What is the best Sage model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Re: What is the best Sage model?

Post by Candyman »

I'm really surprised there's not a lot of mention of the 4 in this thread. My opinion, hands down the best one there is. It is one of the most beautiful knives out there. Gorgeous Arizona ironwood, every pattern is different and the snap when you lock it into place is one of the most amazing sounds there is. Yes sir.....Sage 4 it is.

Rich
Think for yourself
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Richierich252000 wrote:I'm really surprised there's not a lot of mention of the 4 in this thread. My opinion, hands down the best one there is. It is one of the most beautiful knives out there. Gorgeous Arizona ironwood, every pattern is different and the snap when you lock it into place is one of the most amazing sounds there is. Yes sir.....Sage 4 it is.

Rich
Always on the hunt for a 4 at a decent price, totally agree with you Rich, the 4 is probably the nicest looking out of all. Unfortunately for me I had just started collection :spyder:'s when the 4 disco'd and started drying up. I'm sure I will find one eventually, they seem to be selling for over 3 bills on the secondary and reasonably priced ones get snapped up almost instantly on the exchange.

I'd love to see some pictures of yours if your willing. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I had a Sage 5 and just sold it because I prefer the smoothness and function of the Sage 1 much more. I really LOVE the compression lock and I love the Para 1 and Para 2 big time.....it's just not my bag on the Sage 5.

Sage 1 for me. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Here they are in all their glory. I'll get some close ups of the wood pattern when I get home.
Think for yourself
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:Always on the hunt for a 4 at a decent price, totally agree with you Rich, the 4 is probably the nicest looking out of all. Unfortunately for me I had just started collection :spyder:'s when the 4 disco'd and started drying up. I'm sure I will find one eventually, they seem to be selling for over 3 bills on the secondary and reasonably priced ones get snapped up almost instantly on the exchange.

I'd love to see some pictures of yours if your willing. :)
I managed to snag one in a package deal with some other knives. That kept the cost down. Posted this in the "Show me yer bolsters" thread.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Lookin good guys, that's what I call a dedicated Sage 4 aficionado Rich. :D Awesome package deal, all great pieces tvenuto. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:Lookin good guys, that's what I call a dedicated Sage 4 aficionado Rich. :D Awesome package deal, all great pieces tvenuto. :)
Oh ha that would have been one epic packaged deal indeed, but that was not the package. Those were just all the knives I have with bolsters.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

tvenuto wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Lookin good guys, that's what I call a dedicated Sage 4 aficionado Rich. :D Awesome package deal, all great pieces tvenuto. :)
Oh ha that would have been one epic packaged deal indeed, but that was not the package. Those were just all the knives I have with bolsters.
Copy that, would be a sweet package deal though(pricey too), out of those I only have the Schempp Bowie, on the look out for the others but man are they hard to find at a decent price. Do you carry the Schempp Bowie very often? Mine has a weak detent so it doesn't get much pocket time.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

farnorthdan wrote:Copy that, would be a sweet package deal though(pricey too), out of those I only have the Schempp Bowie, on the look out for the others but man are they hard to find at a decent price. Do you carry the Schempp Bowie very often? Mine has a weak detent so it doesn't get much pocket time.
Indeed they are, the Kris in particular since it's been gone for so long. And to think that it had a sub $200 MSRP!

It was a gift from my wife, so the Bowie has been my "weekend carry" for a while now. It hasn't had to cut too much, but I do like watching the patina develop on the bolster. The detent is a tad weak, but the blade is nested into the handle to such a degree that it doesn't seem like an issue. I always prefer the self close of a back lock, and were the bowie a back lock it would be closer to my favorite as far as designs go.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

David Lowry wrote:I had a Sage 5 and just sold it because I prefer the smoothness and function of the Sage 1 much more. I really LOVE the compression lock and I love the Para 1 and Para 2 big time.....it's just not my bag on the Sage 5.

Already, bro?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I have them all, and I like them all...

the Sage I - for the money - is one of the best Taichung spyderco knives out there...

I still say the Military and Paramilitary are the best knives for the money on the planet!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Jazz wrote:
David Lowry wrote:I had a Sage 5 and just sold it because I prefer the smoothness and function of the Sage 1 much more. I really LOVE the compression lock and I love the Para 1 and Para 2 big time.....it's just not my bag on the Sage 5.

