Police 4 LW Sheepscliffe Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

**** yes, I’ll buy 2!
79%
No, I’m scared of 4” blades!
21%

Total votes: 39

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I dreaming of a big Salt model with teeth and I keep coming back to the P4.

How about a P4, LW, SE LC200N, Green FRN and David’s Sheepscliffe Blade Profile?!

Of course I would take Magnacut and Burgundy FRN, but that would be my wildest dream!

What do y’all think?
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
vivi

Re: Police 4 LW Sheepscliffe Salt

Post by vivi »

If Spyderco makes a Police Salt, I'm buying 10 then selling off all my other folders :D
:unicorn
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

cash in the bank waiting...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm scared of 4" blades...

But, I'd still buy two. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm in, obviously :D

The only other knives I'm really waiting for are the choiless Shaman and the Cliff Jumper/Sequoia, which I think have the potential to be favorites for me over the Police 4, but a sheepscliffe blade would definitely help me love it more.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Ist the Caribbean SE sheepsfoot not large enough? The edge length ist just 8 mm less (around 1/3") ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:55 am
Ist the Caribbean SE sheepsfoot not large enough? The edge length ist just 8 mm less (around 1/3") ...

Length is one thing, ergonomics and lock difference is another. Some prefer a back lock and a choil. I've been gravitating to back locks since getting the Rock Jumper, but I want more edge length. My interest in the Police 4 is mostly because it's the longest SE folder I can get and will have the most teeth, and coming in K390 is a big bonus. If I could get the Caribbean exactly how it is but with a back lock, I'd absolutely choose that over a Police 4, even with less edge length.
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

I see & understand. I must admit, that I also prefer back lock on larger knvies (Chief is a great example). I only wish these large Spydercos would come without a finger choil as in combination with a long edge it makes the handle ridiculously long (141 mm on Police) - especially when choking up on the blade.

Just one thing - you can operate the compression lock on the Caribbean pretty much as a back lock. There is just enough ricasso that you can have full grip of the handle, disengage the lock with your thumb, give the knife a slight 'nod' with your wrist , re-grab to clear blade path and close (either with another wrist movement or your fingers). I actually prefer this method on this knife compare to disengaging it with the tip of my index finger.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:26 am
I see & understand. I must admit, that I also prefer back lock on larger knvies (Chief is a great example). I only wish these large Spydercos would come without a finger choil as in combination with a long edge it makes the handle ridiculously long (141 mm on Police) - especially when choking up on the blade.

Just one thing - you can operate the compression lock on the Caribbean pretty much as a back lock. There is just enough ricasso that you can have full grip of the handle, disengage the lock with your thumb, give the knife a slight 'nod' with your wrist , re-grab to clear blade path and close (either with another wrist movement or your fingers). I actually prefer this method on this knife compare to disengaging it with the tip of my index finger.

My biggest issue with the compression lock is that it often creates a hot spot on my palm during hard use. Most back locks are smooth on the spine of the grip in the spot that the CL gives me issues. Whatever they did to the tang of the Rock Jumper is some kind of sorcery, it's somehow easier to open than any of my other back locks in this size yet still has a strong close bias. I have very high hopes for the larger versions whenever they come out.
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Point taken. I have not used the Caribbean hard enough yet to see how much of a hotspot the lock is.

The handle on the Rock Jumper looks great (bears similarities in profile to Caribbean, actually), they should bring a narrow leaf version in k390 :p
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted no, although I'm not scared of 4" blades, I just think spyderco is spreading themselves too thin with all these variations of the exact same models.
- Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I voted "no" as well. Love my Police, and would be very interested in a Salt version. Don't change the blade shape however.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:30 am
I'm in, obviously :D

The only other knives I'm really waiting for are the choiless Shaman and the Cliff Jumper/Sequoia, which I think have the potential to be favorites for me over the Police 4, but a sheepscliffe blade would definitely help me love it more.

I’m eagerly waiting for them as well, and I really wish the Cliff Jumper came out of the gate as a Salt. Time will tell, but there is just some about how thin the P4 carries, thin and long.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:39 am
I voted "no" as well. Love my Police, and would be very interested in a Salt version. Don't change the blade shape however.

I would be perfectly content with the original blade shape, but the Sheepscliffe would be a stretch goal!
Dane

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:02 am
I voted no, although I'm not scared of 4" blades, I just think spyderco is spreading themselves too thin with all these variations of the exact same models.

It just seems like Seki is really pumping models out lately, and with the continued trend of salting the whole lineup it just seemed like an obvious fit.
Dane

JMM

Post by JMM »

I'll take two SE & one PE in that that configuration, and while we're at it, I would love to see a P4 LW S90V TiCN PE/SE in black FRN. Between Police & Chief models I don't think I would have need to ever buy another large folder in my lifetime....
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:02 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:02 am

It just seems like Seki is really pumping models out lately, and with the continued trend of salting the whole lineup it just seemed like an obvious fit.
In my opinion, a Police 4 LW Salt without changing the blade shape would fit into the lineup. I'm just a little skeptical of changing the blade shape too drastically. I would understand if they reshaped the tip of the Police 4 Salt, similar to how they have done with the Salt 2 and Pacific Salt 2.
- Nick :bug-red
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

When it comes to Spyderco, I'm only buying Salt knives for the foreseeable future (we'll see how long that lasts :) ), so yes, the Police needs a Salt version. A wharncliffe, sheepscliffe, sheepsfoot, or even hawkbill would make it so much better.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

"No, I’m scared of 4” blades"?

Well, not exactly, but I did vote No. :o I love my Militaries! :D

But, the P4 handle doesn't fit my hands very well (first "point" hits my middle finger wrong), which is why I voted no.

Another 4" model in a Salt configuration? Like a Military. In for sure!

Edited for clarity.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:08 am
"No, I’m scared of 4” blades"?

Well, not exactly, but I did vote No. :o I love my Militaries! :D

But, the P4 handle doesn't fit my hands very well (first "point" hits my middle finger wrong), which is why I voted no.

Another 4" model in a Salt configuration? Like a Military. In for sure!

Edited for clarity.

The poll was meant to be kind of a joke, in that yes is the only answer :D

There is still time to change your vote ;)
Dane