An ongoing mystery: Why still no ffg Manix 2 SE? (NOT meant as a complaint)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

An ongoing mystery: Why still no ffg Manix 2 SE? (NOT meant as a complaint)

Post by Wartstein »

Let me start by stating again how absolutely amazing the new Reveal is, not only, but also when it comes to SE options:

- Chap SE!!
... and Bodicious right from the start, the salt versions of Stretch XL, Chief LW in both steel options, Lil Native LW satin and black, ALL come in SE and that despite looking at the latest disco´ed list I had the feeling "teeth" were not the best seller.

- And then the reveal of a Manix 2 LW Salt, so glad for the many who were waiting for that one (especially for Ladybug 93 ;) )!

So really nothing to complain about.
But still, out of real interest in Spyderco and how they approach things (and of course also cause I´d love to own one, won´t lie here) and exactly BECAUSE of all that SE options they gave other models:

- Why STILL no SE option for the ffg Manix?!

- Not even with the Salt version?

From my outside perspective I just don´t see a reason for that.

- I mean FRN (ok, FRCP for the Manix) salt knives pretty much always come in SE
too
- The Manix 2 LW would just have to sell well in SE, at least for some runs - so many love that model, and would get an SE version for practical or "collectors" reasons...

Any ideas what is still holding them back? They CAN do Magnacut in SE (of course) - look at the Native Salt.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Monty

Re: An ongoing mystery: Why still no ffg Manix 2 SE? (NOT meant as a complaint)

Post by Monty »

I have nothing to add other than a disappointed +1
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Even though my interest in SE has cooled off quite a bit (thankfully CE has revived my enthusiasm for serrations in general) I can understand your sentiment.

With even both versions of the Lil' Native LW getting the SE treatment it's curious that the M2 still doesn't have a serrated option. I would expect the market potential of a serrated Manix LW to exceed that of a Lil' Native, or even the regular Native for that sake. But then again, they already have production lines to do serrations on those platforms, so it may be more of a capacity issue rather than "not seeing the market potential".

Personally I expected, or at least hoped, they would carry over the full plethora of PE, SE and CE S2XL LW's to Salt counterparts in FFG LC200N. In that regard the HG H2 S2XL Salt took me a bit by surprise, and not in the most positive way - even though I'm glad to see any Salt version of the S2XL.
There's a glaring hole in Spyderco's lineup with regards to CE Salts.. OK, there is the Catcherman, but only for a few hot minutes. I was, and still am hoping that the S2XL Salt will fill this void eventually. I'm optimistic we'll see more variants of the S2XL salt as capacity opens up, and hope the same is true for the Manix Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:20 am

With even both versions of the Lil' Native LW getting the SE treatment it's curious that the M2 still doesn't have a serrated option. I would expect the market potential of a serrated Manix LW to exceed that of a Lil' Native, or even the regular Native for that sake. But then again, they already have production lines to do serrations on those platforms, so it may be more of a capacity issue rather than "not seeing the market potential".

They do, but then: The Bodacious will come out in PE in SE right from the beginning (when they don´t even know about it´s general market potential) - the Stretch XL came out right from the start in PE and SE (and CE), same goes for the Shaman, the Caribbean...

So they invested in SE treatment for all those models (and more), but don´t want to do it for a proven great seller?! :thinking
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am in a similar boat, looking for the Manix Salt SE, primary for yard work. The SE just cuts vines, weeds, etc. so much easier than PE. I was a bit surprised to see the new Salt Native Chief to get an SE option but not the Manix. I am sure it's coming so no big deal but just a bit surprised it was omitted.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If Spyderco always gave us what we wanted when we wanted it, they would have nothing to entice us with for future sales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I think the Stretch XL coming out in PE, CE, and SE was them testing the waters. We see the results of the test in the recent Discontinued list.

And I bet the profit margins on the Manix are slim compared to the PM2. Probably why the regular Manix's liners aren't skeletonized. Adding serrations would cost more and potentially increase the QC reject rate.
- Richard
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

maybe we'll see it eventually, especially with the salt version coming out.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:50 am
If Spyderco always gave us what we wanted when we wanted it, they would have nothing to entice us with for future sales.

:grin-sweat

But honestly: This is not a "NOW I or we want it" but something people have been asking for for a long time ,and while I do want a serrated Manix 2 LW indeed (would not have to be a Salt in my case) this fact is not the motivation for this particular thread.

But rather general interest why they still give so many models (also new ones) serrations, but never a Manix (other than a long discontinued, sabre hollow grind G10 Manix as far as I know).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am
I think the Stretch XL coming out in PE, CE, and SE was them testing the waters. We see the results of the test in the recent Discontinued list.

I was thinking something to the effect too when I saw the latest disco´ed list.

