Domino Mods!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jylong_away

Domino Mods!

Post by jylong_away »

I've been carrying the Domino since I first got it, about a year or so ago. It's even managed to displaced my modded PM2 s90V from daily carry. While the overall ergos of the PM2 are somewhat more versatile, I just can't get over that danged flipper and bearings! Waaay to addictive!

I've a tinkerer by nature, though, so I just can't resist tweaking things that I think could be improved. So what have I done?

1) Replaced the factory bearing with some replacement 1/4" bearings from USA Knifemaker. They have brass cages, and in all honesty, seem to run a bit more smoothly and with lower maintainence than the stock ones

2) Increased the detent pressure using the method described by Modifiedz on his youtube channel (he was doing it on Hinderers, but same effect!)

Both those things combined to make a flipper which just *shoots* the blade open. Good thing there's the steel insert, if not the Ti would be somewhat worn down by now...

3) WAVE!!!
20141005_111032.jpg
20141005_111008.jpg
Have gotten reasonably good at waving Spydercos now, so the mods are not only working well, but I think are blending in ok with the overall lines of the blade. The feel is a bit different on the Domino, since the opening hole is a bit more forwards from the pivot, and I don't really believe in cutting through the hole for waving (it makes a really effective wave, but doesn't do favours for blade strength). Have managed to preserve the blade logos during the modding of my PM2, but unfortunately the Spyder had to donate 2 legs to make this one work...
20141005_111049.jpg
Combine that with the smoothness of the bearings, and the increased detent pressure, and it makes for one consistent wave opening! Thanks for looking!
HarleyXJGuy

Re: Domino Mods!

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

Cool mod.

Not something I would do to this knife. Everytime the wave feature is used is one less flip I get to do.

Less playing with my flipper is a bad thing. :)
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I admire the skills you have to do this, although it's a shock seeing the blade like this. You must be doing these mods with round stone bits, chucked in a mill? Or are you freehanding?

How do you keep the blade cool during the operation?
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

Bolster wrote:I admire the skills you have to do this, although it's a shock seeing the blade like this. You must be doing these mods with round stone bits, chucked in a mill? Or are you freehanding?

How do you keep the blade cool during the operation?
Handheld with various dremel bits :D Blade gets taken apart and taped for safety. I just intermittently dip the blade in a cup of water. Since I'm holding it by hand, it never really gets that hot tho..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A flipper, a wave and a spydie hole. The hole is enough for me and I only need one way to open a knife but now you have options if you want them.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, lots of opening options. Don't forget the Spydie drop, and inertial opening too.

Nice job on the mod.
:bug-red-white
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

double post :confused:
:bug-red-white
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Nice work, always interesting to see how people modify folders to their liking. Looks like it could easily do double-duty as a bottle opener.
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

tvenuto wrote:Looks like it could easily do double-duty as a bottle opener.
yup
endgame

Post by endgame »

how good does the wave work.on it