, I think it will do the trick.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Naperville wrote:
Stas wrote:
Naperville wrote:

Opening the Native Chief quickly is not something I've been able to master. I asked @MichaelJanich if 5x5 Combat Solutions was going to provide a solution (Pickpocket Exo-ccessory) for faster opening and he said that they would, but I have not seen the new solution on the 5x5 website yet. I hope that they roll it out, I'll buy at least 2, maybe more. I'll call tomorrow and leave a message, and anyone else interested should do the same: 772-713-1178.

I'm able to thumb and Spydie flick my Cutlery Shoppe XHP Chief. I haven't gotten my M390 one yet, but I'm assuming I'll be able to do the same. Both are Satin finished, so maybe being uncoated is a plus in blade deployment. My M390 Manix2 is crazy drop shutty, and that too is uncoated. I don't see the need, other than aesthetics to coat stainless blades.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You also get coated liners. I have found the liners to not be as stainless as the M390 family. So this is a bonus to me. Maybe it is not the stainless steel, but just that moisture gets caught between the scales and the cut outs on the liners.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
rgc

Post by rgc »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:04 am
I'm able to thumb and Spydie flick my Cutlery Shoppe XHP Chief. I haven't gotten my M390 one yet, but I'm assuming I'll be able to do the same. Both are Satin finished, so maybe being uncoated is a plus in blade deployment. My M390 Manix2 is crazy drop shutty, and that too is uncoated. I don't see the need, other than aesthetics to coat stainless blades.
My DLC coated M390 Chief is much smoother and easier to thumb flick than my XHP uncoated Chief.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:30 am
You also get coated liners. I have found the liners to not be as stainless as the M390 family. So this is a bonus to me. Maybe it is not the stainless steel, but just that moisture gets caught between the scales and the cut outs on the liners.
There's no liners on the Native Chief.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:22 pm
JSumm wrote:
Correct, and one of my favorite features of the Chief. I should have clarified. About the comment of coating stainless blades and there being no real need. I would agree and I actually prefer noncoated blades. However, I do like the hardware being coated including liners on the models that get DLC. So just in general, a benefit in my eyes to coat stainless blades is to get coated hardware the only way currently to get it on Spydercos. For models with liners that can add some additional defense to corrosion that may get into some of those skelontinized areas. So just in general, why coat stainless blades.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm
Team Sick wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:22 pm
JSumm wrote:
Correct, and one of my favorite features of the Chief. I should have clarified. About the comment of coating stainless blades and there being no real need. I would agree and I actually prefer noncoated blades. However, I do like the hardware being coated including liners on the models that get DLC. So just in general, a benefit in my eyes to coat stainless blades is to get coated hardware the only way currently to get it on Spydercos. For models with liners that can add some additional defense to corrosion that may get into some of those skelontinized areas. So just in general, why coat stainless blades.
Valid point. I get it.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Sooner State Knives (not on the Dealer Locator List) has at least one satin & DLC listed for $175 & $203. The pics aren't of Collectors Club knives, but ya never know. If anybody is interested they're at the bottom of this page... http://www.soonerstateknives.com/newitems.html
•• Beau
vivi

Post by vivi »

$203 is close enough to my $200 limit. hmm.
:unicorn