Spyderco filet knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Spyderco filet knife?

Post by jmj3esq »

Has the topic of a Spyderco filet knife ever been discussed? I use one quite often and would love a filet knife in my favorite brand.
Coastal

Re: Spyderco filet knife?

Post by Coastal »

Off and on. I think the consensus is that it's too easy to find excellent filet knives a lot cheaper than Spyderco could sell theirs for. I'm with you, though. I'd buy one.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Reoccurring topic for sure.
This is the last one that comes to mind:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94002
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The Phil Wilson collab mentioned in the above thread is the type thing that would get me on board. I've been using Rapala for over 50 years because they're practically free and I've never felt the need for anything better. Want, yes, like a Phil Wilson, but not need! If I caught larger and/or more fish, I would probably feel differently, but unfortunately I haven't had that good fortune.

I did buy the Dexter knife demonstrated above, but haven't used it yet.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wonder how well a Spyder Edge Pointed Z Cut would function as a fillet knife? Makes me wish that variant wasn’t discontinued.
- Nick :bug-red
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

It would be really nice to get another Spyderco Phil Wilson, a fillet knife with more edge retention with a premium steel would be amazing.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Would be my most cherished knife if it came to pass, but so far I'm turning blue in the face from pleading. Time for BBB to pick up the torch. :winking-tongue
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:10 am
Would be my most cherished knife if it came to pass, but so far I'm turning blue in the face from pleading. Time for BBB to pick up the torch. :winking-tongue
I really want another Phil Wilson knife, especially with some of the cool steels that are available.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I'll just keep hoping there is a Salt fillet knife somewhere in the pipeline. :beaming-face
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:49 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:10 am
I really want another Phil Wilson knife, especially with some of the cool steels that are available.
BBB, what would be your most preferred steel for a filet knife?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would be all for a resurgence of the Catcherman model. I always like the concept of a folding fillet knife. Buck I think was the first to try it but the Great Spyder Factory really perfected the concept with the Catcherman model. I'm actually surprised that the Catcherman didn't become a permanent model like the Endura, Delica, POLICE ect.

Every time I go fishing and take a couple of my Catcherman models along I never fail to get compliments from those who end up liking them. However when I tell them how much I paid for them they sort of cringe>> but they still like them none the less.

Or they could do a completely new folding fillet knife like a Catcherman 2 or something completely different.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I use this filet knife for my fish. It's a Bubba Blade 7" folding filet knife. The thing came razor sharp and I really like the design. It almost gives me Spyderco Carribean vibes (besides the color). I would love a design similar to the Carribean but with a longer handle and a 7" blade. I like the idea of a folder as it stashes away easily with my fishing gear.

It would be awesome to have the blade in LC200N for obvious reasons, but I don't know enough about the properties of the steel or whether it can be reduced very thin or withstand bending.

For now I'll keep dreaming.

jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I was recently able to purchase a brand new Spyderco Catcherman on ebay for a very reasonable price of $150. I had never seen or held one in hand until it arrived in the mail. I absolutely love the knife. What surprised me was the large size of the knife. Its a much better filet knife than I expected. Now its time for Spyderco to improve on this beauty. Its clear that a Spydie filet knife would sell, so why not? Im fine with the overall shape, blade, and size of the Catcherman, but it could be improved with Magnacut, LC200N, or something much more corrosion resistant. I think a more perfect filet knife would also have a thinner, more flexible, blade. I know they can do this, so why not? Lets go Spyderco, we need an improved filet knife. I have a feeling it's coming.

Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

---I was recently able to purchase a brand new Spyderco Catcherman on ebay for a very reasonable price of $150.----

It's nice that you like it.

But, it is not "brand new". It has a lot of wear and scratches from use. And you can see the uneven sharpening also. As well as the scratches on the serrations.

No Catcherman ever came in "aluminum or silver" color. Only yellow and black and green FRN.

https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... Catcherman
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Dude, your interpretation of this knife is way off. It is new and if you see anything you think is a scratch its only from my poor photo. There are actually NO scratches on this knife at all, it hasn't been sharpened and still has the factory edge. And I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "aluminum or silver" color. This knife has a flawless black FRN handle.

You could be no further from the truth on this one. Good try though.

I'm fairly new hear but not new in the subject and I see there are a LOT of "geniuses" around here who think they know everything. It is very off putting.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:50 am
Dude, your interpretation of this knife is way off. It is new and if you see anything you think is a scratch its only from my poor photo. There are actually NO scratches on this knife at all, it hasn't been sharpened and still has the factory edge. And I have no idea what you're talking about regarding "aluminum or silver" color. This knife has a flawless black FRN handle.

You could be no further from the truth on this one. Good try though.

I'm fairly new hear but not new in the subject and I see there are a LOT of "geniuses" around here who think they know everything. It is very off putting.
Can't even tell it's black FRN, but can tell it's not the factory edge...

IDK, looks great to me.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I assure you guys the edge hasn't been touched. Its simply a bad photo.

Here's a better photo. I don't know why im defending this Gem, but here you go. Its absolutely black FRN and has a factory edge. Is it just too unbelievable that I got a good deal on it?

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:13 am

I totally BELIEVE you man!!!👊 it’s hard to tell from photos sometimes…I once questioned a knife on eBay (just an inexpensive Victorinox) that the seller described as new in box… it looked like it’d been through our wood chipper…so I didn’t slam him and assume he was full of shi., instead I pleasantly messaged him and told him he either took some horrible photos or was trying to scam someone…he guaranteed the knife personally plus there’s an eBay one …anyway I took a chance because it was like $60 and it was in fact flawless…and you don’t have to defend yourself to ANYONE!!! You’re an attorney for cryin out loud👊👊👊
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I was pointing out that Ranger000 couldn't even tell the color of the handle but thought he could tell not only that it had been sharpened, but poorly sharpened.

Im trying to be on your side, here...
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:13 am

Here's a better photo. I don't know why im defending this Gem, but here you go. Its absolutely black FRN and has a factory edge. Is it just too unbelievable that I got a good deal on it?

Great photo btw…👍👊👏