Advocate Update?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rybu0305

Advocate Update?

Post by rybu0305 »

I was an early adopter of the Advocate and ended up returning mine early on. I still love the design and want to own an Advocate. Maybe I missed it but, I have not seen an updates on this forum lately and was trying to find some information today. I found a post on BF from Sal. I don't know if I am allowed to link to it here so I will just quote his post.
Most of the problems we've encountered have been "adjusted", but we also believe there is a problem with the design that must be corrected. We also have to recognize that many will adjust their knives and so the materials will have o be sorted so this does not create a problem. Which means a re-design.

sal
So my questions are:
- Is there a time frame for when these "re-designed" Advocates will hit the market?
- How will we know when the new ones are being distributed?
- How will we be able to tell if an Advocate has the improvements or is from original stock?

I am really looking forward to owning one of these along with some of the other great models coming out this year.

Thanks
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
sal

Re: Advocate Update?

Post by sal »

Hi Rybu,

Once we have a solution, which we don't have yet, we have to find out if it can be done to current stock. So we don't have any time-lines that I can quote. Thanx much for your patience and kind understanding.

sal
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Sal,

Thank you for the reply. I will stay tuned. There are plenty of other Spydercos for me to look forward to and save up for in the meantime.

Ryan
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
sal

Post by sal »

More updates:

We've actually only received a few in customer service and we've sold hundreds. All of the ones received in customer service had been "adjusted". We've spoken with most of the customers and we'll be replacing them. While we have the current order in production on hold, we're still shipping the originals. We ask that if you do have any problems with them, that you send them to us rather than "fixing" them yourself.

sal
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I must say that mine opens smoothly and "shakes" shut. The blade cuts and cuts and the ergos are great. It's a keeper.
donsea

Post by donsea »

Hi Sal,

Mine hasn't left my pocket since I received it a few weeks ago. No problem with the bearings so far.

I hope that you do not mind me asking, but I wonder whether the bearings in the Advocate and Mantra differ from the ones in the Domino, Dice, Magnitude and Rubicon? I do not recall reading any complaints about the bearings in those knives.

Best regards, Davy
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Donsea,

Welcome to our forum.

Yes, they are different.

sal
donsea

Post by donsea »

Thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome Sal. Have a nice day!