Best place to buy pure silver?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ConspicuousConsumption

Best place to buy pure silver?

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

So I'm kinda liking the idea of buying some precious metals, like gold and silver, just to have on hand. I'm not a doomsday prepper, and I don't think our currencies are tanking or something and we'll need to rely on barter and precious materials for trade. But, it'd be nice to have some sweet pure silver coins. I could put them real cool like in my Pelican gun cases and the such. Why not? I have a ton of old silver coins, like pre-65 stuff, but I'd like that pure silver too.

Any advice? If you try to Google this kind of stuff you just get all the worst marketing ploys known to man. The US Mint website is way more expensive than everyone else, as far as I could tell. But please tell me if you know anywhere to buy pure silver at the best price! I don't care if it's a coin, bullion, scrap, etc. Just pure 99.9%.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
farnorthdan

Re: Best place to buy pure silver?

Post by farnorthdan »

Apmex and Monarch are a couple places off the top of my head, I've purchased from both over the years with no complaints.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Ampex and Provident Metals are both legit. It's best to shop sales because the savings add up. You pay them just to buy and you pay again to sell. That is how it works. Also you will be charged an extra amount ( 3 % typically) if you purchase with a credit card so include that into the price if need be.

Some products are sold as collectors items so the price is way above the cost of the metals value. Not the best way to get the highest value. I stick to US and Canadian .999 stuff and buy when on sale. Skip the Canadian Wolf, bear etc. stuff that will have you paying $50 for a $18 coin.

Joe
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Gainesville Coins is another legit dealer.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'd have to agree with Joe on steering clear of the collectors stuff if possible, very limited market for that stuff. I will admit though that i do order 2 x 1oz Kooks for my mom and myself every year, kinda our thing, they're very nice design.

Not sure if they're still around or not but you might check out another forum called Bullionstackers, I haven't visited in a long time, was one of the very first members there way back when and it use to have a great BST section where great deals could be had, great group there.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

Thanks everyone. I’m definitely going to have to check out the sales. I literally had a dream about finding gold boulders last night.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

If you like the old coins or "junk silver" websites like this can be handy.http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver ... lator.html

Every now and then I ask my bank for all the JFK coins they have. I usually can find a few 40% silver coins in the lot. I either sell them ( non silver) back or take the remainder non silver ones to another bank. I have explained it to them and they told me they didn't mind and understood what I was doing. That's about the only time I bother with less than 90% silver ( pre 64 american).

There are coin shows down at the fairgrounds where they have gun shows every quarter or 6 months and there are always dealers there. It's fun to go there ( I used to take my son before he grew up and moved out) and it's easy to find and bargain for deals but it's just as easy to get taken advantage of just like a flea market. :) I have traded weight without having to pay any markup so if you want to get dimes instead of quarters ( they usually trade by dollar amount) for instance it's better to wait and go find a dealer willing to trade instead of doing it online and paying people a mark up service fee to do that it can be worth it.

Joe
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Probably the cheapest way to buy Pure (99.9%) Silver, known as "Fine" is from a Jewellery Smelter or Casting Company. You will only be paying for the Metal. This will be available in Granules, Ingots, or bars. Even Rod, tube, triangles if required.
You will have to pay for the Rolling of course.
If you want it as a "Trade able" form, then I would suggest a Stamped and Certified Ingot.
This is easily recognized and accepted pretty much anywhere in the World.
You (and your down line purchaser) will be paying a premium for Coinage.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Ok. Just to clarify a few things on this subject for all you Nice People here on the Forum.
If YOU are thinking of Bullion or Specie as a Investment, make ABSOLUTALY sure, you get the stuff in your hot little hands.
DO NOT under any bullshit circumstances allow another Party to hold it in "Trust"
This is where you order from the Supplier, and they say "we will hold it on our secure premises for you"
The #1 reason you are "holding" Precious Metal, is just that !
YOU hold it as a hedge against Inflation or rather "deflation" so that your Investment is Tangible and Real.
So many People have been ripped off over the years by the "Security Company" not even buying the Metal in the first place OR doing a runner with YOUR money or Metal.
Ray Smith of Gold Corp here in NZ was a typical example. (early '80's)
His Company said they would buy it on behalf, and would have some stored in Safe for Customers to view. He just kept selling the same Ingots over and over again.
Any investment is only worth what you can get for it when YOU chose to sell it.
If you don't have access to it, you cannot sell it...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The two times I dabbled in precious metals I once found a very reputable coin shop here close to where I live. But on the world wide web I've found "Kitco" to be a great source for a wide array of metals. Actually the KITCO website is one of the most up to date and accurate websites for real time market prices on Gold, Silver, Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium ect. I've heard that KITCO also will do business out of the USA as well. I know for a fact that they sell and trade with Canadian customers.

I've had my best luck buying gold, silver and platinum bullion coins and holding them till the prices rise. I've never had any trouble selling any bullion coins either. But stick to American Eagles, Canadian Maple Leafs and South African Krugerrands>> because those popular bullion coins are easily redeemable. Unless you are extremely well educated in the field of "numismatic" coins ( collectibles) I would stay clear of them. I've even heard of experts getting burned on those.

But my advice is to stick with authentic bullion coins.