Is the PM2 too big for my tiny hands or not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PolarCatus

Is the PM2 too big for my tiny hands or not?

Post by PolarCatus »

Thinking of buying my first spyderco at around Christmas, and am now seriously torn between the PM2 and Para 3. Both, as far as I know, are great knives.
I’d prefer the length of the PM2 (in my area these two are priced equally), however my hands are tiny tiny. The width of my four fingers clocks at 2.5 inches, and the width of my palm (measuring from base of thumb) is about 3.5 inches. Would the PM2 be too massive for me to use? Carry is not an issue since it will live in my bag. If it simply seems massive and does not impede comfortable usage then it’s ok for me.
Pictures from those with PM2s and also suffering from tiny hands very welcome :)

Thanks a lot guys!
'In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet and say to us, Make us your slaves, but feed us.'
—Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky
Michael Janich

Re: Is the PM2 too big for my tiny hands or not?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear PolarCatus:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

... I'd definitely go with the PM2 and its longer and thus more versatile blade.
Concerning handle height / handle thickness to my knowledge Para 3 and PM 2 are exactly the same.
If these two parameters are fine with your hands I don't see how the extra length of the PM2 should become a problem...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I have tiny hands.... I used to think that a knife could be too big. I have now learned that no, they can be the wrong ones if they are not comfortable, if they are comfortable then I will totally get a big knife. I didn't want a Shaman, it was too big, then I got one and it is awesome. Native Chief, while I still think it is a sword when I hold it, it is totally comfortable to use. I have found I can get many more different grips on the bigger knives so now I'm less inclined to pass over big knives without at least picking it up.
My opinion would be get both in the long run, but to start I would say get the PM2 first.
Pic time! I am just using one grip style on here to show how they fit my hand.
Para 3
Para3 open.jpg
Para3 Closed.jpg
PM2
PM2 Open.jpg
PM2 Closed.jpg
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome to the forum PolarCatus! You're probably going to end up with both :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

PolarCatus wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:38 pm
Would the PM2 be too massive for me to use?
Pictures from those with PM2s and also suffering from tiny hands very welcome :)

Thanks a lot guys!
Welcome!
I installed AWT "skinny" scales on my Para 3 and they made the grip MUCH slimmer. You might see if someone on ebay or in the Facebook "Mullie, PM2, Para3 Club" is selling either model with skinny scales already installed.
- Richard
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

While my XL hands greatly prefer the PM2 because of the added length, I don't think the Para3 would do better with smaller hands than the PM2 as they have very similar thickness and height.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The key ergonomics are essentially the same, there’s just more extra handle space on the PM2. You could think of the Para 3 as a PM2 Select, if you will.

I wear XL or 2XL gloves and both are fine for me to use. I don’t think one is more or less suited to smaller hands.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I used to think the PM2 was too big for me. Not really for my hands, just more knife than I wanted. I also thought that something like the Para 3 would be perfect. While knives the size of the Para 3 are generally what I consider to be my ideal size. As much as I like my Para 3's lately I find myself carrying PM2s much more often.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

You'll be fine with the PM2. My hands are about 3 inches across the knuckles with my hand held out flat and the PM2 fits in my hands just fine. I would call the PM2 about the perfect size for a pocket knife, but I guess that depends on what you're used to.

The Para 3 is a good knife, but I wouldn't really suggest it as a first Spyderco. I do like it as a little fidgety blade or when I want a knife with a blade under 3 inches, but it's kind of an awkwardly shrunken PM2 in my mind, and other than being smaller doesn't really do much better than the PM2.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Your hand-size does not disqualify the PM2.

If it did, folks with “normal” hand-sizes would not be drawn to the Military Model, as many here are, me included.

For me, the PM2 is now the Para3 I do not have.

ETA: Crap. My proof-reading sucks.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Your hands are only maybe slightly smaller than mine, and I would absolutely suggest the Pm2 over the Para3 if carrying it is not a problem. Even though my hands are small, larger handles are almost always more comfortable. 4.5 inch handle is my favored spot, 5 inch is my usual max. With the 5 inches of handle on my Endura, it doesn't feel excessive even though there is extra handle below my hand, it is actually comforting to have it there and means I can use virtually any grip without having to think about it. Any longer wouldn't be helpful, but up to that length I only have good things to say even with small hands. Add the fact that a longer blade is more versatile, I think the Pm2 is an easy choice.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Just out of interest - what are you planning on using it for? My intended tasks for the day dictate what knives go into my pockets.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I would select based on the size blade you need for your use, and what meets your local laws. A little extra handle is not a problem.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My four fingers measure about 2.75 inches. The PM2 works just fine for me, although I find it more comfortable to not use the choil for the cutting tasks that I do.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

bdblue wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:08 pm
I would select based on the size blade you need for your use, and what meets your local laws. A little extra handle is not a problem.
This ⬆️
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Personally have largeish hands but prefer the Para 3 over the PM2. Maybe the PM2 would feel better with a smaller grip? If it's going to live in your bag though Id like to make a plea to the good people of the jury to consider the Caribbean. Compared to the PM2 it has a more neutral handle and thumb ramp, no blade length squandered on a choil, and lc200n is a fine steel for using, abusing, then tossing back in a bag till next time.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I want to point out again:

I don´t think that the extra length of the PM2 handle can hurt, unless you want your hand to be really "bracketed" between front guard and rear "hook" - which with your small hand will feel more so with the Para 3 (while for my much larger hand the Para 3 handle is just too short behind the choil).

Height / width / thickness of the handles are what could potentially matter with really small hands, but concerning these measurements Para 3 and PM2 are pretty much the same as far as I recall (have/ had both, but never at the same time at home, so I could not actually directly compare)

While I am pretty certain that the Para 3/PM 2 handle thickness / height will be just fine even for your small hand, if at all THAT is what you should check - not length.

There are certainly a bit thinner handled folders like Delica / Endela - could, but don´t have to, feel better in you small hands (they actually also do so in my much larger ones).

Plus: Differently to Para 3 to PM2, the Delica (roughly Para 3 size range) has also a thinner and less tall (not only SHORTER) handle than the Endela (roughly PM2 size range).
So the Delica could be an option for you if you want a substantially "smaller" handle than the Para 3 has regarding thickness and tallness.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

You'll find the ergos nearly identical on both. So I'd pick based on your preferred blade length or pocket carry needs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve found that when I have my index finger forward on the choil the area I’m gripping is identical on the Para 3 and the PM 2. The longer handle on the PM 2 just extends back below the heel of my hand into space.

In the first two photos I set the Para 3 on top of the PM 2 to show the difference.

My palm measures ~3 1/4”, (in the web of my thumb to heel,) and my fingers, across the web of my fingers measures ~3”.

If you can go to a store and handle both, do so with your eyes closed. That way you can really tell how they feel without your eyes telling you how they feel.
Attachments
IMG_5358.jpeg
IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_5361.jpeg
IMG_5357.jpeg
Last edited by Pokey on Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.