Replacement clip for Delica 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
robin.mlynar

Replacement clip for Delica 4

Post by robin.mlynar »

Hi,
I'm the owner of three Spyderco knifes. Delica 4, Native 5 and Chaparral. Delica 4 is the oldest one, serving for more than 10y.
20240213_083252_resize.jpg
Clip of delica is weak and scratched, so I wanted to replace it. I tried to order new clip twice on oficial website (https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ent-clips/). Upload photos, fill every information, but no one answered. Its more than 7 days i send a request.
So I want to ask if Spyderco support is working and how long should I wait for answer?
I have no problem with pay fee and shipment. Why there is no other way to buy original replacement clip via online order, if oficial store does not communicate with customers?

thank for your help,
Robin M.
TazKristi

Re: Replacement clip for Delica 4

Post by TazKristi »

robin.mlynar wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:02 am
Hi,
I'm the owner of three Spyderco knifes. Delica 4, Native 5 and Chaparral. Delica 4 is the oldest one, serving for more than 10y.
20240213_083252_resize.jpg
Clip of delica is weak and scratched, so I wanted to replace it. I tried to order new clip twice on oficial website (https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ent-clips/). Upload photos, fill every information, but no one answered. Its more than 7 days i send a request.
So I want to ask if Spyderco support is working and how long should I wait for answer?
I have no problem with pay fee and shipment. Why there is no other way to buy original replacement clip via online order, if oficial store does not communicate with customers?

thank for your help,
Robin M.
Hi, Robin:
Welcome to our forum. I'm sorry for the frustration, but SFO (our outlet store) has been short-staffed due to a local event. They are working diligently to catch up and will reply as soon as possible. Your patience and understanding are appreciated.

We hope you enjoy your time with us on our forum.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

robin.mlynar wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:02 am
Clip of delica is weak and scratched, so I wanted to replace it.

Hey, Robin.
I know this isn't the answer to your exact question, but it might help, nevertheless.

For the weak springiness, remove the clip. Clamp the end in a vise, the end with the holes. Clamp it as close to the first bend as possible. Now push with your thumb as close that first bend as you can, and straighten out that first bend a little bit. You'll have to push further than you want it because it's a spring, after all, and it will spring back some amount. You're just trying to change the first bend, so don't try to straighten the clip by pushing on the end. Reinstall and test the springiness. Redo it if you don't get it right the first time.

If you don't have a vise, you can use a Vise-Grip pliers. If you don't have either, then now you have a good excuse to go buy some basic tools. Win!

Now that you have the strength of the spring exactly where you want it, it's time to address the ugly finish. Take a piece of sandpaper or emery cloth, about 180 to 400 grit, and just sand away the ugly black finish. When it's gone, continue sanding, but keep your strokes running perfectly straight along the length of the clip. You'll end up with a pretty, brushed finish.

In my opinion, the brushed finish is more complementary to the blade steel and the screws. The black finish doesn't look right to me. If you already have all the stuff, you'll be done in half an hour and the clip will be better than it was originally.

robin.mlynar

Post by robin.mlynar »

Thank you! I'll try your tip and hope the outlet store Will be ready soon.