Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Sharpmaker

Post by murphjd25 »

Can't believe I never found one of these earlier in my life. Just picked up one from cabelas. Was always taught on arki stones from my grandpa, he would absolutely love this thing! Just put an even sharper edge on my new PM2 and Manix2! :-)
Josh
Ryno

Re: Sharpmaker

Post by Ryno »

Sharpmaker and crock sticks in general are excellent tools for sharpening. SM is a definite improvement over normal crock sticks. There are a few other sharpening tools in my drawer, but the sharpmaker does most things. You wouldn't want to reprofile a high carbide blade with the SM or tote it through the woods, but it works well for day to day stuff.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

What is your opinion on leather strops? Always hear people talking about stropping there blade after they sharpen. Would that be a worthwhile investment, KP has a sweet looking one.
Josh
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Opinions vary on strops. I don't use them so I don't have much of an opinion. That said, I can take any steel to a hair whittling edge on the regular fine stones on the sharpmaker. I can also bring an edge that has lost that "crisp" bite back to that level of sharpness with 3 or 4 passes on the fine stones. I just don't really see where I would get any added benefit from using a strop.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I am more then impressed with the sharpness I got out of the fine stones.
Josh
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I tend to agree with what other have already said and would only add that strops seem to produce about the same effect for me, a few passes on a strop bring back an edge nicely.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."