Manix Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Noctivaga

Manix Lightweight

Post by Noctivaga »

Hello fellow forum members. I am new to the Forum and currently own 2 Spydercos and wanting to get more. I currently have a Manix 2 in S30V and am considering getting a Manix lightweight to use on camping activities, so wittling, coardage cutting, food prep and other such tasks appropiate for a folder.

Based on the nature of the work and the environment (true 4 seasons Canada with humid summers) I am ruling out the Maxamet version. I am affraid of chipping on the S110V unless you can convince me otherwise so that leave me with BD1N or SPY 27. Is the SPY 27 worth the extra $60 premium and if so why?
Noctivaga

Manix 2 S30V G-10, Spyker
TazKristi

Re: Manix Lightweight

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Noctivaga:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Noctivaga wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:30 pm
... tasks appropiate for a folder.
S110V should be very good for that. Do you have a good sharpening/touchup system?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have the SPY27 versison and use BD1N in other models. I do not think it is worth $60 more just for the steel attributes alone. I think it is a really cool project that Spyderco has a prorpierty steel with Crucible, but it is not going to perform $60 better if that is what you are asking. I prefer SPY27 of the two and along with Cruwear it is one of my preferred steels on my knives. My personal unscientific experience is that it holds up better at the edge.

If you are ok with the pinned version of the LW and not the newer screwed construction, National Knives has a sale on the SPY27 version.
https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco ... cp-handle/

Or you could continue to hold out for the Salt LW model. But that one has not been officially announced, so my guess the earliest we would see it would be Summer of 2024. At the earliest.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have both and, like JSumm, don't really see much of a functional difference between SPY27 and BD1N. I think either would be fine for what you're planning on using it for
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Noctivaga wrote:
Hello fellow forum members. I am new to the Forum and currently own 2 Spydercos and wanting to get more. I currently have a Manix 2 in S30V and am considering getting a Manix lightweight to use on camping activities, so wittling, coardage cutting, food prep and other such tasks appropiate for a folder.

Based on the nature of the work and the environment (true 4 seasons Canada with humid summers) I am ruling out the Maxamet version. I am affraid of chipping on the S110V unless you can convince me otherwise so that leave me with BD1N or SPY 27. Is the SPY 27 worth the extra $60 premium and if so why?
Hi there, welcome to the forum. I can't comment on the spy27, but the BD1N is a good steel and is easy to sharpen to a nice edge. My Manix 2 LW with BD1N is fast becoming my "go to" utility knife and would be a great tool to have when hiking or camping.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have BD1 and SPY27. You can't go wrong and the light weight will be perfect for what you want to do with it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome!

given your proposed usage, i would personally wait for the magnacut manix lw salt. in the meantime, i'd get a plain edge pacific salt 2 (or salt 2 if the pac salt is too big for you). it would be a really great lw outdoor knife that you'll probably still want to use even after getting the manix salt down the line.

if you're dead set on a manix lw, the spy27 might not provide a significant advantage over the bd1n, but that bright blue frcp handle might save you from losing the knife if you set it down in the outdoors. that's at least something to consider.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

Noctivaga wrote:

Best bang for buck is going to be the BD1N model and unless you really carefully study the edge retention then I would not expect to find much difference between the two in actual use. You might actually notice a difference in stain resistance as I may recall the SPY27 behaves quite well there and the BD1N may get light surface rust if left wet short periods.
Noctivaga

Post by Noctivaga »

Thank you all for the input and the warm welcomes.

I run a KME for sharpening and touch ups so not the best but not the worst system. The colour of the SPY27 scales was indeed interesting to me for the stated reason of having pop against most environments.

A magnacut Manix would indeed be a great option!
Noctivaga

Manix 2 S30V G-10, Spyker
vivi

Post by vivi »

Like Ladybug mentioned, the Pacific Salt is pretty much perfect for this role.

Compared to the Manix LW its lighter, has more cutting edge, is 100% rust proof, a bit easier to sharpen, has a bigger handle to accomodate larger hand sizes, and is tougher overall. Especially the H1/H2 version.

The Manix LW is a very nice knife and the BD1N version would fill this role just fine. Spy27 is a great steel but BDN1 will do the job.
:unicorn
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I do not have the spy27 but i use a bd1n at work because i do not care if that one gets damaged or something. And i can say the steel is more then good enough for youre wishes.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

You wrote that you already have a Manix 2 (not light weight) with S30V steel, which leaves me wondering...
Why not just use the one you already have?

u.w.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

No way the Spy27 upgrade from BD1n is worth $60.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

1.) I third the recommendation to get a Pac Salt!
Since food prep appearantly is part of the tasks it should perform I'd go LC200N (and not H2) for the ffg and tapering of the blade (thinner towards the tip).
And I personally would take the SE version. Works great in many food prep tasks (bread, tomatoes...) and for cutting cordage anyway, and the steep chisel grind makes for really good "rougher" whittling.

2.) The Manix 2 LW IS a great folder though indeed... actually after a recent "purge" the only non backlock Spydie I still have.
In my case the REX45 (a sprint, no longer in production), but I also had two of the BD1N versions and honestly was very positively surprised by that steel. The relation how extremely easy and quick it is to sharpen to how decently it still holds an edge was great in my use (no scientific testing at all though, just subjective impression).

Can't weigh in on Spy27, but from what I read it must be a very good and very well balanced steel.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Can only speak for the s110v lw version. I've never been worried about chipping, and never had that experience. I had a great deal on it years ago.
:bug-red-white 37 Spydies and counting :winking-tongue
:bug-red-white 17 different steels and counting :winking-tongue

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I wouldn't feel compromised in any way with BD1N. I think it is a great blade steel, and affordable.
I haven't yet had a SPY27 knife, unfortunately.
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

Welcome Noctivaga,
I have both BD1N & SPY27 steels in Manix 2 LW; however, I don't see a noticeable difference when using either. Given your intended uses why not consider the Manix 2 LW in BD1N especially at a cheaper price? I find BD1N easy enough for even me to sharpen. I live on the humid Gulf coast and my Manix 2 LW BD1N tolerates the humidity & my sweating well...all the while performing well in the garden (e.g., removing vine fruit) & doing other small-medium cutting jobs in my yard. An occasional dot of oil on the BD1N blade wiped with a clean rag seems to thwart rust development. SPY27 may be a bit more rust resistant though...but is that worth the difference in price?
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Welcome to the forum Noctivaga, I can only vouch for the BD1N blacked out version as I don’t own any Spy27 yet…I carry it all the time IWB any season and have yet to see any rust but I use edci and take care of it after use…my advice would be to get a Salt…Pacific, Salt 2 or Native 5 and wait for the Manix lw Salt to come out unless you’re dead set on a Manix lw right now…Salts are totally worry free and lightweight 🤔
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For basic use, BD1N should work well. I really like SPY27 but if you want to save money, stick to BD1N and you'll be just fine.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035