Right hand knife, left hand carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
T.J.

Right hand knife, left hand carry

Post by T.J. »

One of my Hinderers opened in my pocket and cut me pretty good. I’m a lefty, so I carry in my left pocket. Is this something normal for a right hand knife in a left pocket? I’m asking because if this happens regularly, I’m going to sell my right hand knifes. Thanks!
vivi

Re: Right hand knife, left hand carry

Post by vivi »

it can happen fairly easily with detent based locks. less likely to happen with ball locks, lockbacks and slipjoints.
:unicorn
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am
it can happen fairly easily with detent based locks. less likely to happen with ball locks, lockbacks and slipjoints.
Thanks. I may sell my flippers before I’m sorry I didn’t.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Let me guess. Tip up carry? There's your problem right there.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:40 am
Let me guess. Tip up carry? There's your problem right there.
My problem is that the knife opened.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I’m left handed and carry in my left pocket. I tend to avoid knives where I can’t switch the clip to left hand carry. I haven’t had a problem yet.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am
I’m left handed and carry in my left pocket. I tend to avoid knives where I can’t switch the clip to left hand carry. I haven’t had a problem yet.
This may be part of the problem. Hinderers can’t be switched to left side carry. Never had a problem with any other knife where the clip is switched to left side.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've had several knives open in my pocket. All have been oriented tip up. Never had it happen with tip down carry. Right hand tip up in the left pocket relies entirely on the detent/closing bias to keep you safe. In my experience that's a bad bet.
vivi

Post by vivi »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:48 am
I've had several knives open in my pocket. All have been oriented tip up. Never had it happen with tip down carry. Right hand tip up in the left pocket relies entirely on the detent/closing bias to keep you safe. In my experience that's a bad bet.
I've had tip down knives open in my pocket. I've had knives carried with the spine pressed against the seam of my pocket open up.

Lockbacks and slipjoints are the safest folders I've carried in this context, but nothing beats a fixed blade with a tight fitting kydex sheath.
:unicorn
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Lefty here, and I don't buy right hand framelocks/linerlocks that can't their clips switched to left handed carry.

So far, all of my framelock Spydies (Chef, Swayback, Techno, Sage2, etc.) whose clips I've switched to the left never opened on me in my pocket nor was there ever a threat of them opening unintentionally.

It maybe just conjecture, but maybe your problem is that Hinderer clips can't be switched to left hand carry.

On a side note, what would I give to see the day that Hinderers finally offer left-specific versions of their knives like CRK...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:07 pm
Lefty here, and I don't buy right hand framelocks/linerlocks that can't their clips switched to left handed carry.

So far, all of my framelock Spydies (Chef, Swayback, Techno, Sage2, etc.) whose clips I've switched to the left never opened on me in my pocket nor was there ever a threat of them opening unintentionally.

It maybe just conjecture, but maybe your problem is that Hinderer clips can't be switched to left hand carry.

On a side note, what would I give to see the day that Hinderers finally offer left-specific versions of their knives like CRK...
I’d love to see a lefty Hinderer as well. They are fantastic knives. But not worth cutting my finger off.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I’m going to have a righty fire sale on another knife forum tonight. Not sure if we can mention other forums on here.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Can you not swap the pocket-clip?

The objective is to have your tip-up blade snugged seamward (we’re talking the seam running down the outside of the leg) in the LFP, so that, if the detent is weak, the blade will open no farther than the seam, leaving your hand safe for retrieving your knife.

Most Spydies these days offer side-swappable clips.

I, too, am left-handed, but evidently not so dominantly that I am uncomfortable carrying my Spydie of the day in the RFP.

I can even carry my Bradley Folder with its notoriously weak detent without worry.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm
T.J. wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am
This may be part of the problem. Hinderers can’t be switched to left side carry. Never had a problem with any other knife where the clip is switched to left side.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:46 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:23 pm
T.J. wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am
Thanks. Didn’t catch that.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”