Ranking Sprint Runs? Recent & Past models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Ranking Sprint Runs? Recent & Past models?

Post by JD Spydo »

My intentions for this thread are somewhat selfish in one respect. But on the other hand I really do want to know which specific Spyderco Sprint run the rest of you all might have liked the best over the past few years.

With the recent popular overnight success that this new C-60 Ayoob, Cruwear Sprint Run has enjoyed I've wondered where it might rank with some of the other successful Sprint Runs of the past few years? I've also liked Sprint Runs of the Dodo model along with some of the Military models in limited runs with exotic blade steels. But I'm not sure how those Sprint Runs ranked in the big picture

I've wondered if a certain Sprint Run model was based on the love you all had with specific models from different eras or just models the seemed to fill you own needs as far as your need for certain a "user blade"?

I don't recall any Sprint Run getting the immediate and widespread fanfare that this recent C-60 Ayoob ( Cruwear) model has enjoyed. But that may not be a fair evaluation simply because the model has been one of my personal favorites from years ago. But I truly do want to know which Sprint Runs you all liked the most and how they might compared with this newest C-60 Ayoob, Cruwear model?
ladybug93

Re: Ranking Sprint Runs? Recent & Past models?

Post by ladybug93 »

most of the sprints and exclusives seem to sell out quickly, so i'd call almost all of them very successful. i know there are some that i would've purchased if they weren't bhq m4 model, specifically the dodo. cruwear is one i was willing to try though, so the ayoob made the cut. pun intended.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:21 am
most of the sprints and exclusives seem to sell out quickly, so i'd call almost all of them very successful. i know there are some that i would've purchased if they weren't bhq m4 model, specifically the dodo. cruwear is one i was willing to try though, so the ayoob made the cut. pun intended.
Well that's interesting>> because you make it clear that there are two main motivations for obtaining one of Spyderco's Sprint Runs. First off you have the "collector apeal" in which you are betting that a certain model will indeed garner collector value over the years. Second you have your favorite model newly made with one of the recently proven Supersteel blades in which you are anxious to see the improved performance of a relatively new material.

I do think those are the two most common reasons people buy these Sprint Runs.

Which tells me that several factors are involved for ascertaining how a certain Sprint Run model ranks.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for sure. i wanted a dodo, but not in m4. if cs did a dodo in xhp and orange g10, i'd consider buying one, even though i don't have any desire for an orange handled knife. at the end of the day, it's model and steel choice vs price for me. other things i can learn to live with or change.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

For me it’s the PITS. It’s different than my other Spyderco knives. It hits a really good spot as far as size and weight. The m390 was a great choice, as was the stonewashed finish. Of the previous runs of this model, I feel this is definitely the best.

I know there has been a few that pointed out some rough edges, but it hasn’t bothered me. You really have to be inspecting the nooks and crannies to find any issues.

For me, it feels like a really well made tool knife. It’s made to be used, and it feels that way - in a good way.
PStone

Post by PStone »

For me I like the Phoenix Sprint most of the classic sprints. I know it’s not a hot seller, but it did get me the chance to obtain the model/design without having to shell out big bucks on the secondary. And that’s what I like about sprint runs of older models. I wasn’t around for the Golden Era, so sprints like the Phoenix and Ayoob give me the chance to own/use one, and experience a little bit of the age I missed.

Another classic model sprint worth mentioning for comparison to the Ayoob is the SuperBlue CalyJr. It was the first Sprint I tried and tried to get, but just couldn’t score one. I feel it was just as popular as this Ayoob has been. Maybe more so.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am fairly new to these runs but it is amazing to see what is hot. I still don't get the huge popularity of REC Avocado line. They are great knives, don't get me wrong but why would a REC PM2 w/204p sell out in minutes but the DLT PM2 w/S90V take hours to sell out? They are both good color combinations but the S90V is a better steel than 204p overall. I am also not sure why the BladeHQ M4 Shaman wont sell... maybe price... but people are paying $500 for a REC Shaman. I would think micarta and M4 in a big Shaman would be a great combo. Maybe a lot of this demand is flippers and what they can get on the secondary market from collectors.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
phaust

Post by phaust »

The Ayoob only has been popular on this forum I'd say. It gets little to no mention on other knife places (bladeforums, reddit, other groups). The post count differences in your threads on the Ayoob here vs Bladeforums goes to show that, and places that are much more popular/bigger like reddit, FB, IG have even less on it.

Core models like PM2s, Para3s, Shamans, and Manix 2s are the models that actually see widespread popularity. Those sprints and exclusives are at the highest level for sure.
Last edited by phaust on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

My favorite sprint runs or exclusives have been:
The S45VN diamond arc forest green G-10 sprint run Para 3s and Para Military 2s.

The Knifeworks 204P forest green G-10 exclusive Para 3s and Para Military 2s.
The Knifejoy 20CV Delica wharncliffe exclusive.
The satin blade Para Military 2 wharncliffe exclusives from the Cutlery Shoppe (preferably with the scales from one of the green PM2s above).

Yeah, I'm boring. I like wharncliffes and I like green. I initially wanted to buy a PITS, but talked myself out of it.
Last edited by cjk on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Ayoob has only been trickling in. If it were to be released in its full quantity at each dealer all at once like a lot of previous sprint runs seem to have happened, I'm willing to bet these would be sitting for a while. But naturally if a dealer is only getting 15 or so at a time, at this time...then yes it's going to sell like hot cakes. I think Joe is way overblowing the popularity of this knife and the way it sells when you look at the big picture.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:05 am
I am fairly new to these runs but it is amazing to see what is hot. I still don't get the huge popularity of REC Avocado line. They are great knives, don't get me wrong but why would a REC PM2 w/204p sell out in minutes but the DLT PM2 w/S90V take hours to sell out? They are both good color combinations but the S90V is a better steel than 204p overall. I am also not sure why the BladeHQ M4 Shaman wont sell... maybe price... but people are paying $500 for a REC Shaman. I would think micarta and M4 in a big Shaman would be a great combo. Maybe a lot of this demand is flippers and what they can get on the secondary market from collectors.
All of those knives are dealer exclusives, not sprint runs.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Only sprint I have ever bought was the PM2 M4 DLC coated blade in Jade.

Australian and most of the older Sprints were so hard to get back in the day as shipping from many places was not that easy or not done. Nowadays most shipped up to a year ago, but they are coming back slowly.

Would love a Para 3 in M4 though. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
jdw

Post by jdw »

The 52100 Military is hands down my favorite Sprint. It is is my favorite knife of any model or any brand and one of only two knives that I own a back up for.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

My Superblue Caly 3 and 52100 Military are the favorites I pressed into service. Great designs with carbon steels that get silly sharp, what’s not to love?! The Ayoob is making a strong contender though, it’s a wonderfully useful design with a steel I enjoy using.
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

My favorites, some oldies, but they need to return again!

Foliage green Rookie Sprint
Walker C22 CF sprint
Lum Tanto
Q, we really need another Q, this was a carry for me for many years, loved the size and weight.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Cru-carta Shaman was the most hyped Sprint (not talking dealer exclusives) of all time. It sold out within minutes or seconds at every dealer, and rose to >2x retail on the secondary market very quickly. It gave rise to Micarta as a factory folder scale material and now we are finally seeing more in the production PM2 and the Shaman exclusives. It paired perfectly with Cruwear in giving the Shaman a rugged folder look and feel by using a "tough" steel that was more appropriate for the stout blade. I imagine there are many more Micarta models coming down the line as well. Hopefully we see Cru-carta models out of Seki soon!

My personal favorite sprint would be the Orange H1 Spyderhawk though since I am not a huge fan of the Shaman model in general. The Spyderhawk needs to be brought back ASAP as a Spyderhawk 2 Salt SE.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a really subjective question, how do we measure best to worst? If it's popularity then for example I'd rank the new Ayoob over any iteration of the Para 2, but I'm sure most would disagree with me there. If sheer sales alone are it then there is probably a Para 2 variant that was made in a very small batch that sold out faster than any other version, despite people potentially liking other versions more that sold out slower just because they were made in larger batches. I suspect this will be a different answer for everyone.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

phaust wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:47 am
The Ayoob only has been popular on this forum I'd say. It gets little to no mention on other knife places (bladeforums, reddit, other groups). The post count differences in your threads on the Ayoob here vs Bladeforums goes to show that, and places that are much more popular/bigger like reddit, FB, IG have even less on it.

Core models like PM2s, Para3s, Shamans, and Manix 2s are the models that actually see widespread popularity. Those sprints and exclusives are at the highest level for sure.
I sort of understand what you're saying. But the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run seems to be selling like Superbowl tickets the past 3 to 4 weeks. So evidently the C-60, Cruwear Sprint Run has gotten a few people's attention it appears.

I started a thread over at Bladeforums a while back and I do need to go check on that one when I get time. But when I started a thread over there about 2 years ago talking about the C-60 model ( before the Sprint Run ever came about) I had quite a few people show interest at that time. However the bottom line is this>> The amount of hard core knife afis like ourselves is really not all that high when you look at the big picture. Albeit the C-60 Sprint Run does seem to be selling really well from what I can tell at least for the last 3 weeks or so.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jdw wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:12 am
The 52100 Military is hands down my favorite Sprint. It is is my favorite knife of any model or any brand and one of only two knives that I own a back up for.
And I distinctly remember that one selling pretty rapidly too. I like all the Military models with really great blade steels. Especially the M390.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:57 am
I truly do want to know which Sprint Runs you all liked the most and how they might compared with this newest C-60 Ayoob, Cruwear model?
I only have two sprints in my possession now: Manix 2 LW REX45 and Native 5 LW REX45. They're my favorite sprints because they're two useful designs paired with useful blade steel. The color was butt ugly, so they've been dyed to something with more pizzaz.

I had the HeavyWeight versions of those knives. In some ways they were better, but the bidirectional pattern trumps G10. They were never going to get used properly, so they had to go.

Asking me to compare them to the Ayoob wouldn't be fair, because the Ayoob doesn't excite me all that much.