Old guys on the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Old guys on the forum

Post by Archimedes »

You ever cut yourself with your wicked sharp Spyderco and then have to get your reading glasses out to see how bad it is?

Guilty. :woozy
Manixguy@1994

Re: Old guys on the forum

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ha ! I haven’t lately believe me I feel your age and pain . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hahaha, that hits too close to home! 😄

Although my last cut was not with a Spyderco and it was bad enough I didn’t need my glasses to see how bad. 😖
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Nope. Wear bifocals. :rofl
James Y

Post by James Y »

No, I’m near-sighted. I can see and read perfectly up to a foot away without glasses. So I’ve never needed corrective lenses to see an accidental cut from a knife. 😜

For intermediate and far, I wear glasses with progressive lenses. I don’t consider myself that old, though. 🙂

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Starting at the center of my left palm, I almost stuck a very sharp butcher knife completely through my left hand in 2001. Got lucky and did not even cut a tendon.

I don't use sharp knives to do martial arts anymore.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yes! :nerd
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Archimedes wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:32 pm
You ever cut yourself with your wicked sharp Spyderco and then have to get your reading glasses out to see how bad it is?

Guilty. :woozy
Nope. I always assume they are very bad and treat them accordingly, sight unseen.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have been EDCing some kind of a flash light a lot more over the last three years. Low light and less than two feet away from my face, everything is a blur. I can't even see what I am writing. Most things are done by instinct. Been putting off getting glasses for way too long.
Peter
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Dropped a butchers knife and clipped the tip of my big toe doing the dropped knife dance a few weeks ago. Band aid job only but left a bit of claret on the floor.

I had my glasses on so I could see the potatoes I was cutting up. :nerd
Had 20-20 vision up to a few years ago. And can read a sign half a mile away, but up close has faded
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not sure what constitutes old?

Fortunately for me (I guess) my eyeballs suck at a distance so when I cut myself I can see up close real nice and see just how badly I did 🤦🏼‍♂️

Related question, you ever cut yourself with an edge that's so sharp you don't even realize you got cut until you start to feel parts of your body suddenly feeling wet that shouldn't be wet? 😳
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:28 am

Related question, you ever cut yourself with an edge that's so sharp you don't even realize you got cut until you start to feel parts of your body suddenly feeling wet that shouldn't be wet? 😳
Done this on Chads (Xplorer) knife I bought a few weeks ago :grimace Was showing a mate at work and popped it out of the sheath upside down :bandage
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Being blind now, I’ve had to adapt my knife usage techniques, and resort to gloves to protect my other hand when doing food prep.
I’ve cut myself many, many times over the years,though- the worst ones are the ones that you know will bleed a lot, giving you that cold adrenalin “oh sh” rush, usually for about 2 to 3 seconds before you actually start bleeding.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

anycal wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:37 pm
I have been EDCing some kind of a flash light a lot more over the last three years. Low light and less than two feet away from my face, everything is a blur. I can't even see what I am writing. Most things are done by instinct. Been putting off getting glasses for way too long.
I still have 20/20 at age 47, but I hate low lighting and carry flashlight a lot as a result
jacala

Post by jacala »

Currently looking down at daisies and trying to delay looking up at daisies.
I wipe oil onto the blades of each new Spydie that arrives.I use my right pointer finger and have to concentrate on the
direction that I'm going while putting the oil on the blade. Have lost concentration or been distracted a couple of times
in the past heh heh !
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I can see just fine up close, as long as I'm not trying to read anything. :grin-squint

:nerd
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Up close vision deteriorates for everyone eventually, it is inevitable. I think some people who won the genetic lottery get to push it off for longer than the rest of us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
PaperKnife

Post by PaperKnife »

VWTattoo wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:37 am
…the worst ones are the ones that you know will bleed a lot, giving you that cold adrenalin “oh sh” rush, usually for about 2 to 3 seconds before you actually start bleeding.
That description hit a little too close to home. :zany
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've been near-sighted since about age 15 (since 1978). Interestingly, my eyeglass prescription has barely changed since the early '90s. At age 58, my close vision is still as clear as it always was. I can also still get around without wearing glasses at all, even in the dark; I just can't see in clear detail at a distance.

When younger, I used to wear contacts, but the inconvenience of the constant care they require and the eye irritation from them made me give them up in the late '80s.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 am
Up close vision deteriorates for everyone eventually, it is inevitable. I think some people who won the genetic lottery get to push it off for longer than the rest of us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia
“Whatever you may look like, marry a man your own age - as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight.”

Phyllis Diller

You cannot fight the passage of time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?