carrying in NYC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
r small

carrying in NYC

Post by r small »

I know this has been hashed over pretty good but I haven't seen anything recent. I'm planning a trip to NYC in the near future just to get out and about the city and have some fun. But I hate leaving my house without carrying at least a Dragonfly. Preferably a Delica, Stretch, or Endura. My understanding is that in NYC you can't carry any folding knife, regardless of blade length, or whether or not it is locking or non-locking. Is this true? Heck, that would rule out a Swiss army knife or even a tiny little Ladybug.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Spyderco needs to make tactical folding spoons in situations like that.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Leave your good knives at home, bring a small non locking SAK with you if you have to. What is law and how John Q. Law reacts to those laws are two different things. Do yourself a favor, leave them home.
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

If you must have a knife on you i would suggest Deep pocket carry. An exposed clip will give PD reason to notice you. I would also echo not bringing any knife you wouldn't mind having taken from you.

Fwiw when I go to the city I don't carry a knife, I have an impact kerambit. It is nonmetallic so if you happen to visit a place with metal detectors you can still go in.

Ps... I am not a lawyer. Your results may vary

-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
r small

Post by r small »

What worry's me is this "stop and frisk" policy they have in NYC. The cops can stop anyone, any time, any where on the street and pat them down looking for "weapons". I've heard of even older respectable looking guys getting stopped. Maybe the cops figure that if they stop a few middle-aged judges and investment bankers they can't be accused of "profiling". I guess the U.S. Constitution doesn't apply in NYC.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi R Small,

We've been shipping Slipits into New York City with no complaints or problems. A light weight UK, Squeak, Pingo or Wings Slipit should be ok. Not a good idea to let a clip show as it is considered "intimidating". A deep pocket wire clip might work. It permits the carry of a high performance steel that's legal to carry.

sal
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

I brought Squeak and Dragonfly2 H-1 with me to NYC. No problems at all, except when I forgot to remove the Squeak from my camera bag which I brought to the WTC Memorial. It was taken by security, and I was given a claim ticket to pick it up after we finished the tour. That was it. I always had a knife with me, along with a kubotan.

Enjoy your trip!
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
r small

Post by r small »

Thanks, Sal. That's good to hear. A small slipit was what I had in mind.
arty

Post by arty »

From what I have read, clips are a problem in NYC. I would remove the clip while in NY and keep any pocket knife in your pocket.
I am not a lawyer, but a locking knife that can be opened too readily could be called a "gravity knife" or switchblade by an over zealous officer.
I might carry a traditional liner lock, like. Queen when in NY, as it is not easy to open. You are safest with a slippy.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

When traveling I keep it really simple. Any knife has to be small enough and cheap enough that I would forfeit without thinking twice. Probaly the Squeak or one of the cheaper Chinese Slipits would be my pick (Bug, Honeybee, etc).

As for something to carry to feel safe I would grab anything but a knife. A flashlight, pen, briefcase, anything really. Locals tend to deal with local laws more efficiently. Bright eye and bushy-tail tourists don't need to be stopped with anything bordering on eccentric.
r small

Post by r small »

I have a CCP so if I feel the need for a defensive weapon I carry a .38 or a little .22 mini mag (where legal). I consider a knife much more as a tool than weapon but I still feel kind of naked if I don't have one on me (which is rare). I would use pepper spray before I would resort to a knife. If I make the trip to NYC I will carry pepperspray in one pocket and a small slipit in another. The Squeak looks like a slick little knife. Not too pricey so if somehow it ended up getting confiscated it wouldn't hurt too bad. The Byrd Tern looks like a good choice too and for less money.
Clearcut

Post by Clearcut »

I have lived in NY all my life and go to the city at least 5 times a month, my buddy is NYPD he says if he sees a pocket clip he stops and searches, when i go to the city i run a standard SAK and thats it, i have carried my para but leave in deep in pocket and dont bring any attention to it.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

In the last 2 years I've been to NYC on business about 6 times. Most of the time I'm there for 4 days to a week. I have carried a Dragonfly, a SAK and even a Sage I (not all at the same time, just one at a time). If I have an untucked shirt on, I clip it to my pocket as my shirt covers the clip. If I'm wearing khakis and a button down shirt I just drop the knife in my pocket. I've never had a problem. In NYC I have walked all over the place, been in and out of subways etc. and never had a problem.

I still think a lot of it is how you carry yourself. I look like I have work to do and I am not causing trouble. I am clean cut and well groomed. I don't look like some slacker with my pant legs dragging the sidewalk, nor do I look drunk or homeless. I usually have a backpack with me unless I just took a quick walk after work or during lunch. In NYC there are a lot of people I think that would get "profiled" before I would.

I have a cable lock made for a firearm that I put through the Spyderco Hole and I lock my knife to the metal frame of my checked bag. I also tie some para-cord around the non-pivot end of the handle to keep the blade shut during travel. Never had a problem.

Enjoy your trip. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

David Lowry wrote: I have a cable lock made for a firearm that I put through the Spyderco Hole and I lock my knife to the metal frame of my checked bag. I also tie some para-cord around the non-pivot end of the handle to keep the blade shut during travel. Never had a problem.

Enjoy your trip. :)
Boy, I like that idea David.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

I also heard a concealed fixed blade less than x amount of inches is legal in NYC. Is this true as well?
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Fixed blade with length under 4" is legal (concealed). Slip it with blade under 3" is legal.

Deep carry of any locking folder is illegal (you will be in trouble if you're caught). Pepperspray is illegal to carry.

Those are facts, how you recognize them is up to you. Manhattan resident for 6+ years unfortunately.
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
r small

Post by r small »

Wow. Can't even carry pepper spray? Good to hear slipits are okay.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Deep carry of any locking folder is illegal (you will be in trouble if you're caught).
Curious what "deep carry" means in this? Pocket, Down in your crotch, "suitcased" while entering or in a jail?
my buddy is NYPD he says if he sees a pocket clip he stops and searches
Clearcut, does he have the ability to make decisions based on his gut or must he act in a certain way such as consfication, citation, etc?

I stress I'm just curious, not being argumentative or provocative.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Detdaddy wrote:Boy, I like that idea David.
Thanks. I got it from someone else a few years back somewhere on the forums. How you been? Not seen you (literally) in a few years. You still local to me?
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

I don't know anything about the New York City laws, but if wearing jeans, you can put a Squeak in the little pocket on the right. It fits better if you remove the clip, but for me it fits either with or without the clip.
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D