Pacific 2 Linerless Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spinynorman

Pacific 2 Linerless Handles

Post by spinynorman »

Hello All -

I recently picked up a Pacific Salt 2, and noticed after I bought it that the handle scales do not have steel liners. I am guessing that they were eliminated either to reduce costs, reduce weight, or both. The knife is very lightweight for sure, but the blade is a little sticky opening and closing, as it's steel against plastic, and I like more heft in the feel of a knife.

As this is my first Salt knife, do any of the other Salt models, or the Pacific Salt 1, have steel liners? I was under the mistaken impression that the FRN handled knives all had them.

The difference in strength or rigidity might not be much, but I'd prefer to have a knife with liners over one without.

Thanks, Doug
Wartstein

Re: Pacific 2 Linerless Handles

Post by Wartstein »

Hey Doug,

The Seki Salt knives (Pacific, Atlantic, Salt 2, DFly Salt...) are all linerless and have always been as far as I know (actually Delica and Endura have been too in the past and DFly is anyway.

Native Salt: Also linerless

The Siren has linerless G10 scales (might feel more rigid than your Pac Salt, don't know)

The Carribean though does have liners

The Spydiechef as Titanium folder is technically linerless (?) I guess, or/but the handle is kind of "scales and liners in one".

If VG10 is rustproof enough for you (for me it is) and you want liners: Just go with an Endura 4 perhaps?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The liners were eliminated to prevent corrosion, not to reduce weight or cost. Well, it does reduce cost over using corrosion proof steel for the liners. They do have to meet a price point.
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you use it you will find your new knife does anything a knife with liners can do.
:unicorn
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:04 am
If you use it you will find your new knife does anything a knife with liners can do.
I am a fan of the linerless knives. All my purposeful outdoor activities are with the linerless family.

Caribbean is nice, but you pay for it in weight and in coin.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The catalog copy and the Spyderco website clearly specify that the handles of these knives are "linerless." If that's a personal concern, check for that term before you buy.

Stay safe,

Mike
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've been using a pacific salt for years. it's clipped to my waistband right now, actually. it's a wonderful knife, even without liners.

i will say that i also prefer knives with a more robust and hefty feel for general edc, but a super light and thin knife with teeth as a backup and emergency knife that i never have to worry about rusting is a very nice addition. don't give up on it. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I have linerless OG Pac Salt (PE) and Atlantic Salt (SE) knives. Use 'em hard, wipe clean or spray out with the hose when necessary. No fuss, no muss. 👍
The chain ring bolt clip is one of my favorite.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
benben

Post by benben »

Use it, it's a fantastic workhorse! I haven't broken mine and I've beat the snot out of it!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Doug , use it And I think you will see no liners are definitely not an issue . One of my favorite knives . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

My H1 Pac Salt 2 (just few days old now) was smooth right out of the box. Actually better than Maxamet Native 5 I had a chance to try briefly.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Look into an Endura, that should be the ticket for you. It's is the same size and similar blade shape, and has steel liners.
JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

I was skeptical about linerless folder too. I picked up a PacSalt 2 for a second knife for camping/kayaking, and I love it. I was also avoiding FRN. But I have no issues at all with fit and finish and it is more solid than I expected.

I got a Native Chief as well which is also linerless but G10 and it is a tank.
Take heed, dear heart, of this large privilege; The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge. — William Shakespeare
spinynorman

Post by spinynorman »

Very cool, thank you everyone!

And just to clarify, I didn't mean for this post about the linerless handles to come off as a complaint, or as questioning the quality of the knife or the brand. It was more of a design-oriented question of, "I've never seen this before, I wonder why they did that?", a curiosity borne out of my love of Spyderco knives, that began in 1991, with a new C03PE Hunter. The Pacific Salt 2 is Spyderco #15 in my collection of 100 or so knives. :grimace My EDC is currently a Gayle Bradley 2 in M4, and it's terrific.

I needed the Pacific 2 like I need a hole in my head, but I was drawn to it, and thought, "Ah, what the heck, what's one more." :beaming-face
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

spinynorman wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm

I needed the Pacific 2 like I need a hole in my head, but I was drawn to it, and thought, "Ah, what the heck, what's one more." :beaming-face
Just out of curiosity, which model did you get? LC200N or H1?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

spinynorman wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:12 pm
Very cool, thank you everyone!

And just to clarify, I didn't mean for this post about the linerless handles to come off as a complaint, or as questioning the quality of the knife or the brand. It was more of a design-oriented question of, "I've never seen this before, I wonder why they did that?", a curiosity borne out of my love of Spyderco knives, that began in 1991, with a new C03PE Hunter. The Pacific Salt 2 is Spyderco #15 in my collection of 100 or so knives. :grimace My EDC is currently a Gayle Bradley 2 in M4, and it's terrific.

Endura generations 1-3 were all linerless. More or less going back to their roots in a way with the Pacific Salt.
:unicorn