Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
standy99

Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Post by standy99 »

So your just about to get your wish of having all your knives in the one steel of your choice…

What are you picking ??

I’m picking M4 as even though living tropical I can look after the corrosion and would enjoy the patina.

Know not everyone will want to play….but humour me
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Re: Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Post by Evil D »

MagnaCut 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not because it's the hot new flavor of the month, it's because it's the best average of qualities and least amount of compromise.

Honestly there are quite a few steels I could live with as a forever steel, there are almost no wrong answers here. I could print out one of those fancy steel charts that graph them all against each other and throw a dart into the middle and probably wouldn't be upset over where it landed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fireman

Re: Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Post by Fireman »

LC200N. I have not had enough experience with Magna Cut yet even though I have three knives in it.
I want tough and keeps an edge with being impervious to corrosion. Camp knives to kitchen knives, that’s my choice. Maybe Magna cut will replace it. I like Vanax more for the edge holding but I would not want to abuse it. Rex 45 has grown on me a lot. I prefer it to K390 but I get annoyed at corrosion
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I’d be happy with Cruwear for all of my knives. If we were just talking folders, I’d probably say K390.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I was initially going to answer CTS-XHP, but I realized the condition was one steel for all knives --and this includes my large choppers.

In such a case, I think I would have to go with M4 as well, at least until some company comes out with a production MagnaCut chopper for a fair price.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SRS15
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If we're talking ALL knives (folders, fixed, kitchen) large and small, I too would choose CPM-M4. It's my most owned steel in folders and I would love to have it for all fixed blades, my only concern would be corrosion in the kitchen but I don't think it would pose too large a problem.
So it goes.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Adamantium :winking-tongue

Z-max would be a hoot.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

MagnaCut
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Some great answers…..
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:30 am

Z-max would be a hoot.
That’s a lot of Z-max Mules :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

S30V or VG10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

REX 45 / HAP 40 for PE
VG10 for SE
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:35 am
Some great answers…..
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:30 am

Z-max would be a hoot.
That’s a lot of Z-max Mules :winking-tongue
It's okay, I work at the department of redundancy department. :zany
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

CruWear. I haven’t experienced Magnacut yet, but I’d say that would probably be my choice over CruWear in the future.

(Ps we need a pm2 in Magnacut)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Magnacut because it is a steel specifically designed for cutlery by a passionate Metallurgist and it more than meets my needs in a well balanced package.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Magnacut. Especially given:

https://youtu.be/bvPdb-n3__Q

I know there’s hype but its warranted: magnacut is a step function improvement in the underlying metallurgy.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Jim Malone wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:42 am
S30V or VG10.
Put me down for that as well
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:49 am
REX 45 / HAP 40 for PE
VG10 for SE

Anyone else here who has different answers on this for PE resp. SE?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Strauss95

Post by Strauss95 »

Probably K390, but have yet to try Magnacut. If it's as good as many claim it to be, it could surpass K390 as my favorite blade steel.