K390 Leafjumper or stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mreagan

K390 Leafjumper or stretch

Post by mreagan »

Hello,

After picking up a PS in LC200, I forgot how much I love FRN and a contoured grip. Looking for some thoughts on the LeafJumper vs Stretch in K390. Both are close in size with FRN. Looking at thoughts for an EDC. The stretch looks almost exactly like a PM2 but with backlock and FRN, not sure how the Leafjumper would compare grip wise. Thoughts, comments are welcome. Thanks.

Matt
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Coastal

Re: K390 Leafjumper or stretch

Post by Coastal »

The Leafjumper works really well for a lot of people, but not for me. On the other hand the Stretch 2 feels great to me, one of Spyderco's best, and also works well for a lot of people. The only Spydie that feels better is the Stretch 2 XL which, for me, would be hard to improve on. All that said, most Spyderco knives feel at least good.

With all the hype about how great the Jumper knives are, I'd like to hear others' opinions comparing them to the Stretch, since it has a great reputation for comfort also. Interesting question.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

They are close in size ? I was sure the Stretch 2 K390 had a good bit more blade !
I'll check that, a leaf shape K390 blade is a concept that I like.

To help answer your question, I'd say go for the blade shape you prefer, or the one you'll find most useful :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hey Matt,

I had a Rockjumper (which has the exact same handle as the Leafjumper, just a wharnie blade) and two Stretch 2s, one of those exactly like the K390 Stretch (straight spine), just in VG10.
Also still have several Stretch 1s (disco´ed) and a Stretch XL - love those!

My thoughts and 2 cents:

- Leaf Jumper is a smaller and lighter knife than the Stretch: Especially in carry (a lot shorter in pocket, weight), but also in blade length, not much, but still also in cutting edge length. Meaning: Less grip options on the Leafjumper (no choil), less reach, less clearance for the hand when cutting on a board. All not necessarily negatives, just saying, depends on what you´re doing with the knife.
The LeafJumoer also carries a bit deeper, if you care for that.

- Both have great ergos, but to me Leafjumper even better ergos behind the choil:, seems to support my index finger even better there and enhance control. Very subjectice and depending on "hand geometry" and how one grips and uses a folder.

- Leafjumper has a continuous curve in the edge, Stretch a long totally straight edge section before the belly:
Almost no one mentions or seems to care for that difference, I happen to do so and prefer that long, straight edge section of the Stretch. It is rare in Spydercos (that are not wharnies) and in my use transfers power better (just like a wharnie) when for example whittling (less likely to glance of).
Actually that totally straight edge section is one of the main features I really like in all Stretch variants.

Minor difference: Stretch features a boye dent, Leafjumper not: Makes no difference to me personally, the lack of a boye dent in a backlock can mean that the blade gets slightly "unlocked" / a bit loose/rattly when gripping the knife very hard, I found that NOT to be the case though with my RockJumper

Conclusion

- For ease of carry I´d go Leafjumper:
Shorter, smaller package, lighter, carries a bit deeper, but still not too deep.
And is certainly still an amazing performer with presumably an a bit stronger tip than the straight spine Stretch

- For frequent use and most all around capability I´d go Stretch:
Longer blade and edge, more reach (which for example also means the pivot is easier to keep clean), two very good grip options to alternate between in for example prolongued use, to me (!) better "edge geometry" (you know, that long straight section in the edge).
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I think you’ll find the leaf shape blade a little bit more versatile and effective in edc use. I would say these are both harder use/outdoorsman level pocket knives but their biggest difference being the stretch models blade is designed to have a hunting knife specialty (having a lot of belly just below the tip for effectiveness at skinning and whatnot) as the model dates back to being apart of the C03 hunter family.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:36 pm
They are close in size ? I was sure the Stretch 2 K390 had a good bit more blade !
I'll check that, a leaf shape K390 blade is a concept that I like.

