Is the Drunken worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ramblinwreck

Is the Drunken worth it?

Post by ramblinwreck »

I have a chance to purchase a new Drunken for a great price. I already have the Paysan and was wondering if this model is different enough to warrant a purchase? I’ll probably keep it more for the collection vs heavy use. Just wanted to get some thoughts first.
Mushroom

Re: Is the Drunken worth it?

Post by Mushroom »

I think it is plenty different enough from the Paysan to justify buying, in my opinion.

The Drunken feels so light and nimble in hand that it’s a completely different experience from the Paysan. They’re both works of art but the detail and precision on the Drunken is outstanding.

I’d say go for it. :cheap-sunglasses :bug-white-red
- Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

That knife is expensive enough only you can answer if it’s worth it to you.

From a value point of view I highly doubt you will be able to get your money out of it on a long enough timeline.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

If you're saying it's a "great price," it sounds like you've already decided it's worth it!

In my opinion, It's fairly unique in the Spyderco lineup as a whole, let alone in comparison to the Paysan.

It's on my short list of future Spyderco purchases. I haven't decided to actually seek one out, but next time I see one at a good price I'm definitely gonna buy it.

I say go for it, also.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I have one I love it.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

Yes very nice and worth experiencing.
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

Thanks guys. I grabbed it for $350 shipped in like new condition.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Get it! I love mine, I just wish it was all Ti with the same texturing.

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The clip is hard to use with thick pants pockets, but other than that, the Drunken is a fine knife.
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I really don’t see an issue with the clip I just bent it out a little. Same thing I do with my pm2’s. It’s a wonderful knife beautiful and the quality is amazing. Same size and weight of a pm2.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

The Drunken is a great knife but the clip is bad. I wished it would have come with the standard spoon clip like the Paysan which I love. Casey Lynch should be dropping his clip for the Drunken any day now, which is going to make a lot of people wish they picked one up before they were discontinued. The knife itself is simply amazing other than the clip.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:29 pm
The Drunken is a great knife but the clip is bad. I wished it would have come with the standard spoon clip like the Paysan which I love. Casey Lynch should be dropping his clip for the Drunken any day now, which is going to make a lot of people wish they picked one up before they were discontinued. The knife itself is simply amazing other than the clip.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJsyRpDr/IMG-4050.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKGyzkjx/IMG-4049.jpg
The Drunken has not been discontinued yet but the Paysan was discontinued this year.

I’m curious, what is it about the Drunken clip that you personally don’t like?
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

It is a premium one that is different. If you are impress with the Paysan, the Drunken will do the same especially if you got a great price. The milling is something to admire. The sheepfoot blade is very versatile as well. The clip is the downside, catches and nicks stuff. Scratches the anodizing off too.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Nice blade shape.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:03 pm
Dazen wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:29 pm

https://i.postimg.cc/XJsyRpDr/IMG-4050.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKGyzkjx/IMG-4049.jpg
The Drunken has not been discontinued yet but the Paysan was discontinued this year.

I’m curious, what is it about the Drunken clip that you personally don’t like?

My bad, I thought it was discontinued, but that’s great news for those on the fence. I have to say the action on the Drunken is the best of any Spyderco I own!

The clip just sucks, I guess you can say it’s flimsy and almost impossible to get onto any pocket. I think it comes down to the ramp, it’s too shallow and sharp to properly glide onto the pocket. I thought the A Purvis clip would work better but it shifts way too much. I’m really hoping Casey nails the clip he is coming out with.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Post by vivi »

To me?

**** no.

I can get 4 Pacific Salts and a 12 pack for less than the price of a single Drunken.

BUT, maybe you value the design characteristics of the Drunken enough to pay $550 for one. If so, more power to you.

Wouldn't be the knife I'd spend my money on, but everyone is different.
:unicorn
ramblinwreck

Post by ramblinwreck »

vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:06 am
To me?

**** no.

I can get 4 Pacific Salts and a 12 pack for less than the price of a single Drunken.

BUT, maybe you value the design characteristics of the Drunken enough to pay $550 for one. If so, more power to you.

If you read my post, I didn’t pay $550. I paid two hundred less for a new knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ramblinwreck wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:54 am
vivi wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:06 am
To me?

**** no.

If you read my post, I didn’t pay $550. I paid two hundred less for a new knife.
Thats an awesome deal for a really great knife!
kobold

Post by kobold »

It def. is, for the price you paid!
But at the regular price, plus all the additional taxes here in the EU, I am happy w my SpydieChef.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10