Spyderco Military CTS204P dissassemble to clean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spyderco Military CTS204P dissassemble to clean

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Hello.

I am using my Spyderco MIlitary CTS204P in wet conditions, IE: The kitchen quite a bit. What can I say? the length and sharpness of the blade are really great!
2b.jpg
a1.jpg

Recently I left the blade out to airdry in the deployed / locked up position after cleaning with soap and water and wiping it down to allow it to airdry.

The next day I noticed where the back of the blade contacts the stop pin there was a bit of rust.

My fault I know.

To my amazement all I had to do was rub it with my shirt and the rust came right off. Perfectly clean steel underneath. Must have to do with the high levels of Chromium creating a thin protective layer of Chromium oxide?

I have had this happen with S30V and it requires Flitz to get rid of the rust. So as far as I am concerned CTS204P is worth the hype on many levels and not just for this reason.

After all this explaining how I am prone to getting my knives wet, my real question is how do I take this version of the military apart to clean and relube the pivot since the newer Military models are pinned?

Is it just a matter of removing the screw / screws holding the blade in place?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Spyderco Military CTS204P dissassemble to clean

2b.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Knives that I use around water and food (that aren't Salts) get taken apart and the insides coated with Tuf-Glide and the pivot is given a generous coating of bearing grease. This has been enough to prevent 52100 from getting rust in and around the pivot. The grease will collect lint over time, but the beauty of the Military is that, being tip down carry only, the pivot stays outside at the top of your pocket and doesn't collect lint nearly as much as other knives. Over a long enough period I'll take them apart and clean off the old grease and repack them, it just depends on what I use them for and how dirty they get.

I bought this tube back around 1993 or so and I'm still using it today.
https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-Waterp ... K3HPPW2XJ9
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PStone

Post by PStone »

Just remove all the screws. The stop pin is stepped and is not pinned.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Definitely not pinned. Sometimes the lanyard tube is flared and hard to get apart but if all you are doing is cleaning it then you can just rotate the scales away from each other and clean it. The lanyard tube doesn't even go through the liners so they will come out without removing the lanyard tube.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice.

As far as 52100 Steel goes I did purchase a PM2 partly serrated and do love the bite of the steel it sharpens very easily / well and is very toothy. Yes I did get it to rust quite easily but Flitzed it and it is good 2 go.

Speaking of sharpening.... I have heard people complain about the Sharpmaker and the higher end steels, heck I even own a Wicked Edge Pro but I always come back to the Sharpmaker or Duck Footed Spyder Stone. This is even with S110V.

Just in case anyone is wondering the Sharp Maker works great with CTS204P, I like the blade the brown stones give my Military the best 5 swipes either sides at 15 degrees is all it takes.