An ongoing mystery: Why still no ffg Manix 2 SE? (NOT meant as a complaint)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: An ongoing mystery: Why still no ffg Manix 2 SE? (NOT meant as a complaint)

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:23 pm
- H2 makes a lot of sense to me! LC is in my use inferior to VG10 (I don´t need that level of corrosion resistance), but H2 offers something special: The sabre hollow grind that comes with it! Nice to have that as an option in the quiver, cause it cuts better in some tasks, and offers a stronger blade and more robust tip for really brutal work.
Came here to read about a knife I'm not particularly interested in, a FFG Manix2 SE, thinking this was a safe zone, but then you go right ahead and convince me I need a SXL in H2.. :woozy
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
Came here to read about a knife I'm not particularly interested in, a FFG Manix2 SE, thinking this was a safe zone, but then you go right ahead and convince me I need a SXL in H2.. :woozy

So now I can reveal it: I am of course not interested at all in a serrated Manix, but the whole purpose of starting this thread was indeed to cunningly trick you into getting an H2 SXL... worked out well it seems! :smirk :grin-sweat
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein, have you used LC200N much yet? Can't recall. It seems like a steel you'd enjoy. Corrosion resistance aside I find it's tougher, works better under more acute edge angles, and sharpens more easily than VG10. Though I can understand those not being the biggest priorities for a folding knife that doesn't get reprofiled - it's worth mentioning there's more on the table than being a salt worthy steel.
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:04 am
riclaw wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am
I think the Stretch XL coming out in PE, CE, and SE was them testing the waters. We see the results of the test in the recent Discontinued list.

I was thinking something to the effect too when I saw the latest disco´ed list.

But look at the new Reveal: If they really had come to the conclusion with their "test" that SE is not a thing (anymore):
Why then bring out the Bodacious in SE? And the Lil Native LW both in Satin and black? And the Chief LW Salt (and BD1N)? And the Stretch XL Salt? And a Chap SE.. ?

Even more so since it is pretty much always the case that LW Salts come out in Spyderedge too (is there any FRN Salt not offering this? Including Golden ones? [and yes, I am aware that technically the Manix LW does not have an FRN, but FRCP handle ;) )
Schempp rock salt if you're counting fixed blades. Caspian only got CE, no SE.
:unicorn
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
- H2 makes a lot of sense to me! LC is in my use inferior to VG10 (I don´t need that level of corrosion resistance), but H2 offers something special: The sabre hollow grind that comes with it! Nice to have that as an option in the quiver, cause it cuts better in some tasks, and offers a stronger blade and more robust tip for really brutal work.
😂 I’m in exactly the same boat - I couldn’t give two hoots about the baby manix, SE or otherwise, but now I’m perusing the pre-order section of Knifecentre (also known as the section of extreme delayed gratification and teasing emails).

My wallet curses you Gernot, you cunning rogue!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:13 am
Wartstein, have you used LC200N much yet? Can't recall. It seems like a steel you'd enjoy. Corrosion resistance aside I find it's tougher, works better under more acute edge angles, and sharpens more easily than VG10. Though I can understand those not being the biggest priorities for a folding knife that doesn't get reprofiled - it's worth mentioning there's more on the table than being a salt worthy steel.
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:04 am
riclaw wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am

I have one PE and one SE knife in LC200N - a Waterway and my Salt 2 (SE).

I have sharpened the Salt perhaps only about two or three times yet (it´s often my choice when I am in the mountains and actually NOT anticipate to need a knife - it is a perfect weighs-next-to-nothing-just-in-case - choice, but does not see a ton of use)
The Waterway got quite some sharpenings yet.
And yes, very easy and satisfying steel when it comes to sharpening!

I still prefer VG10, to me it feels like it has better edge holding while still being easy to touch up.

But what you say about the high toughness and thus the option for more acute edge angles has always interested me:
Since they say that geometry actually contributes more to edge retention than the type of steel, one should be able to enhance the edge holding of LC in a way that VG10 could not take - very steep angles, for which VG10 would not be tough enough anymore (but LC is) - ?

