What is the best Sage model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cogito

What is the best Sage model?

Post by Cogito »

I have really been looking into Sages a lot, but I'm confused because there seems to be five different models. Does one model have better qualities than the others?

Thanks a lot guys.
SG89

Re: What is the best Sage model?

Post by SG89 »

Each Sage model has a different lock. What is best is your opinion. Get a Sage or two with the lock style you prefer. I have owned a Sage 1 and have a Sage 5 on pre-order. A lot of people rave about the Sage 2 and 3.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

The best one is always the one you haven't got :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cogito wrote:I have really been looking into Sages a lot, but I'm confused because there seems to be five different models. Does one model have better qualities than the others?

Thanks a lot guys.
That's the point of the Sage series: same form factor with different lock designs. Thus, if you like the ergos you can pick the lock that you like the best.

In general, I think the Sage series strikes a great balance in usable size, hand filling ergos, and easy carry-ability. It's a very middle of the road folder that does a lot of things well, and is a great "upscale" EDC. All made in Taichung, the fit and finish on every one I've held has been superb.

Like all things, there are advantages and disadvantages to each lock design and there is no objective "best."

Sage 1&2: A liner lock and frame lock respectively, these locks operate in similar manner and have the advantages and disadvantages inherent to these locks. They have the advantage of flow-through construction, but the disadvantage of the ball detent, which once defeated allows the knife to open. There is also the disadvantage of "handed" operation, where lefties need to use it differently than righties. The 1 has good texture. The 2 has smooth titanium, which might be a bit less secure in the pocket, and will definitely show wear (scratches) in use.

Sage 3: The only knife that spyderco has ever offered in the "bolt action" lock, and is the most underrated spyderco knife in my opinion. Most people don't give this one much thought and that's a mistake. The advantage of the BAL is insanely smooth action, and ambidextrous operation. The disadvantages are a relatively weak "self close," and closed back construction, which may make cleaning more difficult. The current handle offering is very similar to the Sage 1, which offers a bit of texture and visual interest, as well as resistance to showing scratches. This one is my personal favorite.

Sage 4: A bolstered back lock. It's one of the few knives in spyderco's line-up ever to be offered with a natural material. A very smooth and solid back lock, this one has the advantage of ambidextrous operation and a great self close. The disadvantage is closed back construction. The titanium bolsters will show wear, and I do believe this might be the heaviest of the sage series. This one comes in a close second for me, as I love the use of Desert Ironwood, and personally love back locks.

Sage 5: A compression lock model with a peel ply texture. For fans of the comp lock, this one offers a more compact form factor than the PM2. Pretty much the same pro/con list as the liner lock, the main difference here will be how you prefer the comp lock to liner lock operation.

Again which Sage will work best for you is highly dependent on what you value in a folder. I personally don't do anything particularly dirty with my knives, so lack of flow through construction is not a disadvantage. I enjoy the novel operation and insane smoothness of the bolt action lock in the Sage 3, and the unique materials and rock solid back lock in the Sage 4. But truly, at this point there is a Sage for everyone.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

"Best" is an opinion defined by each individual alone. :) All of the Sages are great knives. They're a platform for celebrating great lock designs. If you prefer one lock over another, that's probably the Sage for you. There's no bad choice. :D
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The best one is the one you've already paid for! :) In my case it's this well used Sage 2. Love this implementation of the frame lock. This knife works exceptionally well as an office EDC.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thanks, guys
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I carry the Sage 1 & 2 way more than I carry the Sage 3. The S3 is a little wider than the other models and it doesn't feel quite as good in my hand. Don't get me wrong, it's a great model. I just don't choose it as much as the others.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Something to consider is the fact that the Sage 3 has a fatter and slightly longer handle profile. That said, I find that it handles very similarly to my Sage 1 & 2. My Sage 1 flicks open easiest but the sage 3 can fall open and closed by releasing lock pressure just like the CBBL knives.

I'm waiting somewhat patiently for KW to get 5s and fulfill my pre-order...
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I own all but the 5 and carry the 1 and 2 the most. But there is something perfect about the 2...
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

Would it be fair to say that newer Sage models are not because of CQI, but rather iterations of the same knife with different locks?
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I have owned the 1-3 and personally find the 2 to be my favorite. The 3 and the new 5 would be my next choices.

I think it probably comes down to personal preference more than anything.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Skaaphaas wrote:Would it be fair to say that newer Sage models are not because of CQI, but rather iterations of the same knife with different locks?
Yes that is the point of the Sage series to showcase different locks while keeping everything else similar save for the scales
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sage 1 was the first high end knife I ever owned and was the smoothest I had handled until getting the Sage 3. Sage 2 is like a budget Sabenza. Sage 3 is probably my favorite because of it's smoothness and the bolt action lock, which is unique since it's the only Spyderco you can buy that has this lock. Sage 4 is unique in the lineup for having bolsters and wood scales. Sage 5 is like the perfect storm of awesome ergonomics and an awesome proven lock design.

If I could combine features, I'd probably take the Sage 4 scales/bolsters and mix them with the bolt action lock (if that could be done without jacking up the looks of the bolster).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have 1-4 and will have a 5. I like them all but the 2 is my favorite. Talk about a minimalist knife!

The 5 may change things. I like compression locks the best (and I'm left-handed).
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Cogito

Post by Cogito »

Thanks fir the photos guys. That Ti Sage 2 is beautiful.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I don't have a Sage yet. I was torn between the 1 and 2 (limited budget means hard choices), and I'd decided on the 2. Then they announced the 5, which is an improvement in terms of the CF on the 1, and I really like the compression lock. I've also come to appreciate the 3 a little more than before. So now, for me, it's 5>2>1=3>4.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
animportant

Post by animportant »

Sage 3 - weak self close, could someone explain what this is?

Btw, bladehq ran a test on spyderco lock strength, and sage 3 BAL came out on top.

I seriously regret selling my sage 3! Will be picking up a 5 soon
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

animportant wrote:Sage 3 - weak self close, could someone explain what this is?

Btw, bladehq ran a test on spyderco lock strength, and sage 3 BAL came out on top.

I seriously regret selling my sage 3! Will be picking up a 5 soon
On back locks, BBL, and BA locks, the locking mechanism interacts with the shape of the blade tang to create a closing force that must be overcome to open the knife. If you open the blade a few degrees and let go, the blade gets sucked back into the handle. Once you pass a certain point, this stops and the blade stays where you leave it. I have found the BA lock and the BBL to have weak self close relative to other back locks.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I only have two, the 3 and just got the 5. The 3 is way smoother but of course the 5 is new. My 3 is the blue G10 version, it really is a nice piece and I love the bolt action but this 5 is starting to grow on me, been carrying it for a couple days now and love the way it fits my hand, I generally prefer a longer blade but so far the 5's blade length seems to be sufficient. I've always been very fond of the compression lock and the 5 does not disappoint.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."