To help answer your question, I'd say go for the blade shape you prefer, or the one you'll find most useful :open-grin

The Stretch is indeed a larger knife overall to me too (see also my post above)... in handle length for example the Leafjumper (191 mm) is closer to a Delica (182 mm) than to a Stretch 2 (207 mm)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Both have great handles and blades, but the Leafjumper metaphorically edges out the Stretch in a few key ways for me.

I prefer the straighter edge and lower tip of the leaf blade, the choiless or “Handle Forward” design, as well as the deeper carry and better feeling (for me) pocket clip position.
Pulling the handle forward to take the place of a choil also makes the main grip area bigger. This makes more grips available and comfortable to use for me.

It’s not a Stretch 2, but I have a Hap40 Stretch 1 to compare. I think the LeafJumper and Stretch are different enough to not actually be redundant.

I personally find the Stretch XL more attractive than the Stretch 2.

rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:15 am
I prefer the straighter edge and lower tip of the leaf blade...
No offense, but this I don't understand- ?!

As I've pointed out several times and in my post above again:
One of the defining features of the Stretch for me personally is exactly that long, completely straight section in the edge while most other (non wharnie) Spydies have a more or less continuously curved edge, and especially the leaf blades.

So probably I misunderstand when you say "straighter edge of the leaf blade"?
Probably you mean that the Stretch belly rises more pronounced towards the tip (actually partly because the edge before that belly is completely straight and not curved) - ?
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

I have have and love both, but unless the extra blade/edge length of the Stretch 2 is something you need, I’d go with the LJ. It’s a Goldilocks knife IMO, everything is just right.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:03 am
I have have and love both, but unless the extra blade/edge length of the Stretch 2 is something you need, I’d go with the LJ. It’s a Goldilocks knife IMO, everything is just right.
DITTO ⬆️ 👊
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:03 am

I have totally accepted it, I am not complaining, but still just would love to see a Leaf Jumper with the longer blade the handle could house. This would mean the current Leafjumper, everything exactly the same, but with a cutting edge length of the Stretch 2 or even PM2... then it would be a real Goldilocks knife for me too!

/ As I´ve said above: To me personally the bigger size of the Stretch makes not only a difference concerning the longer blade/edge, but also the additional grip option the choil offers. In typical, short EDC tasks not a ton of difference, but when one is looking at prolongued and most versatile use, the longer grip area (including the choil) and additional grip option (due to the choil CAN make a difference:
- Better leverage in some tasks
- In prolongued use switching between different grips is kind of comfortable and less tiring for the hand
- Light hacking better with a longer grip
- Hand and pivot can be kept further away from gunky, hot... matter that gets cut
- Better clearance for the hand and better "cutting angle" when cutting on a surface with a longer grip area (and blade)
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:15 am
I prefer the straighter edge and lower tip of the leaf blade...
No offense, but this I don't understand- ?!

As I've pointed out several times and in my post above again:
One of the defining features of the Stretch for me personally is exactly that long, completely straight section in the edge while most other (non wharnie) Spydies have a more or less continuously curved edge, and especially the leaf blades.

So probably I misunderstand when you say "straighter edge of the leaf blade"?
Probably you mean that the Stretch belly rises more pronounced towards the tip (actually partly because the edge before that belly is completely straight and not curved) - ?
No worries!
I do mean that the Leaf edge has a less abrupt curve and a lower tip, as you describe.
To me, that makes it straighter overall, even if the Stretch does have a straight segment.

In my use, it’s about the leverage maintained along the blade in cutting, especially with pull cuts while reaching out with the arm.
I appreciate the straight section of edge on the Stretch for this reason.
However, its purposefully designed belly and higher tip mean I eventually lose some leverage right around or even a little before where the tip of Leafjumper would be.

The leaf shape maintains a more consistent pull up to the tip that, in my opinion and experience, results in slightly more reliable pull cutting.
Even though it is a constant curve, the edge starts with a slight cant or negative angle that is advantageous for pull cutting.
The Leaf blade’s curve is as pronounced as I’d still consider ideal, though.