All I can say is: I got my Waterway from fellow forum member Pancake, and he thinned the (LC200N) blade out quite a bit (he is a hobbyist knife maker) - cuts great, and no issues with structural integrity or chipping.
And that though being a fixed blade I tend to use the Waterway "harder" than my folders, while its blade is not really thicker or stronger by design.
Really speaks for LC.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've been away for a while...haven't had much in the last few reveals to entice me. Has this topic ever gotten an answer or maybe a hint that we will be getting one in the future?

Just me over here sticking to the SE salts I'm used to...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:22 pm
I've been away for a while...haven't had much in the last few reveals to entice me. Has this topic ever gotten an answer or maybe a hint that we will be getting one in the future?

Just me over here sticking to the SE salts I'm used to...
No, nothing on that front, at least from all I know...

I am sure Spyderco will of course have their perfect and valid reasons why there is no SE Manix 2 in the lineup, but from my outsider and layman point of view I still don´t really get it (hence I started this thread).

I may reiterate my points:

- Sure, SE Spydies seemingly did not sell as well as hoped, and some SE versions got disco´ed.
But: Still quite some Spydercos come both in PE and SE, even completely new models (Examples: Stretch XL LW, Chief LW, Millie 2, Bodacious, Endela, Para 3 LW,...) where it is unclear in the beginning how well the platform itself will sell, while the Manix 2 is known to be an already popular model. So there just has to be an intersection of customers who love both the Manix 2 platform AND serrated edges.

- Especially Salt knives in almost all cases offer an SE version - so my personal hopes where really high that a Manix 2 LW Salt would do that too (though I´d be perfectly happy with a BD1N Manix 2 LW SE), and I am sure it would have its buyers, just like all the other SE Salts.

- The Manix 2 LW is also most likely popular enough that there are more "collector" kind of folks, who just want to have every version of it, and thus would by an SE one even if they´d not use it much or at all.

- From all I know in comparison to doing other variations it just can´t be that hard to grind teeth in a run of BD1N or MC bladed Manix 2 LWs... I mean, Spyderco does that in Golden for example with the Para 3 LW (BD1N) or Native 5 Salt (MC (and LC of course))

-
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I am a huge SE fan. Almost all my Spydies are SE or CE.

That said, I don’t really understand what keeps Spyderco making SE versions of so many of their knives. My observation is serrations are almost unknown in the folder world today. If serrated folders were profitable surely there would be a lot more competition from other brands, especially the high volume Chinese brands. Serrated competition does exist, but it’s like 100 to 1 plain edge.

Outside of this forum I don’t see much enthusiasm for serrations either.

So my conclusion is the continued introduction of so many serrated options by Spyderco is fueled by some combination of Spyderco users preference for SE and Spyderco being not entirely consumed with a quest for profit.

Btw most of the toothed competition is combo edge.

I’m glad Spyderco has serrations out the wazoo these days. It seems like there are more SE options these days than say 10 years ago. I wish there was an SE flipper option.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 10:24 pm
I am a huge SE fan. Almost all my Spydies are SE or CE.

That said, I don’t really understand what keeps Spyderco making SE versions of so many of their knives. My observation is serrations are almost unknown in the folder world today. If serrated folders were profitable surely there would be a lot more competition from other brands, especially the high volume Chinese brands. Serrated competition does exist, but it’s like 100 to 1 plain edge.

Outside of this forum I don’t see much enthusiasm for serrations either.

So my conclusion is the continued introduction of so many serrated options by Spyderco is fueled by some combination of Spyderco users preference for SE and Spyderco being not entirely consumed with a quest for profit.

Btw most of the toothed competition is combo edge.

I’m glad Spyderco has serrations out the wazoo these days. It seems like there are more SE options these days than say 10 years ago. I wish there was an SE flipper option.
Same here.
If I can get it, I´ll almost always take Spydercos (!) serrated edges over plain edges in folders (!).

I also would or do totally understand if Spyderco chooses to move away from SE a bit, since the market perhaps is not there.

