C41CFFP5 - what happened?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
euphorbioid

C41CFFP5 - what happened?

Post by euphorbioid »

I received an e-mail and call from Knifecenter today concerning this knife which I had on backorder. The person who called said that this model was not going to be made. The e-mail said it was unavailable. This sounded like a pretty cool knife with fluted carbon fiber. Was this model not made at all or in such small numbers that I missed it? Thanks.
ABX2011

Re: C41CFFP5 - what happened?

Post by ABX2011 »

The fluted CF Damascus Anniv Native 5 was just released. Just guessing here - if they cancelled the other fluted CF version it's probably because of unexpected difficulty/expense with machining the CF. Or a problem with the material itself. Availability or quality.
euphorbioid

Post by euphorbioid »

On page 3 of this thread: "Spyderco Native5 40th Anniversary Sprint Run", somebody else mentions the same call and e-mail. Unfortunately, guess it's true. Anybody heard from any other dealers?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bummer. I have no interest in the Damascus version and was hoping to pick up the standard version.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I extremely disappointed with this news. The knife was a highlight of the year.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Ouch, I was excited about this one, especially if it had contoured handles like the fluted Ti Native5 (my precious!). Still hoping for linerless CF lightweights of the Native5 and Manix2.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, everyone:
Our apologies for the disappointment. We had originally planned to make the C41CFFP5, but it evolved over time into the 40th anniversary Native. We appreciate your feedback and we are listening. I've made sure that your comments will be shared with our product team.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Thank you Kristi for the reply. I can appreciate the evolution and redundancy of the two similar products. I probably won't miss it, but many others have expressed a liking for the more plain s90v blade.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

TazKristi wrote:Hi, everyone:
Our apologies for the disappointment. We had originally planned to make the C41CFFP5, but it evolved over time into the 40th anniversary Native. We appreciate your feedback and we are listening. I've made sure that your comments will be shared with our product team.

Kristi
Kristi,

Thank you for listening. Please, please make C41CFFP5 happen.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Bladewacked wrote:Thank you Kristi for the reply. I can appreciate the evolution and redundancy of the two similar products. I probably won't miss it, but many others have expressed a liking for the more plain s90v blade.
Any steel without huge 40 will do the trick for me. It doesn't have to be an upgraded super steel for me. S35VN works fine for me. S110V will be great and anything in between.

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bh49 wrote:
TazKristi wrote:Hi, everyone:

Kristi
Kristi,

Thank you for listening. Please, please make C41CFFP5 happen.
Roman
Forum knife 2017. Fluted CF, Lc200n steel.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

tvenuto wrote:Forum knife 2017. Fluted CF, Lc200n steel.
Oooooo, that is a good idea! Did you pick that (corrosion resistant) steel because it's linerless so corrosion is not an issue for the handle?
I think it would also be appealing in Maxamet. :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ABX2011 wrote:
tvenuto wrote:Forum knife 2017. Fluted CF, Lc200n steel.
Oooooo, that is a good idea! Did you pick that (corrosion resistant) steel because it's linerless so corrosion is not an issue for the handle?
I think it would also be appealing in Maxamet. :D
Mostly because I personally value: corrosion resistance and I've not yet tried Lc200n. I also love back locks and think the fluted CF is super cool.

To be honest I think the steel (as long as it's stainless) is the least important aspect of any forum knife, but that's just me. I know other people always want something sexy on the forum knife, so I got out in front of it by suggesting something I'd like.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

tvenuto wrote: Forum knife 2017. Fluted CF, Lc200n steel.
I love the idea, but I am afraid that the knife will be too expensive for Forum knife :(

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bh49 wrote:Any steel without huge 40 will do the trick for me. It doesn't have to be an upgraded super steel for me. S35VN works fine for me. S110V will be great and anything in between.
^ This! I'd be perfectly happy with a N5 fluted CF with S35VN but S90V or S110V would be fine too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Frankly I would like to see CF Fluted N5 as a limited production like Ti Fluted. And why not?
Guess what? I would love to see N5 just with contoured non-black G10 scales as well.