Already, bro?
Nope. I just typed all that for fun. Of course, already. I don't keep what I will not use.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Got 1 2 3 4 & pre-order the 5. I love them.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Sage 2 all the way. Have a Sage 1 and it is just to gritty. No matter what I do I cannot get it to be smooth. Like it but must have got a dud. But both my Sage 2's are perfect. Can't stop fiddling with them. No matter what I carry each day theSage 2 is always on me.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The 5 is really starting to grow on me the more I carry it. I usually prefer a longer blade but am really appreciating the compactness of the Sage. I've always liked the look of the 2 but have held back because of its size but am starting to seriously consider picking one up now after carrying the 5 for a few days.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Flipping Addict wrote:Sage 2 all the way. Have a Sage 1 and it is just to gritty. No matter what I do I cannot get it to be smooth. Like it but must have got a dud. But both my Sage 2's are perfect. Can't stop fiddling with them. No matter what I carry each day theSage 2 is always on me.
My Sage 1 had a gritty feeling when I first got it. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't as smooth as my Sage 2. I bought it used and the gritty feeling bothered me so I went ahead and took it apart. Sure enough there was quite a bit of debris in the pivot area. I cleaned everything up and now it's considerably smoother.
farnorthdan wrote:The 5 is really starting to grow on me the more I carry it. I usually prefer a longer blade but am really appreciating the compactness of the Sage. I've always liked the look of the 2 but have held back because of its size but am starting to seriously consider picking one up now after carrying the 5 for a few days.
If you get used to the size and you like titanium frame locks than the Sage 2 should be a winner for you. Although I do have to say that, since I got my Mantra, the Sage 2 hasn't seen much carry time. I'll always like the Sage 2 but I just can't get over how crazy smooth that Mantra is.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Flipping Addict wrote:Sage 2 all the way. Have a Sage 1 and it is just to gritty. No matter what I do I cannot get it to be smooth. Like it but must have got a dud. But both my Sage 2's are perfect. Can't stop fiddling with them. No matter what I carry each day theSage 2 is always on me.
My Sage 1 had a gritty feeling when I first got it. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't as smooth as my Sage 2. I bought it used and the gritty feeling bothered me so I went ahead and took it apart. Sure enough there was quite a bit of debris in the pivot area. I cleaned everything up and now it's considerably smoother.
farnorthdan wrote:The 5 is really starting to grow on me the more I carry it. I usually prefer a longer blade but am really appreciating the compactness of the Sage. I've always liked the look of the 2 but have held back because of its size but am starting to seriously consider picking one up now after carrying the 5 for a few days.
If you get used to the size and you like titanium frame locks than the Sage 2 should be a winner for you. Although I do have to say that, since I got my Mantra, the Sage 2 hasn't seen much carry time. I'll always like the Sage 2 but I just can't get over how crazy smooth that Mantra is.
I've had my eye on the Mantra also, already have the Mantra 2 but have only carried it a couple times, just hasn't clicked for me, wish I would have grabbed the Mantra instead. Kinda Mantra shy now :o

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I love my Sage 4. Bolstered ironwood backlock is definitely 'best'*

*For a given value of best. Your mileage may vary :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
animportant

Post by animportant »

tvenuto wrote:
animportant wrote:Sage 3 - weak self close, could someone explain what this is?

Btw, bladehq ran a test on spyderco lock strength, and sage 3 BAL came out on top.

I seriously regret selling my sage 3! Will be picking up a 5 soon
On back locks, BBL, and BA locks, the locking mechanism interacts with the shape of the blade tang to create a closing force that must be overcome to open the knife. If you open the blade a few degrees and let go, the blade gets sucked back into the handle. Once you pass a certain point, this stops and the blade stays where you leave it. I have found the BA lock and the BBL to have weak self close relative to other back locks.
Gotcha, that would have been my guess on what you meant. For me personally, I like how this works in a bbl or bal instead of a backlock. Once I'm past what I'm used to as the detent, I'd rather it just hang there instead of close like 35% of the way out.