Standard production Tanto and Wharncliffe Para 2 and 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Co Pilot

Standard production Tanto and Wharncliffe Para 2 and 3

Post by Co Pilot »

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in these being part of the standard production line, especially in the "Has the Para 2 ship sailed?" thread. I think it's an excellent idea and Spyderco should do it as soon as they can. What do you think?
JRinFL

Re: Standard production Tanto and Wharncliffe Para 2 and 3

Post by JRinFL »

I’d support the wharnie with my dollars and while I have no need of the tanto, I’d support making it a production blade shape, in spirit at least.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:44 pm
I’d support the wharnie with my dollars and while I have no need of the tanto, I’d support making it a production blade shape, in spirit at least.
That was what I came to say.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Bumping this to see if we can generate some love for the idea.
BugBite84

Post by BugBite84 »

I would definitely get a couple pm2 wharnies, would be awesome to get this idea rollin.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Are there any alternate blade profiles for the Para 3 at present? I can't say I've ever seen any. I would like for there to be some.

I have seen the normal, wharncliffe, tanto, and emerson wave Para Military 2s.
I favor wharncliffes, but the PM2 wharncliffe really doesn't particularly appeal to me.

If there were to be a Para 3 wharncliffe, I'd really like to see @Michael Janich design the blade around the existing Para 3. I'd hope it would fit into the existing Para 3 handles (both G-10 and lightweight) without the need for any redesign. I'd find a just under 3 inch wharncliffe blade with a compression lock to be pretty sweet.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

I never understood why Spyderco allowed both blade types to be exclusives. I agree they should of been available for general release, and only allow certain blade steels as exclusive offerings.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A standard production Tanto would rekindle my interest in the PM2 Para3 platforms. I'd really like one in an interesting steel and color which we have not seen outside of a single run from BHQ.

Since the PM2 is exclusive to them, perhaps a Tanto design for the Para3 can be done? And kept in house so sprints/exclusive steels and colors are more readily accessible from more vendors.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

cjk wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:28 am
Are there any alternate blade profiles for the Para 3 at present? I can't say I've ever seen any. I would like for there to be some.

I have seen the normal, wharncliffe, tanto, and emerson wave Para Military 2s.
I favor wharncliffes, but the PM2 wharncliffe really doesn't particularly appeal to me.

If there were to be a Para 3 wharncliffe, I'd really like to see @Michael Janich design the blade around the existing Para 3. I'd hope it would fit into the existing Para 3 handles (both G-10 and lightweight) without the need for any redesign. I'd find a just under 3 inch wharncliffe blade with a compression lock to be pretty sweet.
I don't believe there are any alternate blade styles for the Para 3, not any exclusive ones. Perhaps leaving the Para 3 open to being made as a standard production model.
I for one would be happy with the blade profile on the Cutleryshoppe model on a Para 3, as well as a tanto. And of course some Para Military 2s, which can perhaps be done since CS and BladeHQ seem to have ended there distribution of these blade shapes?
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

The pm2 tanto is nice due to the blade weight (heavier). Would be nice to have unique oem scales for the pm2 tanto. Waiting and hoping for a pm3 tanto. Haven't tried the wharncliffe, next to try. We want them all! A little burnt out from the 4 purchased 2021 pm2 sprint runs, different blade steels and handles.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I've been waiting for a wharncliffe Para3 since the moment I saw the Paramilitary 2 wharncliffe.

That'd be an instant buy for me.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sitting in the cheap seats, I feel awkward telling Spyderco how to spend its money.

I will say, though, that I spent my money on a PM2 Tanto and it is pretty spectacular.

As built, the PM2 Tanto is also a Wharncliffe, that is until it ceases to be right at the obtuse angle toward the tip. That angle is killer. Beyond the obtuse angle, the upturned bevel can be forced into material you want to split, or slice further with the obtuse angle.

Having a Canis, I see no reason for me to buy a dedicated PM2 Wharnie.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I think both the blade styles offer advantages unique to themselves and which the standard blade doesn't. Which is why I would buy one of each, at least lol, and hope to see them in the regular line up.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This would definitely be a Sal question , there may be some constraints with the exclusives to prohibit the use of these blades in Spyderco regular production. I would be all in for either one to support those who have an interest . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I prefer the longer of the two in a Tanto blade, but I have to admit that I'd buy it for it's looks, and not because it offered some functionality that I would apply to some task. Not that that matters. It's a beautiful blade shape.

Spyderco has to limit the number of knives in production to get knives out. Now may not be the time for expansion.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

I'd go in for any tanto based on the PM2 designed one. Especially in a Military or the upcoming Military 2.
Eagle1*

Post by Eagle1* »

I am actually in for both the tanto and a wharncliffe para 3 knife. I have a wharny delica and really like that shape..
In God we trust, ALL others are checked through NCIC
bmstrong

Post by bmstrong »

Wharncliffe Para3 would get my money instantly.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Having a M4 Tanto PM2, it's a design I would buy again.
The extra weight of the blade is kinda nice.
I would be all over a Wharnie 2 or 3 as well.