Dodo performance?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Dodo performance?

Post by Clip »

After seeing the Dodo hysteria first-hand in the availability thread, I decided that I, too, needed a Dodo no matter what. I hadn't even known this knife existed before I stumbled on page 3 of people trying to locate these things in a panic.

Now, I can't stop looking at this thing. Anyone on here own one of the old ones released in 2003-2005 I think? All I can find on Youtube are reviews of people unboxing the older blue/black ones for the first time or previewing this current sprint. I'd like to hear some experiences with people that EDC these or have in the past.

Thanks!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

I carried one of the blue ones on and off for years. Youtube video link of a video I made comparing the two: http://youtu.be/iKnS5ExbZwc

It is a very specialized knife in my experience. Its a box cutter, tape cutter. It's not a wood working knife or a food prep knife.
The new orange one definitely feels more solid, but I don't remember what the blue one was like out of the box as it's been a long time.

It's a very, very unique knife, with a cool lock, and there's nothing like it. Therein lies the allure.

I personally can't get enough dodo. I bought two of the new orange ones just to be safe.
Buy one if possible.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks for the link, good eye noticing the innards in the new one
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I have a black one in SE, and though it's bee a while since I EDCed it, I still think it's an awesome knife.

It's great for pull cuts, but unlike any other hawkbill, it has a belly that can help in the slicing. It eats cardboard like crazy and it'll slice through other things just as easy.

The only thing is it won't be able to cut on a cutting board easily, it won't be useful if you need to do some scraping or have to cut some bread, but it's amazing if you regularly cut things without a cutting board.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Sounds to me like the Dodo blade excels at the same kind of cutting my Cricket did. Except the far more ergonomic handle will be safer, more comfortable, and will allow for more precision.

And that type of cutting is basically anything EDC oriented besides food prep (unless opening bags of jerky is food prep!).

Mine comes tomorrow. Excited.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Good for everything but use on a cutting board. Carries very wide and generally has a hard time sharing a pocket with anything else. Has an odd dichotomy during use in public around NKPs. The blue handle and small size make it approachable but the curving, claw shaped blade is subtly threatening to some.

G10 is grippy but wears in nicely, as to be expected with the excellent material Spyderco sources. Handle is made for the human hand, you grab the knife and you're just locked in. Weight is perfect, no liners and a slightly forward balance reward good cutting technique. Ball lock is generally intuitive to use but during use when it's wet and slippery it requires a thumbnail or a lot of pressure. Pocket clip is very good, minimal, light and functional. Serrated edge is a better option for general use than plain edge, less maintenance with essentially no difference in cutting ability or profile.

Honing is easy with the Sharpmaker. Sharpening is difficult with the Sharpmaker. If sharpening is required of the plain edge model it is better to use a thin benchstone turned on it's side and supported. It's easy to get into the curves with a thin stone.

It's one of the few designs I wish I still owned.