Wolfspyder 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Wolfspyder 2?

Post by cjk »

I ran across this:

https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Prod ... der-Knife/
www.raymears.com wrote: this knife is currently unavailable but will be revised with a slightly different specification and become available in 2023.

I'm wondering if it's going to be a wolfspyder 2?

Maybe the original design with different steel?

Here's hoping it's still forest green. :smiling-heart-eyes
Roefisher

Re: Wolfspyder 2?

Post by Roefisher »

I have the original. In fact, I bought two of the original as I loved the knife with it's green G-10 handle and Scandi grinded blade. But, if there is a new model coming coming, I think it needs to be nearly half as big again as the original.

While I really do like the WolfSpyder and enjoy carrying it, it's just too small to be practical for all the things I'd like to use it for so I hope if a new one comes along, it'll have around a four inch blade, while keeping the colour and grind.

I'm out for buying one but I would love to see this design reach it's full potential.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

that's exciting news! wolfspyder was my first 'good' pocket knife, my first spyderco, and remains my favorite. i have to assume the blade steel may change, as that would be the only big change i'd pick. curious about what other tweaks there may be. handle color should not be one of them, unless it's a slightly different shade of the same color (like the knifeworks one)

just saw the other post - personally, i see no need for it to be larger. i like it as a small knife, and the design concept as a 'backup' makes sense. if you're going to be doing heavy duty work, you'd be better off with a dedicated, full sized fixed blade, scandi grind or otherwise
Last edited by bleasure on Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was always curious about what happened to the original Wolfspyder. I can’t recall ever seeing it on a discontinued list but it seemingly disappeared. I hope there’s no design change and this is just a material update.
- Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be real interested in a larger version in a carbon steel, maybe 52100?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:52 pm
I was always curious about what happened to the original Wolfspyder. I can’t recall ever seeing it on a discontinued list but it seemingly disappeared. I hope there’s no design change and this is just a material update.
Since it was made as an exclusive for Ray Mears, it probably didn't appear on any discontinued list.

It was never intended to be a "folding bushcraft knife", it was an EDC pocketknife with bushcraft-style features that Ray found familiar and comfortable. A larger size would be nice for a folding bushcraft knife, but less so for an EDC pocketknife. Ditto with carbon steel, nice for bushcraft, less ao for carrying around.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I only hope that “ricasso” will disappear or at least be shortened and the blade and cutting edge will be longer. I agree with Yabla, this was meant to be an edc with potential for bushcraft so they should keep using a stainless steel… a tougher one maybe.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Mushroom wrote:
They’re still at SFO and available overseas.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I hope it looks cooler.

I know that sounds shallow, but man, do I hope that. I also hope the handle is even more comfortable, and perhaps made from Micarta. I also hope for a tool steel.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This is exciting news! The WolfSpyder has always been bit of a sleeper I think, but it's a really cool little knife. Ergos are pretty good for it's size, but I always wished it was a little larger.. here's hoping for an xl!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:41 pm
Mushroom wrote:
They’re still at SFO and available overseas.
Good to know they’re back! Thanks! They were absent at SFO the last couple times I’ve been, so I wasn’t sure if production had just stopped.
- Nick :bug-red
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I bought one a few years back from Ray's site when the exchange rate was favorable.

I like it, but it's also kinda weird. Two detents (maybe not two, but the compression lock is like no other compression lock out there) and really sluggish action. Plus the blade stock is THICK. So it's slow to draw and not slicey at all.

It's the only knife I've had to send back to Golden when I stripped the pivot reassembling it while trying to tune the action. Golden fixed it no charge, so I have to thank them for that.

All that being said, I still like it but more for it's unique characteristics. I just don't carry it that much mainly because of the extremely sluggish action. I guess I'm just used to compression locks flying open with a little thumb flick.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I have sorta wanted one of these, but never managed to pull the trigger. Forest green G-10 is my favorite scale material.