But IF they do so I don´t understand their choices of knives they still give an SE option (again, even right from the start in new models, even fixed blades (Enuff 2...)!), while they don´t do so with ANY Manix 2 (other than that long discontinued hollow grind G10 Manix 2). Now not even with the Salt version, where SE really has a well established tradition.

Again, not a critique, it is rather that I just can´t see why from my uneducated point of view and would like to understand.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Oh, so as to why not that specific model, I don’t have a perfect theory but serrations are fragile and the Manix 2 is more of a tough knife. Doesn’t really explain why the Shaman comes SE though.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

zhyla wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 11:42 pm
serrations are fragile and the Manix 2 is more of a tough knife.

That has not been my experience. I've found that serrations cut some tough materials better than a plain edge. When the job is complete, the serrated edge is still suitable for continued use, while the plain edge can be disappointingly degraded.

For this reason, if I think I'm going to encounter some tough jobs throughout the day, the serrated knife is what goes in my pocket.
benben

Post by benben »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 am
zhyla wrote:
serrations are fragile and the Manix 2 is more of a tough knife.

That has not been my experience. I've found that serrations cut some tough materials better than a plain edge. When the job is complete, the serrated edge is still suitable for continued use, while the plain edge can be disappointingly degraded.

For this reason, if I think I'm going to encounter some tough jobs throughout the day, the serrated knife is what goes in my pocket.
My exact thoughts and experiences as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:54 am
RustyIron wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 am
zhyla wrote:

My exact thoughts and experiences as well.

Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I know I've said it in a different thread and that it would need to wait for the golden expansion to be finished, but I'd like to see the Manix LW become a showcase for different steels in serrated form through sprint runs.

The LW is more affordable and has become a popular model. The frcp handle should make switching colors for each new steel less of an expense and hassle. With no dedicated serrated option to compete against, the serrated sprints would have a better chance to sell. It would be nice to have a chance to see what steels like 3v, 4v, M4, 10v, CruWear, k490, Rex45, Aeb-l, Spy27 etc are really capable of with a spyderedge.

I know that serrated edges are not the most popular even among steel nerds. I do think the popularity of the Manix line and the lack of serrated option with the growing sentiment there should be a serrated option might just be enough to drum up enough attention to sustain a serrated sprint drop every now and then.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have no interest in a serrated Manix 2 in any steel, but I still don't understand why there aren't any in the lineup. It seems obvious there should be at least one. Maybe they haven't wanted to introduce a new blade until the screwed CQI came out, or until the Salt release. My guess is it's just a matter of time.

Good luck to all those wishing for one!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 2:13 pm
I'd like to see the Manix LW become a showcase for different steels in serrated form through sprint runs.

Nooooooo!!!!
I wouldn't be able to resist!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:12 pm
I have no interest in a serrated Manix 2 in any steel, but I still don't understand why there aren't any in the lineup. It seems obvious there should be at least one. Maybe they haven't wanted to introduce a new blade until the screwed CQI came out, or until the Salt release. My guess is it's just a matter of time.

Good luck to all those wishing for one!

Yeah, for me this is not about how popular SE is in general, it might even be that from a business/marketing point of view they sadly have to move away from "teeth" a bit.

It is really about IF SE at all, why then is it still given to quite some models that partly are not that popular (yet (?)...., and some ARE (popular) of course) or even to completely new models where no one knows how they´ll sell as a whole platform in the first place... but not and never to the Manix, not even in its "Salt" version.

It really can´t be due to the blade shape, it really can´t be cause of the steels used, like in "too much wear on the grinding wheels" or whatever, since BD1N and MC ARE done in SE, and at least the former should be rather "easy" to grind in comparison to harder steels.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It will probably happen eventually. Sal just needs some time to work his way down your wishlist.
Chap SE and Chief LW are checked off, so maybe the M2 SE is next 😄
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 am
It will probably happen eventually. Sal just needs some time to work his way down your wishlist.

:grin-sweat ... good one! ;)

I have to say though: If Sal ever actually considered my wishlist, I´d toss out all of my other wishes for the one and only true Chap XL (in my knife-fantasy land of course in SE... ) :smirk
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 am
Chap se is available?