Is the PM2 too big for my tiny hands or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PolarCatus

Re: Is the PM2 too big for my tiny hands or not?

Post by PolarCatus »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:59 am
Welcome to the forum PolarCatus! You're probably going to end up with both :)
Lawd my slim wallet is not ready for this!
From my lurkings on this forum this fate seems inevitable… But the Paramilitary 2 (and the para 3) seems lost without me!
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but feed us.'
—Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:00 pm
Just out of interest - what are you planning on using it for? My intended tasks for the day dictate what knives go into my pockets.
Mostly going to be some household fruit-cutting and other light duty tasks. Occasionally I like to whittle but the ergos of my Swiss Army Knife is getting annoying for prolonged toothpick-manufacturing (that damned corkscrew!). Once in a couple months I go on multi-day hikes with friends where it’ll be used from food prep to making some feather sticks.
And if push turns to shove turns to “yeah I’ll risk jail for my damned life” (pray that it never happens), it should hopefully be able to do some, er, human prep.
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but feed us.'
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 am
Plus: Differently to Para 3 to PM2, the Delica (roughly Para 3 size range) has also a thinner and less tall (not only SHORTER) handle than the Endela (roughly PM2 size range).
So the Delica could be an option for you if you want a substantially "smaller" handle than the Para 3 has regarding thickness and tallness.
I prefer hand-filling handles in general even if they turn out to be a bit more or a pocket hog. So that’s a non-issue.
Welp, God himself seems to want me to buy a Spyderco!
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

Thanks for all that feedback! I’m leaning somewhat towards a PM2 now.
Another question: People who own the CruCarta model, is handle flex a big issue for you? And to those who own DLC PM2s, do the coating interfere with the action?

Since I live in an area with very, very few brick ‘n mortar knife stores, I figure I’d just be sure of my choice before indulging myself at about Christmas time.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Of course you're really best off handling them both in a store. You will really know which one you like once you see them IRL side by side. But as far as your topic here my vote is PM2 for you. The extra cutting edge length of the pm2 is a functional updgrade, knife will cut better for longer in between sharpenings, and it can cut larger items. I don't think the pm2 handle is too big and you may actually find it more comfortable than the para 3 because you can choose to use the choil or get a full grip behind the choil which may nto be possible on a para3. The only drawback is a slightly larger carry footprint, which you said doesn't matter to you. I also find the para 3 looks a little funny as it's a bit of a thicker blade for the short length that it is. I like the knife but I think it's less universally appealing than the pm2.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

spydergoat wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:45 am
Of course you're really best off handling them both in a store. You will really know which one you like once you see them IRL side by side. But as far as your topic here my vote is PM2 for you. The extra cutting edge length of the pm2 is a functional updgrade, knife will cut better for longer in between sharpenings, and it can cut larger items. I don't think the pm2 handle is too big and you may actually find it more comfortable than the para 3 because you can choose to use the choil or get a full grip behind the choil which may nto be possible on a para3. The only drawback is a slightly larger carry footprint, which you said doesn't matter to you. I also find the para 3 looks a little funny as it's a bit of a thicker blade for the short length that it is. I like the knife but I think it's less universally appealing than the pm2.

Good points!

But though it actually is one of my "gripes" with the Para 3 that its generally pretty big and bulky handle still does not offer enough space for a good four finger grip behind the choil: I think with hands as small as the op´s this should still be possible.

Still I would definitely recommend the PM2 - also for the thick blade stock that you mentioned: It suits the PM2 better and gets more relativised on its longer and thus more tapered blade.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:13 am
spydergoat wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:45 am

Good points!

But though it actually is one of my "gripes" with the Para 3 that its generally pretty big and bulky handle still does not offer enough space for a good four finger grip behind the choil: I think with hands as small as the op´s this should still be possible.

Still I would definitely recommend the PM2 - also for the thick blade stock that you mentioned: It suits the PM2 better and gets more relativised on its longer and thus more tapered blade.
I think you’re right. I haven’t accurately measured my hand, but just by eyeballing it, I assume the OP has an even narrower grip than myself. And the Para 3 fits my hand just fine in a behind the choil grip. In fact it is one of the best fitting and most comfortable grips on any knife I own.