I thought they were only sold by raymears.com in the UK.
Usually when I looked at the raymears site, the exchange rate wasn't particularly favorable.
The shape was odd, but neat, but very right handed only.

I didn't know they were also sold by SFO, so that's an error on my part.

I do hope this is a steel change and maybe a hardware update. The pivot on these appears in pictures to be a Chicago screw setup rather than the screw on both side on most modern US made Spydercos. I would hope the pivot gets modernized.

I hope it does not get left hand clip holes. The design appears like it would be very difficult to operate left handed anyway.
I am right handed, but I am fortunate enough to also have a left hand. I'm pretty attached to being able to use it too.

Since Ray Mears is based in the UK, isn't a UK market locking EDC knife illegal to carry there? Maybe it wasn't when they first came out? I find this knife an odd choice for that particular market.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:54 pm
I hope it looks cooler.

I know that sounds shallow, but man, do I hope that.

As much as I prioritize form following function, I don't see anything wrong with also liking how the end result looks and I don't think it's impossible to have both.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

it's already one of the top 3 best/coolest looking knives across the entire catalog imo. the form is functional, i can say from experience, having used it to carve, cut, split and shave wood for years now, along with everything else a pocketknife is actually useful for, and i like that it looks like a sylvan blade. thick bladestock is ideal for its purposes, not only for overall strength, but for thumb leverage while carving.

strong detent is again, purposeful - slower to open means lower likelihood of an accidental opening, which is of value for a knife intended for slower, deliberate, often outdoors use, and being jostled around on hikes/in bags etc. and as this knife's purpose/design has nothing to do with imaginary alleyway fights, trying out for the guardian angels or being a ninja, being able to flick it open in a millisecond is of no comparative value that i can see. it takes me literally .5 seconds to go from pocket to locked open anyway, so i just don't see the problem and wouldn't lose the detent design.

on the other hand (womp womp) left handed folks being unable to use it as easily as righties is a design problem that definitely deserves addressing.

if these aren't your style, that's fair - the enzo birk might be a great choice instead, as it's larger, opens quickly, and is a really attractive grind with great handle options.
Ric

Post by Ric »

From the ergos this screams liner lock.
My thumb always searches for it but it's not there.
The compression lock with the 2 detent gives a poor action and needs a lot of wrist.

Mine gets no usage.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Although I'll stick to my guns about liking the idea of an XL version, the existing model is a really cool alternative to a traditional pocket knife. That's how I carry mine - clip removed and deep pocket carry.

Like some have noted the blade-swing action is weightier, more than any other Spyderco I've tried, but it's smooth and easy to open once you carry it for a while and get used to it. Another thing I'll say for it is that it's super strong... I've used mine many times for cutting hazel and blackthorn sticks at the river and the action is still perfect with zero play and it sharpens up a treat too with the Scandi grind.

It's a really good knife and I suppose any upgrade would be a welcome move. I can't see the new model being any bigger though, with the shop quoting "a slightly different specification" so it'll probably be the steel and maybe other minor changes.
Last edited by Roefisher on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Ric wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:10 am
From the ergos this screams liner lock.
My thumb always searches for it but it's not there.
The compression lock with the 2 detent gives a poor action and needs a lot of wrist.

Mine gets no usage.
Mine doesn't need any wrist, I use my thumb in the hole. Works fine. I too search for the liner lock every time I close it.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m interested to see what the different spec will end up being. I think it’s a neat knife overall and I’m glad Spyderco makes it.
Would love to try one someday.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Overall, I prefer the original WolfSpyder just the way it is. I like the size of the knife quite well, although it is a bit on the small side.

There are only three things I would change on the original design:

• Enlarge the Round Hole on the blade as much as the design will allow. Also, please leave the hole edge crisp vs. rounded. (My thumb typically slips off the hole when I'm trying to open the blade).

• Switch from Compression Lock to Liner Lock. As others have mentioned, my thumb ALWAYS looks for a liner lock tab to release when closing the blade.

• Switch from stamped pocket clip to a stonewashed wire clip.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal