USPS, UPS or Fedex ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ramonade

USPS, UPS or Fedex ?

Post by Ramonade »

Hi !
Just got an excellent deal on a Native 1 and a combo edge Native 2. The seller is in the U.S.A. and is asking me wich transporter I prefer.
I am familiar with USPS now since I've ordered a handful of time at the SFO or other websites using it.

But I'm pretty sure someone here can give me some advice on wich one is the best as to : Not losing the parcel ! and maybe prices, if there is such a thing as different prices to send from USA to France.

Thanks much !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Coastal

Re: USPS, UPS or Fedex ?

Post by Coastal »

In my experience, UPS and Fedex are a little quicker than USPS. USPS has never failed to deliver an order, but several times I've wondered if something was lost forever, only to have it turn up late. UPS and Fedex are usually more expensive, and are able to make it arrive really fast, if that's what you want. Honestly, I've had pretty good luck with all three.

Unfortunately, I have no experience sending to, or receiving from, France.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well this seller is very well known so I do not have any fear of him being deceptive.
I know USPS can be very weird, especially nowadays on the tracking side of things. The person said that the basic option he takes at USPS doesn't provide tracking, but he doesn't have to fill out customs forms. I can choose whatever service and options, but is it that expensive to add tracking with USPS ? In France it's either tracked anyway, or it's a couple USD kind of option.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I don’t know about international shipping, but stateside I just use whichever is convenient to me on that day… they all suck 😂
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I ship internationally with USPS Express quite often. I would not use regular priority mail for that. Express is much faster and more reliable. I have had good luck with Fedex as well, but have never used UPS for outbound (from USA) shipments. I regularly import (into the USA) items in the ~$3000 price range with UPS though, and have never had problems with that.

USPS Express has always been cheaper for me than UPS or Fedex, though.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Internationally I prefer DHL followed by FedEx
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

+1

DHL has been excellent when I’ve had occasion to use them for international shipping.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Don't use FedEx whatever ya do.
They just get worse and worse -
Use UPS or DHL.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Last year I ordered a knife from DLT, shipping to Germany was FedEx the faster option.
It was like (all Central European Summer Time): Wednesday 0830 pm press the 'buy' button, Wednesday 1000 pm parcel picked up by FedEx, Friday 1130 am parcel on my desk. 39 hours. That's ridiculous.
If I had ordered at the same time from a German vendor, the parcel wouldn't have been here before Saturday or even Monday.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I've had horrible experiences with UPS. Everyone makes mistakes, but UPS seems not to care about making good on them. That said, any shipper's performance could be a function of the competence of each local hub. Apparently, all three of them have some locations around the U.S. that are horrible, and some that work well. FedEx has been the best for me.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I usually have pretty good service in my area with UPS . FedEx has been really crappy . They delivered two packages to my front porch and sat for a week before picking up to take to correct address . My street address is East and another address with same number is West . Every package clearly has information on the label . This has happen several times over the years . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:46 am
I usually have pretty good service in my area with UPS . FedEx has been really crappy . They delivered two packages to my front porch and sat for a week before picking up to take to correct address . My street address is East and another address with same number is West . Every package clearly has information on the label . This has happen several times over the years . MG2
I hear ya Dan. My stuff has been stolen out the box by FedEx. And they don't even have their own FedEx trucks up here. It's people using their own cars with a FedEx placard on the vehicle. It's a different driver each time and none knkw where they are. And I only use FedEx when there is no other choice due to that's what the seller uses because they are so cheap.
UPS on the other hand has just been incredibly good
Same driver, same time, same great service.
And same Brown truck lol.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:24 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I hear ya Dan. My stuff has been stolen out the box by FedEx. And they don't even have their own FedEx trucks up here. It's people using their own cars with a FedEx placard on the vehicle. It's a different driver each time and none knkw where they are. And I only use FedEx when there is no other choice due to that's what the seller uses because they are so cheap.
UPS on the other hand has just been incredibly good
Same driver, same time, same great service.
And same Brown truck lol.
Out UPS driver is super , if he sees us toots horn and we go out to meet him . He also delivers to our side door which is safer for delivery, can’t be seen by the undesirables . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks for all the recollections of your experiences !
I think that, since I'm not in much of a hurry and USPS (while it sometimes takes more time than necessary) will get both Natives to my door.
I'm ok with paying between 30 and 40 USD for a "basic" shipping with tracking and a minimum insurance. I think the inter states shipping and international shipping are handled a bit differently for each company. But I agree in that a company's behavior, even if it's represented by their employees, tells much about their values !

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
My street address is East and another address with same number is West . Every package clearly has information on the label .
This same thing is a consistent issue for me with USPS delivery to my home, but not with Fedex or UPS. UPS sucks to my office, though (where USPS is good).
Sting

Post by Sting »

FedEx priority sent from Memphis to New Zealand in one week and one day, that was last week. Pretty happy with that.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Sting wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 am
FedEx priority sent from Memphis to New Zealand in one week and one day, that was last week. Pretty happy with that.
Well, that's a good performance indeed ! I've gotten a package from a forum member in Norway in 4 to 5 days (but the last day is tomorrow, the whole french postal service is on holiday including today).

I'm still waiting on the seller to go to USPS today and ship it, but I'll keep you updated on how it went. I think the option I told him to pick is something like 6 to 10 days. I hope to have it in less than 4 weeks :squinting-tongue

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 am
Sting wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:55 am
Well, that's a good performance indeed ! I've gotten a package from a forum member in Norway in 4 to 5 days (but the last day is tomorrow, the whole french postal service is on holiday including today).

I'm still waiting on the seller to go to USPS today and ship it, but I'll keep you updated on how it went. I think the option I told him to pick is something like 6 to 10 days. I hope to have it in less than 4 weeks :squinting-tongue
Robin , hope all goes well . Dan
Henry David Thoreau