Para 3 and CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wrathhog

Para 3 and CQI

Post by Wrathhog »

Just curious if we may see some improvement on future Para 3's in the clip/lanyard hole area? I looked forward to this knife as much as any I can remember but was totally let down by a few things, the pocket clip area number one. As I've read many who share my same opinion, any hope CQI may improve the Para 3?
Mushroom

Re: Para 3 and CQI

Post by Mushroom »

What is it exactly about the pocket clip area that let you down, and what are you looking to see improved? Also, curious what else about the Para 3 let you down? Just trying to better understand your opinion.

Personally, I've found the pocket clip to be a little low and leaves just a bit more of the knife out of pocket than I would like. Though, I tend to prefer deeper carry clips as is, so I may be a little bias. From my experience, the Para 3 leaves only a slightly larger portion exposed than a Delica when in pocket; for comparison.
- Nick :bug-red
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

It's only been out a number of months, not even a year at this point. :confused: I would guess new CQI is probably a ways off.... :rolleyes:
I'm just glad it made it. Nice size knife. ;)
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

Buy a custom deep carry titanium clip and you'l have a fantastic knife!!!
timlara

Post by timlara »

I too would be interested to hear the design reasoning behind placing the Para 3 clip where it is. I assume it was done for logistics reasons, so that a custom clip wouldn't have to be made, but I would have much preferred to see a clip with the lanyard hole in the middle of it so that a deeper carry would be possible. That seems like that would be the best compromise if there must be a lanyard hole in the design. (But from a business perspective, I totally get why having a custom clip would be less desirable.)
Tim
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Mushroom wrote:What is it exactly about the pocket clip area that let you down, and what are you looking to see improved? Also, curious what else about the Para 3 let you down? Just trying to better understand your opinion.

Personally, I've found the pocket clip to be a little low and leaves just a bit more of the knife out of pocket than I would like. Though, I tend to prefer deeper carry clips as is, so I may be a little bias. From my experience, the Para 3 leaves only a slightly larger portion exposed than a Delica when in pocket; for comparison.
The paramilitary 2 is a larger knife and rides much lower in pocket. I don't understand a fourth of a 3 inch knife exposed out of pocket. The lanyard hole causes the whole issue. The Native 5 clip would be a huge improvement. Just looking at the knife, it's like the clip was thrown on it without any thought whatsoever.

My other main issue, which I can live with and is just my opinion, is the blade. I had envisioned the blade being a downsized version of the paramilitary 2, somewhat Delica shaped. Instead it looks like the pm2 blade was just shortened. The blade is just too wide for that size knife imo. I dont see any advantage of carrying the Para 3 over a pm2 for that reason.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

timlara wrote:I too would be interested to hear the design reasoning behind placing the Para 3 clip where it is. I assume it was done for logistics reasons, so that a custom clip wouldn't have to be made, but I would have much preferred to see a clip with the lanyard hole in the middle of it so that a deeper carry would be possible. That seems like that would be the best compromise if there must be a lanyard hole in the design. (But from a business perspective, I totally get why having a custom clip would be less desirable.)
The Native clip would make the knife much better, if a lanyard hole was required. I honestly don't understand the lanyard hole fetish. It would be perfect without one imo.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the Para 3 as is, but for what ever it's worth I would also like a version of the Para3 with a lanyard hole Delete, and a deep carry wire clip that took maximum advantage of the lanyard hole deletion. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

Wrathhog wrote: The Native clip would make the knife much better, if a lanyard hole was required. I honestly don't understand the lanyard hole fetish. It would be perfect without one imo.
I agree. I personally only use lanyard holes on smaller knives that either ride completely in pocket like a Manbug, and/or are too small to have a secure 4-finger grip for my large-ish hands.

I do of course get that there are just as many people who like lanyards on all their knives, maybe for decorative reasons/cool lanyard beads, or because they feel it makes it easier to grab or whatever. And I'm not a fisherman, but obviously a lanyard makes a lot of sense if you're at risk of dropping a knife overboard on a boat. (Although the Para 3 specifically doesn't seem like the best choice for a fishing knife.) Or maybe rock climbing? All stuff that I don't really do as primarily an "indoor enthusiast". :D

Anyway, the problem with mass production is that you have to balance everybody's wants/needs, so I think we're unlikely to ever see a full delete, but I do think a Native style clip with a hole would probably be the best compromise.

It would be cool to hear from Sal or Eric if there were other design considerations besides just minimizing extra parts for using the standard clip.
Tim
timlara

Post by timlara »

ZrowsN1s wrote:I like the Para 3 as is, but for what ever it's worth I would also like a version of the Para3 with a lanyard hole Delete, and a deep carry wire clip that took maximum advantage of the lanyard hole deletion. :D
Yep, I prefer the Sage 5 personally, in large part due to the wire clip...Though I kind of like the Para 3 blade shape better. A hybrid would be great.
Tim
The Snowman

Post by The Snowman »

