What's your preferred EDC blade style?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which blade style do you prefer for EDC?

Model standard
57%
Hawkbill
4%
Wharncliffe
39%
Sheepsfoot
No votes

Total votes: 23

Cl1ff

Re: What's your preferred EDC blade style?

Post by Cl1ff »

Recurve with a low tip and sharp point.
The spine could be a variety of shapes and I’m fine with some variation generally.

Excluding recurves, I prefer straighter edges and still lower tips. Serrations and negative blade angles greatly reduce any gaps in performance I find for everything that’s not a recurve or wharncliffe. Spine shape remains not too important.

The Watu/Chokwe form or, like a lot of Spydercos, a negatively angled blade with a relatively shallow curve are both very good.

I enjoy Bowie style blades even though they often fall outside of my typical preferences like lower tips and straighter edges, but “Bowie” describes a huge range of shapes.

Basically, the better it is at pull cutting, the more I like it.

Hawkbill and Reverse-S blades are a little more specialized, but my EDC is not exactly consistent in nature. They can either be a little inconvenient or a very practical choice, depending on the day.

Recurves can easily offer the most practical blend of everything, though, and that’s why they’re my favorite.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

With the “Model standard” choice (I voted for it), I get my cake and can eat it, too.

Love the hawkbill, as in my standard Harpy and Superhawk. Love the Wharncliffe, as in my standard SwayBack and Canis. Love the sheepsfoot, as in my standard Assist and D’Allara Rescue.

But, when these blade-shapes become an option to what is the “Model standard”, they are not an automatic get for me. For example, I don’t want a Military2 wharnie, but I love my Lil’Native wharnie. Go figure.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

Anything insingo/Kapara style.
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

it seems like this survey is for marketing purposes and confines us to either the normal blade a model comes with or some of the other "standard options"... And I just love the responses, all individualized and knowledgeable responses!
It seems like a lot of people are describing "drop points with a belly". Very nice. Both stylistically and functionally.

I can see wyojohns point of hawksbill making all cutting effortless. But is it overkill in the office for envelopes and boxes? (maybe). I think it has its place in cutting ropes under tension, for sure. I would enjoy discussing more uses for the hawksbill (man, I just love knives and knife discussions)
Alex
Scientia et pax
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:55 pm
What exactly is "model standard"?

EDIT: Maybe this will help...

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... de-shapes/
i'm guessing something utilitarian style haha (drop point)
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin