Kreg Jig K4 system

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Kreg Jig K4 system

Post by jackknifeh »

Has anyone used the Kreg joint systems? I became aware of them a few years ago and really thought it was a nice tool. I also have tried to pre-drill holes and countersink them with a regular drill. My advice is don't try that. Not on joints that need to look good anyway. Has anyone heart the kids story "The House That Jack Built"? That is what my boxes looked like. :) Well the other day (2 days before father's day) my wife had seen the Kreg infomercial on tv and then looked it up on the computer. She showed it to me and asked if I would like one for father's day. Since she was twisting my arm I went to Lowe's and came back with one of the sets. A Kreg Master system. Of course these sets give you just enough stuff to prove you need more clamps or block extensions or any (or all :)) of the Kreg accessories. :D Wife was wanting a shelf in the bathroom 15" long and 8" deep. I used two 1x4's and "Kregging" them together side by side created a 7.5" deep shelf. A very small amount of sanding and a quick Dremel router around the top edge and I had the shelf. When I bought that set I also got a box of 5 different Kreg screws for different size joints. I haven't don the math but I think they are more expensive than screws you can get that aren't specialized sort of. But here's a cool thing. If you want to use glue for your box or whatever you can drill the hole, apply glue and screw it together. When the glue is dry you can remove the screws and use them again. Pretty smart huh? Who thinks I'm the first one to think of that? Me either. Wife also has been talking about getting a toy box for our grandson's toys. She also suggested me making one. I was not excited about that because my wood working skills aren't all that good. I can make a "box" but I have never made a beautiful box. The best thing I can say is my boxes don't fall apart. :) But now I'm excited about it. I am 99% sure I'll be able to get the thing together with only enough wood to make a box. Meaning I don't think I'll need the 2x2s I always put around the bottom, corners and top of the box. I'm going to build the entire box of 1x4's. I was amazed when I went to Lowe's and found some untreated white pine boards for $1.98. And they actually look good. Most are cut nice and very few knots and NO big knots. I mean even the knots are attractive looking. I think some stain and this will be a pretty nice box. The wood being untreated will mean it won't be overly heavy. It seems this tool is capable of a lot more than just square boxes or 90 degree joints. So I was wondering if anyone else has used them and expecially stories about furniture repair or anything that a Kreg made easier. I'm thinking I'll soon feel this tool will be right up there with Dremel products as far as usefulness goes. I just now thought of another question. Does anyone know of a site or sites where plans are available. Inexpensive plans are great. Free are better. A set of barstools is a project I may be doing soon. I can sit on a bar stool and I can fall off. That's about the extent of my expertise. :) Plans for different styles would be nice though. I have only built one 15"x7.5" shelf with the Kreg so far. But, in that one small project I EASILY performed two or three things I've done before. This time the job was done in about 1/4th the time and done well. In addition to the basic tool the clamps that can reach 3 - 6 (or more) inches into the piece are also a lifesaver. Shoot, I may cook some popcorn and watch the Kreg DVD again. :D

So does anyone have any Kreg comments or stories? Does anyone use screws other than Kreg screws? Seems to me any screw will do as long as it's the right size and optimal thread size.

Jack

PS
About my toy box. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have hinges that can be adjusted to hold the lid open at any position. I'm thinking routing the top of the box around the edge and also routing the bottom of the side of the lid so they overlap, preventing the lid from twisting but also looking flush from the outside. The lid will have a 1x4 vertical board around the outside of the horizontal boards for the top. Hope that made sense. This is as far as I've thought it through in addition to just making a box. Little wooden legs maybe? Then I could reinforce the bottom (also made of 1x4s). I want the box to be light as I can make it but also very strong. I'm going to use wood glue in additions to screws. Removing the screws after the glue dries is an option to save a buck or two but, I don't want to remove them and sacrifice strength. I'm going to put two holes in the end of every 1x4 to prevent the boards from twisting. I've made lots of things focusing on functionality but never made any type of furniture that needs to look good.