Normally that would make the P3 my obvious recommendation for the OP, but the P3 isn’t your normal interpretation of a smaller version of a larger knife. It’s the weird one out, where the main difference is just less cutting edge and less grip length. I sold my PM2 before I got my P3, but as far as I remember the grip on it was quite neutral and works well with my smaller hand. As Wartstein already mentioned, the grip should fit you just as well, but with a bit of excess handle sticking out instead of a more locked in grip on a P3. With the less than optimal clip position, the smaller P3 isn’t even a more convenient carry.

Basically, if one fits you ergonomically, the other will too. So for a person with small hands/narrow grip choosing between these two models comes down to what you expect to use your knife for and the edge length you prefer.
With that said, I personally have a love-hate relationship with the P3. And while we seem to finally have worked out our relationship, I believe the PM2 is a safer choice in the way that you get what you expect; a slightly larger knife that handles, cuts and carries well for its size. With the P3 it’s more complicated. It seems to be wildly popular, so a lot of people don’t seem to be bothered by these “issues”, but it’s something you should know about in order to have your expectations match what you get if you go with the P3.

You’ll hear a lot of people tell you that a large knife can do anything a small knife can, but not the other way around. And that a longer handle just give you grip options with no obvious downside. Well, I don’t agree.
One benefit of having smaller hands is that I can get into confined spaces and do very precise work, but to benefit from this I need small, agile tools that can be maneuvered in tight spaces. The P3 is probably not the best example for this type of use, but just thought I should mention it.

from two days ago: unsheathing electrical cables inside a junction box in the crawling space under my terrace, under finger numbing conditions (-14C/6F). Sometimes less is more
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

PolarCatus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:26 am
JoviAl wrote:
Just out of interest - what are you planning on using it for? My intended tasks for the day dictate what knives go into my pockets.
Mostly going to be some household fruit-cutting and other light duty tasks. Occasionally I like to whittle but the ergos of my Swiss Army Knife is getting annoying for prolonged toothpick-manufacturing (that damned corkscrew!). Once in a couple months I go on multi-day hikes with friends where it’ll be used from food prep to making some feather sticks.
And if push turns to shove turns to “yeah I’ll risk jail for my damned life” (pray that it never happens), it should hopefully be able to do some, er, human prep.
Almost any knife in Spyderco’s range will do these things with great aplomb. Whatever you end up going for I’m sure will be up to the task 👍🏻

Just throwing a cheeky extra knife into the mix - have you considered a Caribbean? It’s an utterly fantastic knife with a lot of sharpened edge for its modest size in pocket, a nice blade for food prep and woodworking, bank vault lock up and completely laughs in the face of rust. I work outdoors and this (along with a Magnacut mule fixed blade) are my two most used knives by a huge margin. It’s not as ‘sexy’ as a PM2, but it is one heck of a cutting tool!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:14 pm
PolarCatus wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:26 am
JoviAl wrote:
Just throwing a cheeky extra knife into the mix - have you considered a Caribbean? It’s an utterly fantastic knife with a lot of sharpened edge for its modest size in pocket, a nice blade for food prep and woodworking, bank vault lock up and completely laughs in the face of rust. I work outdoors and this (along with a Magnacut mule fixed blade) are my two most used knives by a huge margin. It’s not as ‘sexy’ as a PM2, but it is one heck of a cutting tool!
I’ve looked at it and it’s a **** of a knife! Although here in Europe it’s even more unreasonably priced than the PM2: out of the ones I’m interested in the Crucarta is €214 and the DLC digicam is €208. The Caribbean is a soul-crushing €254.
Man. I’m definitely going to America at some point.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve heard Golden Colerado is quite pleasant.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
PolarCatus

Post by PolarCatus »

JoviAl wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:29 am
I’ve heard Golden Colerado is quite pleasant.
Colorado in general is quite pleasant!
Went there once and loved it. Man, for me rural America is another level of fantastic.