Hundred Pacer - my most anticipated of 2017

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HammerHill

Hundred Pacer - my most anticipated of 2017

Post by HammerHill »

I had a chance to handle the Hundred Pacer early this year, and was surprised by how quickly it grew on me. At a glance, it had "pass" written all over it: long, wide, odd. I usually prefer light, pocketable knives, but once I picked it up I just couldn't put the Hundred Pacer down. Despite its obscure appearance, its ergonomics felt instinctive. The scales (a fitting word, given the Taiwanese snake that inspired them) are grippy and unique. And I'm eager to put the broad flat-ground blade to work in my kitchen. I haven't seen much discussion around this one here yet, so I thought I'd start a thread. Anyone else planning on picking one up?

Last edited by HammerHill on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jdw

Re: Hundred Pacer - my most anticipated of 2017

Post by jdw »

I have been looking and thinking about this one a lot too. One of the things that draws me to it is the anticipation that it is going to have the nearly faultless Taichung quality that I have come to expect from there. I haven't had the chance to handle one but I am drawn to the uniqueness of it and just have a hunch that it may be a hidden gem out of this year's releases.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like big knives. I like unique knives. I also like XHP. The scales look very cool. I don't like the idea of a tip up only wire clip on a knife that big. That said, I am in!

It looks like a great blade shape and is sort of close to what I hoped the Spydiechef would have had for a blade. It is long, it has a functional tip and it has lots of belly without the upsweep of the tip being too sudden or too drastic. It looks like it could excel at cutting board style cuts, skinning cuts and other tasks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

jdw wrote:I...just have a hunch that it may be a hidden gem out of this year's releases.
bearfacedkiller wrote:It looks like a great blade shape and is sort of close to what I hoped the Spydiechef would have had for a blade.
Agreed on both counts! I was all set to buy the spydiechef based on Slysz's original design, but - as trivial as it sounds - the shorter blade of the production version just killed the "pocket kitchen knife" concept for me. Cutting board performance is important to me, and the Hundred Pacer's great ergonomics, longer blade, unique design, and thoughtful blade shape look to make it one of the most versatile knives to be announced this year.

One thing I don't see it excelling at: being easy to carry. Better set aside an entire pocket for this one. Then again, it's not overweight, so I may yet change my mind after some time with it.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Also handled this earlier this year and looking at it I htought the handles looked cool and it had an interesting look/design but it wouldn't be anything I'd ever consider buying.
As soon as I had it in hand it felt like the best folding kitchen blade I've ever seen/held and I really wanted to have one!

Will still have to see if I will get it, trying to cut down on knives that won't get carried/used much and when I carry a big blade I usually carry a Pacific Salt or a Military, this might be a bit too big for regular carry. (also not ideal for urban sheeple carry ;) )

Would definitely recommend this knife, if you're looking for a big slicer which would indeed do great on a cutting board this should be one of the best out there.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Looking at that handle I imagine it's very comfortable for some hands and uncomfortable for others. Seems like it forces your pinky into the rear groove and then the rest of your fingers land where they may. Or maybe you can fit all fingers ahead of the rear groove?
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

ABX2011 wrote:Looking at that handle I imagine it's very comfortable for some hands and uncomfortable for others. Seems like it forces your pinky into the rear groove and then the rest of your fingers land where they may. Or maybe you can fit all fingers ahead of the rear groove?
I don't claim to speak for all hands, but you should have no problem gripping the knife ahead of the rear groove - the proportions on the Hundred Pacer are pretty oversized. I felt like that little scallop was only there when I needed it, something for my pinky to slip into when I stretched out with my thumb on the spine. Check out Spydercollector's in hand pic:

Last edited by HammerHill on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdw

Post by jdw »

That's larger than I had imagined. I love it! I too am a big fan of large folders and XHP. It has the look of a nice sized hiking knife to me and it just looks like it was made to take big bites out of....well, whatever you want to slice. I will have to grab this one for sure.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Ok I see, it's bigger than I realized. I love the blade shape and grind.
vivi

Post by vivi »

this design grows on me every time I see it. The scales are very distinctive.
:unicorn
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I'm drawn to obscure, this one is no different, it will join my collection for sure in the future.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am sorry, but it's appearance closed is a dealbreaker for me..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Larry_Mott wrote:I am sorry, but it's appearance closed is a dealbreaker for me..
It's got a heavy brow, that's for sure:

I think it's rather charming, myself. Flows nicely with the rest of the weirdness :spyder:
timlara

Post by timlara »

HammerHill wrote: One thing I don't see it excelling at: being easy to carry. Better set aside an entire pocket for this one. Then again, it's not overweight, so I may yet change my mind after some time with it.
That's the conundrum I have with this one...I actually really like the funky look and think the inspiration behind it is cool, but it just looks so darn wide when closed, I can't see myself carrying it comfortably. Even the PM2 (if tip down) and Millie are too wide for me to carry in RFP, and this seems even wider.

I really wanted to like the SpydieChef, but the ergos just didn't do it for me when I handled it. I think I would like the ergos of the Hundred Pacer a lot better, but the wide carry combined with the fact that I really have no use for a folding kitchen knife since I only cook at home and already have a nice set of "proper" chef knives makes it hard to justify.

I'll be interested to hear how you like it, though, and I'll have to stop by the SFO and handle one when I get a chance anyway.
Tim
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Well I see one of these at the auction site so they're pretty much here.
After my initial dismissal, I find myself interested in this model and I expect I will get one. Anyone preorder one or plan on getting one?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It will take me a while but I will definitely be getting one of these.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Looks like Collectors are getting theirs... :spyder:
Attachments
JHMailCall.jpg
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Great news! I was hoping they'd get here before the end of the year. I have a bit of store credit at bladehq so I'm eagerly waiting for them to get some in stock.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This one will go down as one everyone wishes they had bought when they can't buy them anymore.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Please post an in hand pic of one, when you get one (this is for anyone willing). I really like the look, but want to see what it looks like in hand.