White House Intruder had a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

White House Intruder had a Spyderco

Post by phillipsted »

I just saw the news report about the intruder at the White House today. He scaled the fence and ran into the White House complex. When the SS arrested him, he was carrying a "3 1/2 inch serrated VG-10 Spyderco knife" in his pants pocket. They didn't identify the model beyond that - it could be a couple of them... But they were charging him with "unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon."

The guy evidently had some mental issues (he wanted to alert the President that "the atmosphere was collapsing") - but this isn't good for the knife rights movement - or for Spyderco...

TedP
Partick953

Re: White House Intruder had a Spyderco

Post by Partick953 »

just saw this too on CNN, any speculation on which model?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Those scary serrations would have allowed him to slit the throats of everyone in the white house if not for those brave secret service men. Ban Spyderco knives!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

What a terrible shame. It very easily could have been a no-name box cutter. I too truly hope that Spyderco doesn't receive any negative repercussions from this.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I doubt there will be an issue, the knife is legal.....

The guy just happened to have it on him when he jumped the fence.
Bugout Bill

Post by Bugout Bill »

I think the classy response from Spyderco would be to chew out CNN and point out how many first responders, military, law enforcement, and law abiding civilians carry their products on a daily basis.
" Two guns, flashlight, two 12-gauge cartridges, and a knife because—just because—every little boy should have a knife.." -- Louis Awerbuck on his EDC
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Anyone know what model? Caly 3.5? Stretch?

I think the average response to learning it was a Spyderco will be "WTF is a Spyderco?"
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Perhaps it will make them all Google spyderco and we'll have a plethora of members joining us and their sales will go up since the company name was said on the news! :) Have to stay positive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It would be more damaging for them to mention what party he's registered to vote for.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

spyderHS08 wrote:Perhaps it will make them all Google spyderco and we'll have a plethora of members joining us and their sales will go up since the company name was said on the news! :) Have to stay positive!
Yes. I like this response.
O.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think it's a pretty desparate attempt by Spyderco to donate a Spydie to the president; UPS would work better guys! ;)
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

Mr Blonde wrote:I think it's a pretty desparate attempt by Spyderco to donate a Spydie to the president; UPS would work better guys! ;)
Now that's pretty funny, right there.

Actually, according to Mr. Janich and his friend, Pork Man, a PE is more dangerous to human flesh, especially if you're wearing denim or Carhartts, etc.

I doubt that Spyderco will incur any lasting damage from this. Anyone with a brain knows what the real deal is, even if they aren't a knife person. You may see some of the same knee-jerk reaction that Glock occasionally deals with. Anytime a company becomes so prominent in this industry, they become an easier target for the clueless liberal types who have never even been in the same room with a gun, or used a knife except to cut strawberries. They are also the same people who, after several mass shootings in the news, or a home invasion, will go buy a Glock 9mm and a Spyderco knife because they have heard of them before and know they get the job done.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I do remember reading somewhere that Obama is very fond of his Carhartts for casual White House day.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Obama gifted a knife by Spyderco? Or Bush? I seem to recall something about it.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

No such thing as bad press.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Evil D wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Obama gifted a knife by Spyderco? Or Bush? I seem to recall something about it.
You are correct. If I remember the story correctly they were gifted a fluted titanium Native 5 during the presidents visit to Golden. The White House then returned the gift if memory serves me correctly.
chasehood

Post by chasehood »

You are correct. If I remember the story correctly they were gifted a fluted titanium Native 5 during the presidents visit to Golden. The White House then returned the gift if memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

i would like to hear more about this story instead.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

On the today show, they flashed a stock photo of a FRN Stretch SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Knowing the mainstream media, it was likely a Honeybee with a few chips in the edge. That sounds like the dangerous exaggerations they usually spew as news.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

From my understanding and from what I have read over here it seems this is more about covering up for the Secret Service. They let a guy climb the fence, run accross the lawn and enter the White House through an unlocked door. Time to let the Marines take over security, the bodycount might increase but at least the White House will be safe :D