IMHO, the Para 3 was a pretty heavily overpriced knife that didn't do anything the PM2 couldn't do a little bit better, especially considering the PM2 is just slightly more expensive. Given the choice, I'd choose the Native over the Para 3 any day.
~Jonathan, the Snowman.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Love Love Love the para 3 it is my edc. But the lanyard tube location in relation to the clip for tip up carry is a really bad design in my opinion. 1" of the knife sits out of the pocket unless you go tip down or spend more on an aftermarket clip. But other wise it the perfect size knife in both length as well as thickness. Feels like a knife that can work nice and sturdy and fills the hand. Blade shape is great. Love the contoured handles. 8 out of 10 if the clip was fixed 10 out of 10.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Snowman wrote:IMHO, the Para 3 was a pretty heavily overpriced knife that didn't do anything the PM2 couldn't do a little bit better, especially considering the PM2 is just slightly more expensive. Given the choice, I'd choose the Native over the Para 3 any day.
I've got a few PM2's and Natives and I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you about the Para 3. I've shopped around I don't find it priced incorrectly or overly. $120 for an s30v g-10 knife is a good deal. And $125 for Cru-Wear and Grey G-10? :cool: I don't know what else to tell you there. As for the rest, you're looking at it from a perspective of the PM2 can do everything Para3 can and better, I look at it as the Para3 can do everything the PM2 can (compresion lock, blade shape, g-10) but in a better size for EDC carry. Even the size difference between the Yojimbo 2 and the Para 2 makes a difference for me in How I can carry the knife in pocket. I'm a huge fan of the Native, but it is a different animal than the Para3, so I don't see them as redundant despite their similar size either.

I don't think there is anything wrong with preferring the Native and the PM2 to the PM3 though :D Everyone has their favorites. Personally, I'm looking forward to the many Para 3 Sprint runs.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Snowman wrote:IMHO, the Para 3 was a pretty heavily overpriced knife that didn't do anything the PM2 couldn't do a little bit better, especially considering the PM2 is just slightly more expensive. Given the choice, I'd choose the Native over the Para 3 any day.
IDK, when you consider that the Native 5 G10 sells for $135 I think the Para 3 ($120) is priced accordingly. I think they're both fine knives BTW.

IMO, the one thing the Para 3 does that the PM2 can't do is be smaller, which was the whole idea behind the knife and what a lot of people wanted. I have 2 PM2s and I like em well enough but I don't carry them often because they're a little bigger than I prefer. Since I got my Para 3 it gets carried fairly regularly.

I too was a little bummed when I learned the Para 3 wasn't going to be a fully scaled down version of the PM2. Then I learned that Spyderco's goal was to simply make a shorter version of the PM2 with all the same features. Do I need the large lanyard tube and large hole in the blade? Nope! Would I prefer they used a small lanyard tube so the clip could be mounted in a different location? Yes! I would've prefered to not have to add a deep carry clip to mine but now that I did all my issues are resolved.

I also think the knife looks a little funny but I got over that fast once I started cutting carboard with it at work. The knife feels very solid, it fills my hand well, and it slices great. I bring a lot of different knives to work (Natives, Delicas, UKPK, Sages, Mantra, etc) and I'm finding that, overall, the Para 3 does it's job extremely well. Don't get me wrong, all those other knives work great too but the Para 3 has started to really impress me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Snowman

Post by The Snowman »

Sharp Guy wrote: IDK, when you consider that the Native 5 G10 sells for $135 I think the Para 3 ($120) is priced accordingly. I think they're both fine knives BTW.
I had purchased a Native G10 off of Amazon for somewhere around $110, and had gotten a Para 3 for $120 from Amazon as well. Not saying that it's a bad knife at all, I actually liked it a lot, I just felt it was somewhat overpriced considering I had gotten a PM2 for $110. My expectations were that for a smaller knife, I had expected the price to be a little lower, as you are getting quite a bit less blade for your buck.
~Jonathan, the Snowman.
anycal

Post by anycal »

ZrowsN1s wrote:...I look at it as the Para3 can do everything the PM2 can (compresion lock, blade shape, g-10) but in a better size for EDC carry....
Specifically to the better size for carry comment. In overall length, they are different by an inch. That is significant. But when it comes to carry, when closed, they are very similar,
- same handle width
- same closed knife height
- very similar weight. Para3 is advertised at 3oz, but it weighs 3.45oz. PM2 is 3.75oz. Not much different.
- handle lenght, there is only a 1/2 inch difference

No beef here. It feels differently when in use, but for me, I did not notice much of a difference in the carry department.

I like them both; I like variety. If one had to go, PM2 would stay. That said, Para 3 CRUWEAR on pre-order. Can't wait.
Peter
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The lanyard hole needs shrinking, and the clip put a bit further back. Then, I might try one out. I think those deep carry aftermarket clips look just plain unattractive in my eyes. Just my opinion there - I know lots of you love them, and that's awesome.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Jazz wrote:The lanyard hole needs shrinking, and the clip put a bit further back. Then, I might try one out. I think those deep carry aftermarket clips look just plain unattractive in my eyes. Just my opinion there - I know lots of you love them, and that's awesome.
I agree on everything you said. I will allow the free market to work and not purchase one until it's corrected.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Love the size compared to the 2,

Don't know why the clip is a issue for people when you can move it to the other end and have no lanyard hole in the way.
It's asking to change something that already has a solution. (Several as its 4 way carry)

Don't get me started on lanyards on folders..............
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Spyderpig123

Post by Spyderpig123 »

Is the para 3 suited for whittling?