Terzuola Slipit Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Terzuola Slipit Review

Post by jabba359 »

I've had my eye on the Bob Terzuola Slipit ever since it was first announced, but I kept putting off purchasing it for various reasons, thinking it would stick around for quite a while. So I was quite surprised to see it on the discontinued list that came out last week and immediately ordered one, knowing I would regret it if I missed out on getting one. Well, today my Bob T. arrived and I must say that it is everything I had hoped it would be.

As many of you probably also have come to expect, the Taiwan fit and finish is top-notch, though with one exception. There is a noticeable gap between the backspacer and one of the scales (see last picture). It is not enough to cause any problems, but is merely a cosmetic annoyance. But the rest of the knife is superb. The blade came extremely sharp, as most Spydercos do, and the bevel is perfectly even at the tip and looks to be quite even down the entire length of the blade. The blade shape is beautiful to look at and I really like the swedge on the front half of the spine. The carbon fiber is gorgeous and has the pleasant woven texture that we've come to know and love. The lanyard is a nice touch, but I'm not typically a lanyard guy. I'll give it some pocket time before deciding whether or not to keep it on there.

This is my first slipit model and I was surprised by the strength of the detent springs as well as the authoritative "snap" of them dropping into place when the blade is open. While I wouldn't go spine-whacking the Terzuola, the strong springs provide a very safe feel, despite the lack of a real lock. The half-way point is marked by a very solid stop in blade travel and, when closed, the blade is firmly held shut. The action is not as smooth as I'm used to since the springs exert considerable tension against the blade, but this may get better with repeated openings and closings or it may just be how slipits feel. Either way, this doesn't feel like a knife that will be flicking open, as it requires constant pressure to fully deploy. As a side note, I found the detent interesting in that the hole goes all the way through the blade rather than just being an indent, giving the knife a second "spyderhole" if you will. You can see it in the picture below.

Ergonomically, it fits my hand fine and I felt comfortable with my index finger in the choil with the other three behind on the handle, but while cutting the peppers I found myself with all four fingers behind the choil, which was comfortable just as well. The jimping on the spine has just the right amount of aggressiveness, offering good tactile feedback without feeling too abrasive. I'm a fan of the skinny, dark chrome clip and the Terzuola namesake written on it adds an interesting touch.

As you can tell, I'm very happy with my purchase. At the price point, you'll be hard pressed to find a finer knife to add to your collection. I'm glad that I picked one up while they're still available at reasonable prices on the market and suggest everyone who doesn't yet have one do the same. The knife is well engineered and I was very delighted to find that the slipit offers a solid tool that is much more functional than I would have imagined from a non-locking folder. I'll leave you with a couple more pictures.

-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Great review and AWESOME pictures jabba. :)
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Great Review and great pictures!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice review, and very nice pictures.

The Terzuola slipit has a very different feel than any other slipit I've had. It takes quite a bit more force to open. Not bad, just different.

I can't find any cosmetic flaws on mine. Flaws seem pretty rare on Taichung knives. The only thing I don't really like about the Terzuola slipit is that lanyard. It angles up right into where the hand goes, and gets in the way. The way the clip is mounted, the lanyard seems totally unnecessary anyway. And it can't easily be removed without permanently altering the knife's original state, then you're still left with the attachment sticking out. Anyway, it's still very nice, and I'm surprised to see it discontinued so soon.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I own one and I love it and yet, I never carry it. I haven't managed to figure out why either...
On the hunt for...
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Great review. Thanks for that. I've been slinking around this one for months now. The fact that it's going to be discontinued might provide enough motivation to actually buy one now ;)
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

thx for review . love mine . greeetzzzz

Post by 224477 »

thanks for the review, it was nice reading :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

The Bob T is my favorite Spydie:Jabba hit the high points, but I would stress how thin and light the knife is. It just disappears into your pocket. (I removed the clip from the one I carry.) It still has enough size to cut whatever I need to cut on a daily basis.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I removed the clip from mine as well. Next week, I'm going to get rid of the lanyard. As gbelleh noted, the problem is the carbon fiber attachment point on the backspacer, not the actual lanyard.

I'm going to grind mine down with my belt sander and polish it out with the dremel. Some other folks on the Forum have done this, and with a little care, it turns out looking nice. This is a UNIQUE feature of this knife - and I hate to remove part of Bob's original design... but I can't use the knife very easily with that thing poking into my palm...

TedP

P.S. - I've been working diligently to get mine broken in for the past few months. The action hasn't smoothed out at all. I've repeatedly opened and closed the blade, adjusted the pivot, lubed it... Nothing seems to "un-stiffen" it...
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd like to remove the lanyard attachment too, but I lack the proper tools and skills to do it right.
:bug-red-white
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

I love my bob t slippie, but the lanyard and attachment was the first thing to GO! An hour and some sand paper and it was gone and you can't even tell.

Mine has not loosened up at all, I do wish it was slightly easier to open like my UKPK, but I can live with it.