Native 5 CF S90V fit and finish

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Native 5 CF S90V fit and finish

Post by Soanso McMasters »

01CCC9E5-2126-4D5D-B5B2-297AD61C5290.jpeg
532C3839-E545-47D8-969A-AD76F6219B2A.jpeg
3284D168-7B34-498E-BCE8-CE4967671BDF.jpeg
Just got my Fluted CF Native 5. You can see that there is an imperfection in the CF circled in red and the pin for the back lock is proud on one side and below flush on the other. Are these acceptable for this model? I wouldn’t think twice on a standard Native 5 but fit/finish/materials is what makes this one $100 more. The carbon fiber imperfection is mostly what I wanted to check on.

What say you fine folks? I have the option to return it.
Last edited by Soanso McMasters on Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Re: Native 5 CF S90V fit and finish

Post by SG89 »

Return it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I totally understand your dilemma, because I'm trying to make the same decision but for a different reason. I received an Autonomy 2 that looks fine and functions okay, but has a crunchy button. In my case, I don't know enough about the model to know if it's normal or not, so I don't know whether to accept it or return it (it could even be a benefit, being less likely to explosively deploy in my pocket, because I'm sure not going to carry it locked). In your case, you KNOW the imperfections aren't normal, and are deciding whether you can live with them.

If it were me, I would keep the knife, imperfections and all. I've done so, many times, with knives, fishing equipment, firearms, bicycles, furniture, etc. Premium mass produced items, even limited production runs, seldom meet my expectations (actually hopes) for fit and finish, and I almost always just accept it. I'd go crazy otherwise.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm usually not very picky but considering the price I'd probably send it back. That's providing the little imperfection looks the same in person as it does in the pic. I know how phone camera's can make things like this look worse than it actually is. Whether or not I'd send it back would also depend on availability of a replacement
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The pin on the back lock of mine is slightly proud as well. Honestly didn't notice it until this thread made me re-examine. The pin doesn't/wouldn't bother me. That gap.... really depends on your OCD. Thankfully mine doesn't have one of those, but I feel for you and your dilemma. It's such a fantastic knife, I would be loath to give it up. Hard not to reach for it every day quite frankly.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If it's gonna be a safe queen, send it back. If it's a user, use it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

My one has a chip in the CF similar to yours but I did get it secondhand for a good price. I’ve just been using it very happily tho. Its one of my favourites despite the visual defect. The contours as well as the s90v makes it amazing. I do hope to try out a FRN native at some point as the humpless design works great for me. If the CF model ever gets discontinued I will get me a spare.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Exchange, yes; Refund, no.
So it goes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since it's my most prized model, and even if I use it, I'd call the dealer and explain. Most dealers would accept an exchange if they have the stock and the knife came in anything but perfect.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:13 pm
Exchange, yes; Refund, no.
This ^

Do it now while they are still available.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Magnified imperfections seem bigger than they are.

That is, except when they occur on your own Spydie, then they’re even bigger.

That is, unless you have truly embraced the fact that Spyderco mass-produces mass-produced stuff (unlike a custom maker), then you marvel at how few and slight Spyderco’s imperfections actually are, and live happily with what you got.

I haven’t quite made it to the comfort zone yet, but I’m trying.

And, fortunately, I can’t check my S90V Native5 at the moment. Otherwise, I, too, would probably nitpick it and come away thinking I have something less than what I do.

Don’t let perfect be an enemy of the good, as many people over many years have reminded me.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Soanso McMasters

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I appreciate it!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I wonder what Spyderco's warranty department would say about that? I'm thinking they'd say it's within specs...
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Soanso McMasters

RamZar wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:30 pm
I wonder what Spyderco's warranty department would say about that? I'm thinking they'd say it's within specs...
Perhaps so. One reason I was asking was because, for example, LW Para 3s come off center. It’s just normal. Are imperfections in CF considered normal? Maybe sal will weigh in.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ultimately it’s your call , if you aren’t happy return or live with it. Flaws bug me too , but usually depends what it is and how it effects the knife . I would take advice already given I would not waste time thinking about it , who knows how long they will available. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Kid

Post by Kid »

Also check the swedge. One side is closer to the tip than the other side on mine.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I think it’s reasonable to expect more when you’re paying more.

This one tops my wish list, and I would expect better for the 350usd it will cost me.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have seen the flat liner side of spydercos carbon fiber scales end up with little chips like that or not be completely flush. I think the way they machine it may cause some chip out.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Exchange it. For the price paid you should get better quality. My siren has the same stop pin issue. I can live with it on the Siren. On an almost $400 msrp knife, no, exchange for a knife that has more attention.
Stas

Post by Stas »

If you noticed it, you expected it to be better. I personally care for details and would exchange. It won't get better over time.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.