Solutions to the clip switch/action issue with PM2s and Para 3s?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
basedlarrydavid

Solutions to the clip switch/action issue with PM2s and Para 3s?

Post by basedlarrydavid »

I had some time today and decided I wanted to work on the action of a few of my Millies, PM2s, and Para 3s.

I took down my CTS-204P PM2 (didn’t pop off the lanyard tube) and cleaned it up, oiled/polished the washers and oiled the mechanism. Had it falling shut with almost no resistance and very minor blade play.

I decided to hit my Maxamet PM2 and Para 3 with some Frog Lube (just the blade, didn’t touch below the scales) to give it some corrosion protection. Both actions were great so I didn’t disassemble.

Here’s the trouble:

I had just gotten these Maxamets in the last couple of weeks and I hadn’t had time to switch the carry position (I started with Millies, so right-hand tip-down is my go-to). I did it first with the Para 3 and then I went to flick it open and NOTHING. It might as well have been cemented shut. I removed the clip and loosened the pivot so it went back to the same feel as before the clip position switch (though suddenly it now had some blade play where it didn’t before). I put the clip back on and again, could barely open the darn thing up.

I have never messed with tuning a Para 3, so I thought it might be unique to it. I set it aside and switched the Maxamet PM2 to RH tip-down. SAME THING HAPPENED.

I read some old threads about this issue occurring, but they’re years old threads. I’m probably going to take each one apart and try to figure it out tonight.

Has anyone had this issue before? If so, how did you resolve it?
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
dj moonbat

Re: Solutions to the clip switch/action issue with PM2s and Para 3s?

Post by dj moonbat »

It sounds like the clip screws are causing a small amount of flex in the liner right next to the pivot when tightened down in the tip down position.
basedlarrydavid

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:32 pm
It sounds like the clip screws are causing a small amount of flex in the liner right next to the pivot when tightened down in the tip down position.

I switched my Cruwear Para 3 to tip-down when I got it and had no issues whatsoever. I'm about to take these guys apart and see if I can make it right by tightening each screw bit by bit. The loctite is going to be a PITA, but if I can't get it right, I guess they're going on a trip to Colorado.

basedlarrydavid

Well, I took it down and found at least part of the issue:

Apparently tightening down the clip screws into a right-hand, tip-up position (at least on my Maxamet Para 3) can cause them to extend past the liner and ruin the washer.

This is kinda bogus if you ask me. I used stock screws and clip, using the holes drilled by Spyderco. For all intents and purposes, I used a function of the knife as it was designed and this was my result. Plus, one of the pivot screws is completely stuck and I'm fairly certain I stripped the screw. This is a current run (Maxamet Para 3) and I was under the impression that red loctite went the way of the Dodo last year. I had zero issues getting the rest of the screws off, including the other pivot screw, so I'm thinking something is really, really wrong with this particular knife. Did I get a lemon here?

Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

Spyderco warranty should get you some new washers. Not sure of how to prevent other than using shorter screws. Perhaps scale countersink was drilled too deep?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 pm
Well, I took it down and found at least part of the issue:

Apparently tightening down the clip screws into a right-hand, tip-up position (at least on my Maxamet Para 3) can cause them to extend past the liner and ruin the washer.

This is kinda bogus if you ask me. I used stock screws and clip, using the holes drilled by Spyderco. For all intents and purposes, I used a function of the knife as it was designed and this was my result. Plus, one of the pivot screws is completely stuck and I'm fairly certain I stripped the screw. This is a current run (Maxamet Para 3) and I was under the impression that red loctite went the way of the Dodo last year. I had zero issues getting the rest of the screws off, including the other pivot screw, so I'm thinking something is really, really wrong with this particular knife. Did I get a lemon here?
I've had clip screws damage a washer before as well. Since that happened I made the choice to move all knives I can to tip up carry.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
basedlarrydavid

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:51 pm
I've had clip screws damage a washer before as well. Since that happened I made the choice to move all knives I can to tip up carry.

See, I don't feel as though we should have to change our carry habits due to manufacture/design error. Perhaps I'm alone in this.

dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Either the included screws are too long, the liner/scale stack is too thin, the holes are in the wrong place, or the washers are too wide. Let Spyderco figure out which.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

I know that you said you used stock clips and screws.

Do you have any lynch clips?
If so, they come with longer screws. I was cleaning a few knives the other day, and realized I mixed some small and larger in a ball jar. I caught it beforehand but I usually carry tip up. I could see how this might happen tip down. I would definitely send it in with the same screws, they will let you know what went down. I have already stripped my back screws on my Para 3 and I was using Wiha bits.
-C
basedlarrydavid

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 am

If so, they come with longer screws. I was cleaning a few knives the other day, and realized I mixed some small and larger in a ball jar. I caught it beforehand but I usually carry tip up. I could see how this might happen tip down. I would definitely send it in with the same screws, they will let you know what went down. I have already stripped my back screws on my Para 3 and I was using Wiha bits.
-C

Nope, I keep all of my Spydercos stock (with the exception of a couple that have been sharpened). I’m kinda weird in the sense that I prefer to use certain products as the designer intended them to be used. I don’t have an issue with my knives carrying outside of the pocket just a bit.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m actually sending it to Golden this morning. Any idea how long it will be before I’ll know what’s going on?

Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Never had to send anything in yet, Para 3 will be my first. Maybe someone else might chime in on that. But a knife that is advertised as tip up / tip down carry, should not be the case. Hard to say, but it looks bent in that area from longer screws to me. -C
Last edited by Calicoast on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Calicoast wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:24 am

-C
My manix 2 with a fractured blade took 3 weeks.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:45 pm
Perhaps scale countersink was drilled too deep?
Or perhaps they simply designed something improperly - consumer should be able to move the clip as advertised without issues................. :mad:

I moved the clip on a dice a while ago and it clearly impacted the flipping action. If they're going to advertise moveable clips, design the knives to work properly in all positions. :(
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Know it can be frustrating...but I am pretty sure Spyderco wants to see it and know what happened just as much as you did.

Purchased a new Ford Explorer for $50K, and was back to the dealer several times within months after I purchased it for this or that.
-C
basedlarrydavid

I just sent the Para 3 into Spyderco today. I'm hopeful for a satisfactory resolution.

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco will make it right. Sorry that happened to you. That pic made me wince
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Spydergirl88 wrote: Spyderco will make it right. Sorry that happened to you. That pic made me wince
basedlarrydavid wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm
I just sent the Para 3 into Spyderco today. I'm hopeful for a satisfactory resolution.
Spyderco will. Hopefully you get your PM3 back and in your pocket asap with details. Please keep us updated on what you hear.
-C