KnifeJoy Manix 2 Disappointment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Striple765Rider

KnifeJoy Manix 2 Disappointment

Post by Striple765Rider »

So I got my KnifeJoy exclusive Manix 2 in neon green/20CV yesterday and I gotta say I was highly disappointed. I was expecting the bright neon green (almost yellow) that they have pasted all over their site and the knife I received was a kermit the frog green. The other problem I had is that it was extremely dull which surprised me the most because I've collected Spderco's for years now and I've never had one that didn't come razor sharp. This one I can legitimately run my finger pads back and forth along the edge and there's zero bite at all other than about the last 1/8" of the tip. It won't even slice printer paper cleanly. Even using a slicing motion it wants to roll the paper over and if it does bite in it almost immediately starts to just tear it. It's almost like the edge doesn't form an actual apex.
The sharpness honestly isn't a huge issue, just surprising, because I usually only lightly use the factory edge a little bit before throwing it on my Edge Pro and putting a real nasty edge on it. I'm honestly more upset about the ugly color compared to what I was expecting. I've never had any other KJ exclusives so I don't know if this really is the "normal" color for them. I know every picture I've seen of any of the models like the PM2 and PM3 they're always the same very bright neon green and almost a yellow.
I'm not even really a huge fan of the Manix although I do have the Mint/M4 Blade HQ exclusive and a run of the mill S30V/Black G10 version. I was mainly wanting this to add to my small collection of exclusives and sprint runs that I have so far.
Did anybody else receive a very very dull Manix from this run? Maybe mine was the lone wolf or maybe their was a small batch of them that didn't get a final finish? I'm still a HUGE of Spyderco and will continue to buy as many as my small budget will allow. I have to go to Denver in about 6-8 months for two weeks and my number one "must do" thing is go to the factory outlet and hopefully see and meet Sal and/or Eric. That would a bucket list thing for me for sure. I just wanted to share my experience and see if anybody else had this issue. I'm LOVING my 15V mule and I even made my own OD canvas micarta scales for it.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
riclaw

Re: KnifeJoy Manix 2 Disappointment

Post by riclaw »

I only have the Para3 KJ exclusive so far. I'd call it a lime green more than neon. It's in no way a fluorescent "safety" green as I've seen others describe. Visit the Hogue, VZ or LOK Grips websites to see other examples of neon/lime/zombie green G10.

Personally, I love the color. When combined with a satin stainless steel it's such a great combo.
- Richard
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Is returning or sharpening it not an option?
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

I believe the image white balance was incorrect and displayed a brighter color due to the saturated image. I came to this conclusion after seeing other images of the para 3. I was hoping for a florescent green rather than a lime green. If I'm going to buy a bright knife, might as well go all out. I'd definitely pull the trigger if they make a neon yellow version. I have purchased other spyderco 20cv knives from them in the past and they came quite sharp. However, the sharpness of the edge isn't a big selling point to me because an edge that sharp does not last long and is easy to fix with a hand sharpener.
Striple765Rider

Hopsbreath wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:05 pm
I’m not sure if it is or not. The sharpening I could just do myself easily but I’m more bummed about the color because it looks nothing like their pictures show. I’m probably just going to get rid of it anyway to fund a Military 2. So I’m not going to touch it because I know a lot of the collectors don’t want them touched or anything done to them even something as simple as sharpening them.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

That’s weird, I was just browsing Spyderco’s site and looked under exclusives and their picture of it looks just like it really is and more of a Kermit the frog green. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I wish I would have seen that earlier because I would have never bought it.