To me, the Stretch’s straight section and its own slight negative angle does somewhat make up for its higher tip and steeper curve. It is better than if it hypothetically had no negative blade angle and a continuous curve up to the same tip height.

The edges I have that I like better are the SE Sheepsfoot Caribbean, SE Rockjumper, and Rescue ClipiTooL.

Honestly, the difference between the two blades of relevance is not that great. I just feel the Leafjumper has nothing “extra” (for me).
Just enough of what I like and need for it’s size.

Most Spydercos don’t have too high tips or too much belly, though. They usually have a good enough balance of characteristics to be useful for me.

I don’t disagree that it would be nice if a little more edge was squeezed into the available space in the Leafjumper.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I haven't used my leafjumper enough to say it's better than the stretch. The blade shape on the LJ doesn't flow as good imo as the stretch does. Kinda reminds me of the spyderco cat blade shape just enlarged. So far I've had no issues with the cutting I've done on the factory edge. Usually I judge knives when they are more dull bcuz it requires more effort into cutting chores and I can better identify the subtle nuances. And over the next 8 edges analyze how that affects my overall perception of a model design. I'm currently comparing it to the endela In my own carry and I seem to like it more.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:07 am
I'm currently comparing it to the endela In my own carry and I seem to like it more.
Are you saying the Stretch is better than the Endela (and you aren't sure about the LJ's characteristics yet)? The wording left me slightly confused.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Stretch probably has the most comfortable handle but I think choil‘s are unnecessary on middle size knives. It is very much a PM2 lock back with FRN scales

I have an LJ and I really like it. I also have an RJ and don’t like it nearly as much and I can’t explain why. I like the Delica warrnie very much.

Endela is probably my favorite, but the LJ is catching up

I own all three in K390. The stretch would be the best general purpose, camping/survival type ( do to the belly). But otherwise it is a distant third to the other two for how I use a folder. (cutting in space, etc..). Actual edge length is very similar on all 3. Good Luck
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:30 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:07 am
I'm currently comparing it to the endela In my own carry and I seem to like it more.
Are you saying the Stretch is better than the Endela (and you aren't sure about the LJ's characteristics yet)? The wording left me slightly confused.
I really like the ergos of the stretch 2. Well balanced in hand imo. At the summer sale I bought a k390 leaf jumper and a serrated vg10 endela. At glance the LJ has better ergos but the blade shape didn't stand out to me. The Endela has a better blade shape over the LJ just based on pictures. I wanted to compare both to see which one I liked better ergos or blade shape. The LJ I got from rivers edge took over 2 weeks to show up so I worked thru a few edges on the endela. I feel the LJ and the endela are comparable in overall size, the goldilocks zone. With the endela I feel removing the pocket clip will improve the overall feel in hand during use. Now I've not put enough mileage on the LJ to confidently say I like it better but it's leaning that direction.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20230729_104310_Gallery.jpg
Comparison shot of the LJ, endela, and stretch 2.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I was going to post some comparison pics as well but Steeltoez are probably sufficient. I've pointed out before the LJ/RJ's handle is essentially the same as the Stretch if you were to cut off the the choil section. There are some minor differences that do marginally affect the feel but really substantially the same from the point/guard area on down. I loved the RJ. Thought I'd love the LJ. I like it but don't find the leaf shape blade anywhere as aesthetically pleasing to my eye as either version of the Stretch blade. But it's a great design nonetheless and really is at a sweet spot for me size and utility wise. Just not going to win any beauty contests. YMMV
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Here is another comparison shot , included a a PM2 . Sorry only have the RJ . Stretch2 is most comfortable for me , but others do very well . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kobold

Post by kobold »

"The stretch looks almost exactly like a PM2 but with backlock and FRN"

Yes, that is why I find it awesome as well. I love the K390 SSS and I use it as my backyard grill knife atm.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10