Magnacut Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Emerson

Magnacut Shaman?

Post by Emerson »

I ended up finding a 15v Shaman at a decent price for my first Spyderco. I really like the design and was wondering if there was any rumors of a Shaman in Magnacut coming in the near future? I did a quick search and didn't find anything but I am new to this forum so I might have missed it.
sal

Re: Magnacut Shaman?

Post by sal »

Hi Emerson,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Emerson wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:31 pm
I ended up finding a 15v Shaman at a decent price for my first Spyderco. I really like the design and was wondering if there was any rumors of a Shaman in Magnacut coming in the near future? I did a quick search and didn't find anything but I am new to this forum so I might have missed it.
Stay tuned like all of us . Welcome to the Forum . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

Magnacut remains rather elusivefor now at Spyderco. I am going to make an unbased bold guess and say that since the Naive 5 is out the HT (and other details) was probably mostly figured out. I am expecting to see a lot more Magnacut from Spyderco eventually, but I do not expect miracles in the next 12 months.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I think Spyderco will not really jump on the magnacut hype train fully.
They will probably keep it for the Salt line most of the time. Maybe here and there a sprint or something.
I do not really see it in the Shaman soon.
But who knows Sal loves to suprise...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Emerson wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Along the lines of what Apollo said:

Not sure if Spyderco perhaps will reserve Magnacut strictly for real Salt knives (so pretty much completely rustproof).
And making a true "Salt" Shaman takes a lot more than "just" giving the current Shaman an MC blade..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Emerson wrote:
Hi Emerson, good to have ya here…15v Shaman is a heck of a first Spyderco!!! It’s a wait and see game, but I’m sure you’re not the only one wondering the same exact thing 👊
Emerson

Post by Emerson »

Thanks for the pleasant welcome and replies. Very different than the gun forums I'm used to. With Magnacut seeming to be a great middle ground between tough/edge retention and pretty much stainless. It sounds like a great steel for medium to hard use EDC and the Shaman design seems to fit that need too. Hopefully it's something they decide to do.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome!

sorry, but i really hope to see the manix first. it's time already.

i'm really confused about what's taken spyderco so long to get magnacut out. case has had magnacut flippers out for a while. apparently there's a magnacut ka-bar. this is the world we live in, where these companies that rarely stray from what works for them have released production models in a new steel before spyderco, who always push steel boundaries with new offerings. i don't get it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

I'm down for a magnacut shaman, but then again I just love the shaman so I'll take just about any combo you throw it out in. Shoot, throw some yellow scales on it and make it look like a pocket banana and I'd still buy it. LOL
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sign me up. Sign me up for 2 if it's also SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ladybug,

We've got and have had many projects in-the-works for some time. That's why we're expanding the Golden factory. Perhaps other companies had little, or little new projects in their pipelines? I'm sure you will see MagnaCut as well as other new steels coming out in Spyderco's offerings. Even's Shawn's recent versions in Spyderco's offerings had been in-the-works for quite some time.

We also spent a great deal of time testing and refining heat treat on the new steel with Larrin and Shawn to make sure we had it performing as good as it possibly can. I wonder if these other companies coming out with MagnaCut as quickly as possible have done as much?

For us, it's not about racing to get ... ..... ..... as much as it is giving our customers, you, what you expect of us.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rather have it slow and right than fast and wrong.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:09 pm
Rather have it slow and right than fast and wrong.
X2! :respect
- Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:58 pm
Hi Ladybug,

We've got and have had many projects in-the-works for some time. That's why we're expanding the Golden factory. Perhaps other companies had little, or little new projects in their pipelines? I'm sure you will see MagnaCut as well as other new steels coming out in Spyderco's offerings. Even's Shawn's recent versions in Spyderco's offerings had been in-the-works for quite some time.

We also spent a great deal of time testing and refining heat treat on the new steel with Larrin and Shawn to make sure we had it performing as good as it possibly can. I wonder if these other companies coming out with MagnaCut as quickly as possible have done as much?

For us, it's not about racing to get ... ..... ..... as much as it is giving our customers, you, what you expect of us.

sal
thanks for the response, sal. i know you guys are going to do it right and it's not a race. i look forward to your future magnacut releases. i've ben jonesing for that manix since you first mentioned it. it would be really cool if a gb2 could be a possibility too. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

As I've said a number of times - IN. A magnacut shaman would be at the top of my wants list, and that list is becoming rather short nowadays.
Sanpaku

Post by Sanpaku »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:41 pm
And making a true "Salt" Shaman takes a lot more than "just" giving the current Shaman an MC blade..
Look at the current lineup of "lightweight" models. As with the Native 5 LW, only the screws and clip must be changed to make a Salt version.

I suspect the next Spyderco model that will get a CPM MagnaCut blade is not the Shaman, but the Stretch LW. So we'll have a Native 5 Salt at 3", and a Stretch 2 Salt at 3.43-3.48". A caveat here is that the blade stock thickness on the Native 5 is the freedumb unit 1/8"/3.2mm, while the Stretch 2 is 0.118"/3mm. Can Crucible send 3mm stock to Japan? I think they can.
Collection: Kapara & Sage 2 in S30V, Stretch 2 & Dragonfly 2 in K390, (soon) UK Penknife Salt in MagnaCut
Wishlist: SpydieChef, Native 5 (S90V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sanpaku,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sanpaku wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Look at the current lineup of "lightweight" models. As with the Native 5 LW, only the screws and clip must be changed to make a Salt version.

Welcome to the forum!

True concerning the Native LW ( does it have washer or not btw? I don´t think so?).

But the Shaman is not a linerless LW model, so making it a true Salt takes a bit more.

They could probably transfer to the Shaman though what they learned from and developed for the Caribbean as being another G10 model with liners.
And there is the PM2 Salt already too (see here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94486&start=160#p1703721) - with liners and G10 as well.

I can also recall that somewhere in the "Amsterdam meet 23" thread Wouter mentioned that Eric would plan to bring out Salt versions of all Golden models eventually.

And there is a lightweight Shaman in the works (btw: Also a choil-less Shaman viewtopic.php?t=92280#p1618559), no idea though if this will be linerless (which would mean easier to get a Salt version) and/or in FRN.

So: There certainly is hope... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sanpaku wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I suspect the next Spyderco model that will get a CPM MagnaCut blade is not the Shaman, but the Stretch LW. So we'll have a Native 5 Salt at 3", and a Stretch 2 Salt at 3.43-3.48". A caveat here is that the blade stock thickness on the Native 5 is the freedumb unit 1/8"/3.2mm, while the Stretch 2 is 0.118"/3mm. Can Crucible send 3mm stock to Japan? I think they can.

I personally think out of the Stretch family they´d rather go with the XL, not the Stretch 2 for a Salt version - ?
Mostly because the XL has no liners and can basically be constructed like Salt 2, Pac Salt... so an approach Seki has a lot of experience with already (not so with linered Salt knives though).

Or do you mean they´ll make a linerless Stretch 2 Salt? Much like the Pac Salt 2 is for the most part a linerless, rustproof Endura 4?
If so, I figure it would be in LC200N, not MC?
...and I personally would hope for an Endela Salt instead of a Stretch 2 Salt in that size category, but that´s just me.
Both would be great as linerless Salt models, no doubt, and fill a gap in the Seki Salt lineup.