Chipped Some Rex 45, here it is at 30x and 60x.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Chipped Some Rex 45, here it is at 30x and 60x.

Post by kennethsime »

The other day I was opening some packages and ended cutting through metal wire that I thought was plastic wire (think: bread bag ties, only reinforced with metal). Ended up chipping my new Rex45 Para 3 LW in three places.

As it so happens, I was inspired by the Loupe thread and ended up purchasing a 30x/60x loupe with a little LED for about $10. Pretty cool to see the edge up close! For reference, it's the factory edge, and was used pretty lightly for about a week before this.

I thought I'd share some pics of the damage for those of you who haven't used a loupe before.

Here it is at 30x:

And again at 60x:

There's one smaller area of damage closer to the tip. None of it really doesn't get in the way too much, so I may hold off on fixing the damage until the rest of the edge dulls a bit. Has anyone taken off this much material from a Rex45 blade with only the brown stones?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Re: Chipped Some Rex 45, here it is at 30x and 60x.

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:58 pm
The other day I was opening some packages and ended cutting through metal wire that I thought was plastic wire (think: bread bag ties, only reinforced with metal). Ended up chipping my new Rex45 Para 3 LW in three places.

As it so happens, I was inspired by the Loupe thread and ended up purchasing a 30x/60x loupe with a little LED for about $10. Pretty cool to see the edge up close! For reference, it's the factory edge, and was used pretty lightly for about a week before this.

I thought I'd share some pics of the damage for those of you who haven't used a loupe before.

Not bad for such a cheao loupe!

/ In your experience: Do you think that most steels would have chipped under that circumstances (don´t know which kind of metal wire you were cutting accidently)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

It's hard to say from only pics, but those look like rolls to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be a tiny shadow where the metal is rolled up rather than chipped off. Not sure it'll make much difference when it comes to repairing the damage, but it is interesting to note about rex45 still being tough rather than brittle at such high hardness.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Little tip, if your phone camera can do macro shots, put your loupe up to the camera lense and you should be able to get some really high focus pics that way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Looks like a factory edge roll to me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Does seem like a roll to me, and so I would hope. I’m partial to toughness.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Speaking of loupe's, what would you guys recommend for a cheaper offering?. There are so many cheap ones on eBay it's hard to know where to start
JMM

Post by JMM »

I would classify that as a roll, as in rock-n-, or dinner- ;)

Seriously though, I would concur with the ^ aforementioned observations.... In all honesty I have not ever seen Rex45 roll quite like that, and I have put a ton of miles on my Rex45 Para3 from the first sprint run...
JMM

Post by JMM »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:36 pm
Speaking of loupe's, what would you guys recommend for a cheaper offering?. There are so many cheap ones on eBay it's hard to know where to start

I don't buy much off of Amazon, but this loupe is 30x & 60x, and has an LED light, it's an amazing value for $8.99 w/free S&H...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N ... UTF8&psc=1
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:10 pm
DOUBLE D wrote:

I don't buy much off of Amazon, but this loupe is 30x & 60x, and has an LED light, it's an amazing value for $8.99 w/free S&H...

You've purchased this one and liked it then?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:02 pm
JMM wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:

That's the same one I have (mine is white, but same model). It's worked great for me, although I don't have any basis for comparison with more expensive ones. I actually bought a second one to check any new ball pythons we bring in for mites.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

DOUBLE D wrote:
JMM wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:

Yep, I own it and love it, for the money I can't imagine finding anything better.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:13 pm
DOUBLE D wrote:
JMM wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:

Yep, I own it and love it, for the money I can't imagine finding anything better.

Awesome. Thank you very much for the recommendation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Looks mild. That will sharpen out pretty quick.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I did something similar to my para 3 in M4; I was cutting up one of those plastic zippered bags that a quilt came packaged in. I noticed the wire bead was surprisingly thick. After I cut through it. Big notch in the blade. It took more than one session to sharpen it out! Iirc, I did that job with cbn rods, not the medium ceramic rods.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I sharpen nicks like that out of my blades all the time, including rex45. Rex is among the most damage resistant I've used. Damage to me can be chip/roll/dulling... whatever requires sharpening.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JMM wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered one myself. These eyes are getting worse and the app on my phone doesnt work the best.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Any type of wire can wind up pretty edge damaging depending on how it is cut. Place it on a mat and hammer the blade through it? Likely no damage. Slice it? Probably some damage.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JMM

Post by JMM »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:00 pm
JMM wrote:
DOUBLE D wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation, I just ordered one myself. These eyes are getting worse and the app on my phone doesnt work the best.
Yeah man you're welcome -- I really wish I had bought one years ago, I think anyone that's a knife and/or steel person, especially if you like to do your own sharpening than you need to drop a few bucks to see what you've been missing... It makes the basic magnifying glass I've been using forever seem downright silly... LMK your thoughts when you get it.

Cheers,

John
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Nice pic, Ken.
Your observations are not substantially different than my own. I've got two REX 45 blades, and they are my current favorites. On the most recent blade, I had the presence of mind to examine it under magnification the minute I took it out of the box. It was really sharp, usably sharp, and I'm the guy who generally sharpens a knife within minutes of when the UPS guy delivers it. The knife had microscopic chips from the factory. To be honest, I don't think I've really examined a factory edge this closely, so I've got nothing to compare it to.

I sharpen the REX 45 pretty sharp. After a bit of use, the edge feels different, but is still very sharp. Examination shows microscopic chipping. I never use it so long as to let it go dull, so touching up the edge is really quick. I try not to be OCD about an EDC knife. When I'm done with this one, it's crazy sharp, but a nick or two might survive. It might "catch" while slicing paper, but it's not so bad that I'd waste the steel to polish out every last nick.