-Dave
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

empathize with your disappointment of not receiving the color you thought it looked like. I think the photographer who did the Knifejoy promotional shots is at fault here. As a photographer myself, I believe that they did not use proper editing and white balance. I definitely thought the green was a bit overexposed on their photos, and in shooting product shots, always have a gray card or a neutral point of reference to get the proper white balance adjustment in post-processing.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:53 pm
So I got my KnifeJoy exclusive Manix 2 in neon green/20CV yesterday and I gotta say I was highly disappointed. I was expecting the bright neon green (almost yellow) that they have pasted all over their site and the knife I received was a kermit the frog green. The other problem I had is that it was extremely dull which surprised me the most because I've collected Spderco's for years now and I've never had one that didn't come razor sharp. This one I can legitimately run my finger pads back and forth along the edge and there's zero bite at all other than about the last 1/8" of the tip. It won't even slice printer paper cleanly. Even using a slicing motion it wants to roll the paper over and if it does bite in it almost immediately starts to just tear it. It's almost like the edge doesn't form an actual apex.
The sharpness honestly isn't a huge issue, just surprising, because I usually only lightly use the factory edge a little bit before throwing it on my Edge Pro and putting a real nasty edge on it. I'm honestly more upset about the ugly color compared to what I was expecting. I've never had any other KJ exclusives so I don't know if this really is the "normal" color for them. I know every picture I've seen of any of the models like the PM2 and PM3 they're always the same very bright neon green and almost a yellow.
I'm not even really a huge fan of the Manix although I do have the Mint/M4 Blade HQ exclusive and a run of the mill S30V/Black G10 version. I was mainly wanting this to add to my small collection of exclusives and sprint runs that I have so far.
Did anybody else receive a very very dull Manix from this run? Maybe mine was the lone wolf or maybe their was a small batch of them that didn't get a final finish? I'm still a HUGE of Spyderco and will continue to buy as many as my small budget will allow. I have to go to Denver in about 6-8 months for two weeks and my number one "must do" thing is go to the factory outlet and hopefully see and meet Sal and/or Eric. That would a bucket list thing for me for sure. I just wanted to share my experience and see if anybody else had this issue. I'm LOVING my 15V mule and I even made my own OD canvas micarta scales for it.
Give us a look.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Striple765Rider

IMG_7021-compressed.jpeg

-Dave
Striple765Rider

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:43 pm
empathize with your disappointment of not receiving the color you thought it looked like. I think the photographer who did the Knifejoy promotional shots is at fault here. As a photographer myself, I believe that they did not use proper editing and white balance. I definitely thought the green was a bit overexposed on their photos, and in shooting product shots, always have a gray card or a neutral point of reference to get the proper white balance adjustment in post-processing.

Yeah the color is definitely nothing against Spyderco. The edge was a big surprise and disappointment though but it is a production knife after all and mistakes do still happen even to the best companies.
I apologize for the delayed response’s guys. I’m still on new guy status here and my replies all have to be reviewed and approved.

-Dave
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Manix I received from KnifeJoy is sharp with no grind problems . Fit and finish same as my other Manix knives and color came as expected . To be honest the color has grown on me , usually I prefer darker warmer colors so it is out of the norm for me . Hope you resolve your issues . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea, you have to post a picture of this scale color in some natural light. Kind of tough to grasp that part of the post.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

Mine came as expected, no issues and was very sharp like every other spyderco I have ever bought.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Mine comes tomorrow…..it will be sharp….and it will be a glorious, cool shade of green.

It is written ☝️

Honestly, I’m expecting the exact same ‘green’ as on their other KJ Exclusives in PM2 and Para 3.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm glad you all like that green, but to me it looks like something I once threw up. :vomit
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:12 pm
I'm glad you all like that green, but to me it looks like something I once threw up. :vomit

Did you eat Kermit?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Mine came sharp as a razor. I quickly discarded the neon scales for something more sophisticated added a Flytanium Ti ball cage and Glow Rhino tritium lanyard hole plug. I think its a bit easier on the eyes.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Product photos are often pimped to look larger than life.
For a color way that’s never been done before, you’re left to luck, but in my experience sprint run and exclusive color ways seem to be consistent for the same material across different runs. So if the color hue is important it’s a good idea to look at customer photos of previous models based on the same theme.
And remember, even the most accurate image will only present correctly on a color calibrated screen. Most aren’t, and I guess for most product photos that are deliberately over saturated it isn’t so much to fool customers, but to avoid the color looking dull on screens with bad color presentation. There’s not much reason to think otherwise, given that Knife Joy has selected the color theme for their exclusives, I would assume they like the color as is and have little to gain on presenting it as something else.
If you look up pictures from a bunch of different sources, taken under different lighting conditions, viewed on a couple of different screens, you should begin to have a pretty good idea of the actual color you’re getting.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:05 pm
I would think both would be an option...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I happen to like that green, but yeah...

Blade hq's photo department has definitely given me a bad expectation vs reality hit. The frn light blue. (s90v) and frn mint green (m4) was way lighter in person than the photos.