Do "Collectors Club" knives tend to be worth more/more desirable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lost

Do "Collectors Club" knives tend to be worth more/more desirable?

Post by Lost »

If there were two knives, both exactly the same except one had the "Collectors Club" number/variant stamp on it and the other didnt.. Would one be more desirable years from now over the other? If you guys were buying a knife right now and had to choose between the two, which would you buy?
Liquid Cobra

Re: Do "Collectors Club" knives tend to be worth more/more desirable?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I would prefer the one without the CC number and would expect to pay a little less for it. Some people go the other way though.

Edit: I meant to say that I would expect to pay a little less for a knife with a CC number on it.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I would prefer the one without the CC number and would expect to pay a little less for it. Some people go the other way though.
X2!!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
KevinOubre

Post by KevinOubre »

It depends on how big of a collector the individual buying is and whether they want to use it. For example, while I would certainly call myself a collector, I don have any safe queens so to me, between the collectors club and the non collectors club model, I'd just get whichever cost less since the collectors club wont stay mint to preserve value so paying the potentially higher price for that isn't of interest to me. But that's just me. Others are different. I know some guys that prefer the collectors club pieces. I do however have a collectors club K2.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi LuxN!

- Strictly from a Collector's point of view YES, those CC stamped blades are more desirable, and certainly worth a little more than average production.

By definition, CC blades belong to a Limited Series, and that's the reason why they're numbered.

- OTOH from a User's point of view NO, there's no difference between a CC stamped blade and a regular production one.

- Which one would I buy? It'll depend if I'm a Collector or a User. :rolleyes:
paladin

Post by paladin »

I'd say "CC" stamped knives have a higher desirability for most afi's because they're a better guarantee against being counterfeit...

They are easier to trace the pedigree of the knife, in some cases...

Folks who initially own them have contracted with an official Spyderco supplier/dealer to buy each release, so they are guaranteed to have come straight from Spyderco...

At first blush it would seem easy to fake CC numbers, however even with that taken into consideration, I've never heard of a fake carrying a collector's club number, YET-- I almost hate mentioning it :eek:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I always choose no CC#. In fact, every order I place for a new release has a note requesting no CC# marked blade. I just don't like the extra clutter on the blade. Plus, not being a CC member, it seems to me kind of like having someone else's initials engraved on the blade. Whether it's worth a few dollars more in 10 years is of little concern to me, as I like to enjoy looking at all my knives, even if I don't use them to cut things. I will always pay more for a clean blade if it's an option.
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I have both with and without the CC designation. Since most of mine are safe queens, it really doesn't bother me either way. ;) I'll buy whichever is more readily available, really.
303_enfield

Post by 303_enfield »

If I need the knife, like an old 1st Gen C65, I'll take a new CC marked one anytime. The large part of the value of being a collector is having the opportunity to receive one of the first 200 production pieces (or 999 pieces).
Last edited by 303_enfield on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always looking for the right one :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Personally, I wouldn't want those numbers on my knives even if it was my number (which I don't even have). It's a cool idea but not for me.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

gbelleh wrote:I always choose no CC#. In fact, every order I place for a new release has a note requesting no CC# marked blade. I just don't like the extra clutter on the blade. Plus, not being a CC member, it seems to me kind of like having someone else's initials engraved on the blade. Whether it's worth a few dollars more in 10 years is of little concern to me, as I like to enjoy looking at all my knives, even if I don't use them to cut things. I will always pay more for a clean blade if it's an option.
That's a good point I forgot to mention. It's not my collector club number, so I wouldn't want it there. It's like buying a new car and keeping the last guys vanity plates on it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

I also ask for no number on new releases. Now I were rolling in the money I would get into the collectors club if I could and I would want a number...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I do not really care either way but would prefer my blades without it if possible. It adds no value for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Another vote for "no, if possible." If it were a hard to come by model, a CC number wouldn't be a deal breaker, but in general I would avoid them. To answer your initial question, I believe they would be less valuable in the future, if only very slightly.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In some folks eyes, CC#'s merely add clutter to the blade, but they carry a cachet of exclusivity for others. As a result, few will pay more for them, some will avoid them, and some won't care one way or the other, especially if the knife is a desirable Sprint or Exclusive.

Worst point against them is that it guarantees early production, so more of a chance of the type "teething pains" new models of anything sometimes experience.

Greatest point for them is that, AFAIK, none of the counterfeiters bother to number knives. So, at least on the secondary market, a CC# lowers the risk of getting burned by a fake considerably.

They also make the knife easier to identify, a plus if it's stolen and recovered, a minus if you're paranoid about having things traced back to you.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I prefer no CC number, if this is possible.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

No strong feelings either way from me- I won't pay a premium for a CC# blade but nor would I turn one down if I wanted the knife.

That's both from a collector and user perspective.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

If given the choice i'll take the CC version, but i wont pay more for it. If more is being asked for the CC then i just take the regular version.

JD