But look at the new Reveal: If they really had come to the conclusion with their "test" that SE is not a thing (anymore):
Why then bring out the Bodacious in SE? And the Lil Native LW both in Satin and black? And the Chief LW Salt (and BD1N)? And the Stretch XL Salt? And a Chap SE.. ?

Even more so since it is pretty much always the case that LW Salts come out in Spyderedge too (is there any FRN Salt not offering this? Including Golden ones? [and yes, I am aware that technically the Manix LW does not have an FRN, but FRCP handle ;) )
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:40 am

I hope so, and I hope it will be the "revealed" LW Manix (and I hope YOU´ll get a G10 Manix Salt too someday :smlling-eyes )

After all with the Chap it took a loooooong time too till it got is SE version...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:55 pm
Why STILL no SE option for the ffg Manix?!
Not even with the Salt version?

I was hoping for a serrated LW Manix, as well, but wasn't going to say anything. Remember the story of the Old Man, the Boy, and the Donkey?

Magnacut would be nice for such a knife, but so would some flavor of tool steel. The yellow handle with some red dye, the murdered out hardware, and a heavily patinated blade would be SICK.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:09 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:55 pm
Why STILL no SE option for the ffg Manix?!
Not even with the Salt version?

I was hoping for a serrated LW Manix, as well, but wasn't going to say anything. Remember the story of the Old Man, the Boy, and the Donkey?

I did not know that story (perhaps not a common one here in the place in Europe were I live?) but looked it up :smirk https://sites.pitt.edu/~dash/type1215.html

The last , concluding sentence here definitely has a lot of truth to it: "Try to please everyone, and you will please no one"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:34 am
I think that would be a bad test, and hope it isn’t so.
With the S2XL being linerless right out of the gate I think many realized it was determined to get a Salt version sooner or later. And it’s my impression that left many potential buyers, such as myself, waiting for the Salt.
To really mess up their data collection I went totally out of character and bought the G-10 version first. A knife I had zero interest in when it was revealed :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:06 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:40 am
(and I hope YOU´ll get a G10 Manix Salt too someday :smlling-eyes )
that would be great, but i'm not asking for any more. i'm so happy there's a manix salt and in a cool steel like magnacut that i'm basically done asking for things. i might still hope certain models and combinations of materials come to be, but i think i've irritated people around here enough. i'm just gonna try and stay quiet and enjoy the many great knives i have.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:19 am
I did not know that story (perhaps not a common one here in the place in Europe were I live?

I wasn't sure if the story would be recognizable in all parts of the world, but I knew you're clever enough to figure it out. Even though the details might change, I suspect all cultures have stories with similar lessons. And despite all the geographic and cultural differences, there's one thing upon which all the people of the world can agree: "We NEED a Manix 2 LW SE... and it should be bright red."

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Isn't the Man, the Boy, and the Donkey an Aesop Fable? He should be known in Europe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

As a huge Stretch fan, the Stretch 2XL in H-2 isn't what I was looking for unfortunately. For one, I much prefer the distinct upper slope that many Stretch knives have. It is something different as opposed to the same old thing. Secondly, while VG10 works as does my ZDP-189 (I am gentle with her), it would be nice to have something like S35VN (a great balance) or Magnacut (even better).

But I do have many other knives in the toolbox to enjoy along with Stretches that are in the rotation, so I really can't complain. We live in a Golden Age of knives - quite literally.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear kriezek:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kriezek wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:54 am
As a huge Stretch fan, the Stretch 2XL in H-2 isn't what I was looking for unfortunately. For one, I much prefer the distinct upper slope that many Stretch knives have. It is something different as opposed to the same old thing. Secondly, while VG10 works as does my ZDP-189 (I am gentle with her), it would be nice to have something like S35VN (a great balance) or Magnacut (even better).

But I do have many other knives in the toolbox to enjoy along with Stretches that are in the rotation, so I really can't complain. We live in a Golden Age of knives - quite literally.

Though not exactly a Stretch thread, as the one who started it and big Stretch fan (particularly the Stretch 1 and the XL LW in SE!!) I allow myself to reply ;)

- Yes, I also prefer the "original" Stretch blade shape, especially the a bit sturdier tip, but the straight spine is just fine too!

- Try the VG10 Stretch XL in SE! Really boosts the performance both of the steel as well a of the whole knife imo.

- H2 makes a lot of sense to me! LC is in my use inferior to VG10 (I don´t need that level of corrosion resistance), but H2 offers something special: The sabre hollow grind that comes with it! Nice to have that as an option in the quiver, cause it cuts better in some tasks, and offers a stronger blade and more robust tip for really brutal work.

(If you care to further discuss the matter, probably better to do this in THIS viewtopic.php?t=92147#p1613950 thread...)